From armchair to practicing witch

I have mentioned before that I have spent more time studying different methods than practicing. By doing so I have accumulated tons of knowledge and theories along the way. Knowing something intellectually is great but gets me nowhere when I’m being lazy about putting it to the test.

I am just coming off a brief internet hiatus to start just that. I plan to share some after work.

Also, I am not the greatest story teller so just bear with me as I navigate that as well. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

15 Likes

Now don’t you dare start acting like you’re better than us because you abandoned your post. All that research is hard work. We’re gonna miss you, brother.

Sin,
Order of Lazy-boys and Rocking Chairs

3 Likes

Most of us suffer from this I believe.

8 Likes

I’d only call it suffering when one starts to proclaim others’ opinions as their own. Having theoretical knowledge before you start a project couldn’t hurt. A bigger problem (everywhere) tends to be the ego’s fear of admitting that you don’t know the answer to a question that is asked after you made a statement. (not talking about you @Sabbatius :grinning:)

2 Likes

@anon496642 my quest for knowledge will never be over. It is too much of who I am. I just need to put in at least equal amounts practice. So we still stand United.

@Sabbatius it’s a pleasant suffering though.

@Yazata I am good at sticking with my own opinions unless something else makes sense. I then look into it and go from there. I do have an issue with not wanting to admit when I don’t have the answer for something though. It is one of the many things I am working on.

Work has been crazy so I haven’t been able to add to this yet. I haven’t had any profound breakthroughs but I have made progress. Though it may not be much it is nice to be getting somewhere.

Thank you for your comments. It is nice not to feel alone on a forum where there is so many who not only have the knowledge but the experience to back it up. It is in part what spurred my motivation.

5 Likes

Usually there’s merits to having a lot of theory knowledge before getting into practical, but I don’t think there’s as much merit when it comes to magic.

I see it as, you have all this knowledge in your head about how it’s going to go, but when you begin to work with and open senses of yours you never even knew you had, start to perceive and see things about reality you never felt/considered, everything you learned is going to become just words that you’ll have to re-apply to entirely new situations, and the process of doing that will feel entirely new.

So it could be helpful, but it will go and feel nothing like how you expected it would. I’d wager.

3 Likes

Very well stated. Context is a motherfucker.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even consider an ‘Armchair Witch’ a witch.

They’re just a scholar, a historian or memoriser of base facts. The experience is everything and the best/only way to learn.

4 Likes

No criticism but seek the few, maybe 3 or so, underlying principles that are always in operation. Consciousness is the only reality and there are just couple of derivatives but that’s it. Everything else works with these few things. Knowledge is fine–it too exists–but attachment to it barring the few fundamental truths will eventually cause problems because God cannot be restricted by knowledge except when it is true knowledge of God.

1 Like

How I interpreted this ‘going from armchair to practicing’ is like learning grammar and basic spelling before writing your novel, or learn the difference between the gas and the brakes before going down the highway, or learning some blocks and counters before stepping in the ring etc. It’s how everything else functions.
Of course you also learn by doing and making mistakes that could have been avoided.

4 Likes

Magic is alot like sex: you can read about it as much as you like, but it’s more something you pick up practically than learn through books.
My advice, to anyone who’s read alot but hasn’t got much experience, is to not cling too tightly to what you’ve read. Use the books as a vague guide to help you get started, but you should be aiming to move away from them and on to your own path as quickly as possible.

7 Likes

Ok I have been working on going back to the basics. I have been currently working on developing my senses and getting to the astral plane.

I have been on and off interested in astral projection since I was a child. My pawpaw would tell me about his experiences and I was fascinated. This was long before I even knew there was anything outside of Christianity. I never got anywhere though and eventually lost interest.

As a teenager, and first introduced to witchcraft I picked it up again. This time I read books on the subject and just knew it was the time. This time I was more patient with my lack or results in the begining. I didn’t expect success right away. Regardless, I still didn’t get anywhere with it and eventually moved on. Though I should mention that I had great success with lucid dreaming from this time forward.

So here we are. I knew when I took my break from the digital world to jumpstart my focus on the spiritual, that I wanted to revisit my old friend astral projection. So before that break I searched the forum for others experiences. In doing so I came across a recommendation for the book “the phase”. I didn’t agree with everything in the book, but the process made sense.

A few nights ago I was laying in bed, not far from sleep and a bit zoned out. Next thing I knew images were quickly changing like a film reel going too fast. I started to focus on them to try to slow it down and make the images out. Then came the pressure, buzzing, and vibrating.

From there every thing went downhill. I got excited thinking, wow it’s fucking happening, lost my focus and was snapped back to reality.

While the ending is disappointing, sure, but that was the closest I have ever been. I haven’t gotten that close again but I’m still working at it.

That’s the thing about magickal theory. When you actually get down to the practice, 99.9% of what you learn in books goes straight out the window.

Try this

Work your way through The Phase to get your lucid dreams and astral projections up and running, and post your results as they come in. The Phase is quick work - you should be lucid dreaming regularly in under a week, and projecting by June.

That way, you do both and your theory and practice are identical.

2 Likes

Tonight I will pull out my tarot cards for something beyond just practice. I am frustrated at my job. My manager is a dumbass. While it is a career that would never be super high paying. It’s freaking pizza. It is involved in many nostalgic moments. I actually enjoy helping create those moments. So I don’t necessarily want to leave.

I need to find out what is going on around all this. Should I stay or is there something better out there for me.

Results to follow after it calms down around here.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the book. The instructions felt like something that should have been obvious all along. I have faith that I will be able to soon.

I have been able to lucid dream since my teenage years. I actually learned using the anchor technique mentioned in the book, but was told to pinch myself though to prove I was awake. I have to say the phase’s method is far less painful.

1 Like

Well guys it appears that I am sticking around for a while longer. It seems as if I am going to leave later anyways, but it will be an easier process than the uphill battle I would have to face doing so right now.

For now I will stay put while keeping my options open. As I come across different opportunities I will come back and consult the cards.

1 Like

I realize to grow I need consistent practice. I, still, have not been doing that. I do some every day. It is just all over the place.

I need 2 routines. One for busy days and one for when I have plenty of time on my hands. I am going to start building on this today and will start tomorrow. If you have any suggestions feel free to share.

1 Like

I should add that there are a couple things that do make it on a regular basis. I meditate daily, practice astral projection 3 days a week, and lucid dreaming nightly. The rest I would do here and there as the feeling hit me.

1 Like

Try projecting to a place where you can do astral magick outside, or to an astral place where you can begin to create an astral temple.

Follow along with the high astral magick instructions in Liber KKK (Conjurations Sixteen to Twenty - Astral Magic).

3 Likes

Thank you. I am adding that to my regular practice.