Getting a good edge on flat side of a knife? Help!

Anyone got any tips for sharpening the flat side of a conventional knife to turn it onto a dagger?

Last week I found a beautiful knife, jet black handle, fits my hand like it was meant to be there, with a full tang and best of all no manufacturer’s stamp on either blade or handle, and I want to use this but don’t know anything about how to get an edge on the flat side, and the internet’s only turning up results for knives that have just gone dull and need re-sharpening.

I have other ceremonial knives & blades, but I wanted one that exactly fits the specs in WoD, and this was love at first sight, it feels perfect.

So I figured someone here might have had the same challenge and know the best approach, maybe? Thanks in advance!

This looks like the same knife btw, mine’s from Sainsbury’s “Cook’s Collection” for £8:

I have a nice blade I shave with. I would get a sharpening stone. You can probably find a good one on Amazon.

BTW love the walls! :slight_smile: If I could find a place that had brick like that I would HAVE to own it! :smiley:

Put it in a vice and touch it with a sanding (aka flapper) wheel with a hand grinder. Finish it up with a few grades of polishing stones, to even it out with the coarser ones and sharpen it with the finer ones.

Look into a Lansky sharpening system, they come with a clamp and guides to make sure you keep your angles consistent. Grab the set with the extra course stone included, and maybe order an additional extra course stone as that’s more metal than you think when your removing it. If your pretty handy at this stuff listen to Andreeje but if your not use to doing stuff like this take the slower approach with the Lansky.

Looks like a kitchen knife so hopefully the steel is pretty soft to take a sharp edge fast so it shouldn’t wear your stone out too quick.

Thanks! That’s given me some leads to look up instructionals on Youtube, and then I can probably gauge from there what’s going to be the best approach.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Andreeje’s answer is 100% correct, I agree with TWF though about using guides to sharpen with control at a consistent angle. I personally recommend diamond for the initial shaping, then a couple of grades of stone. Good luck, and pics would be awesome as long as you don’t have a personal reticence about photographing ritual objects (I do so if so I understand)!

Hey i got a great athame that fit the exact specs from wod off of ebay for like 17 dollars and 4 dollars shipping.i didnt have to bid. Just search for ritual dagger or something similar. I also got a couple chalices the same way for around 20 a piece. That sounds like to much effort and money just to convert that kind of knife and its more trouble than its worth and no matter how hard you work on it it will never be exactly what you want. Trust me ive tried and its so much better to order it and wait a couple days. Ill post a pic when i get home

Depends on the practitioner; it’s definitely possible to get great effects and ‘resonance’ with a piece that you’ve made or worked at yourself.

This is what I use as a ritual knife. I use for anything an athame can do as well as baneful works.

I got a nice athame on eBay too it was like $15.

Honestly I don’t even use it half the time, I just visualize my finger as a sharp blade.

Ohh, and I did buy a hand-held sharpner there too for like $7. It’s ok, but I think it’s better to have a good sharpening stone or just pay to get it sharpened if you want it ‘razor’ sharp.

I’d say all you need is a metal file and a means to clamp the blade in place so it doesn’t move on you while you work. The file will cost you maybe 5-7 dollars at the hardware store.

Once the knife is secured run the file along the edge of the knife all the way down in one smooth motion. Keep doing that, from bast to tip, and just keep a smooth steady motion from one end to the other. The those square corners should go down fairly quickly.

Once you have that motion down, your end result should be pretty uniform edge.

That will get you the shape. If you want to polish it further, just stick anything mildly abrasive on the end something that spins like an electric drill.

http://www.wikihow.com/File-Metal

Good choice BTW, I can feel the heft of that blade just by looking at it. Making id double edged will change it’s character completely, making it more of a sword than a knife.

I really hope you’re planning on adding a hand guard after.

Go to a butchers shop, use your charm and ask him if he can sharpen your knife, as you would like to use it for the kitchen but it hasn’t got a nice blade, other then that get a stone like this http://www.cateringsuperstore.co.uk/Sharpening-Stone-p/d139.htm?gclid=CNm70pXbj74CFQgKwwodl24AfA and this from tesco KitchenCraft Master Class 120ml Knife Sharpening Oil
Catalogue Number: 415-0435
http://www.tesco.com/direct/KitchenCraft%20Master%20Class%20120ml%20Knife%20Sharpening%20Oil/415-0435.prd#yHuCierfEoIQeusV.99

Thank folks!

Things like daggers are a bit harder to buy online in England due to various legal restraints (for example our eBay doesn’t carry them at all), even kitchen knives sometimes require you to fax or scan proof you’re over 21, although I did find a shop selling athames that’s within travelling distance.

For now I want to try with this knife because it felt SO right, and I like to use objects that look more everyday wherever possible, which I know is the opposite of what some people like, just my own personal taste. I’ve got other blades but they’re either consecrated to one specific thing, like cutting away spirit intrusions during healing, or they don’t have the black handle, and I wanted this one to be new since I got the book for Easter.

I’m not sure I’d be able to affix a handguard, but I’m going to have a go myself on some practice knives from 2nd-hand shop, then if I don’t think I can make a decent job of it, ask a butcher - that’s a great idea Sunas, I hadn’t thought of that, and I’m on friendly terms with my local because I buy a lot of bones for stock and stuff, so thanks for that.

If I get a decent result I’ll photograph it prior to final consecration, and post it up here. Thanks again! :slight_smile: