Freezing - Air

Which element is dominant in the act of freezing?
Air seems most logical, but according to the medieval tradition, it is warm and moist.

Scientifically speaking, freezing is an action upon an element, not a quality of the element itself - for example, air (and the component gases of our atmosphere) can be frozen into a liquid form, and can even be rendered solid (earth-like) if they’re reduced to a low enough temperature - apparently solid oxygen is pale blue in colour, for example.

So all elements can exist as a solid (apart from helium), a liquid, or a gas. Air is definitely “warm and moist” since the elements conprising it have boiled from a liquid state on our planet - there are planets where they would exist as liquids though. Here’s a quote that’s relevant:

“When there is a change of state (i.e. from liquid to solid), something called ‘latent heat’ rears its head - also known as the ‘hidden heat’.”
Source

I hope that’s not muddying the issue too much!

If you’re looking for a magickal correspondence to facilitate freezing, the rune ISA might be helpful, there’s plenty of info online about it.

1 Like

Fire

Things freeze because there are not enough sunlight. Fire, in it’s absence, things got crazy cold.

Water,

because one of it’s states is ice.

1 Like

[quote=“EpicGnome, post:3, topic:2257”]Fire

Things freeze because there are not enough sunlight. Fire, in it’s absence,[/quote]
Good point

[quote=“EpicGnome, post:3, topic:2257”]Fire

Things freeze because there are not enough sunlight. Fire, in it’s absence, things got crazy cold.[/quote]

Makes sense!! Not just sunlight, molecular activity (“brownian motion”) that exists within gases & liquids… and fire is the “active” element.

1 Like

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:2, topic:2257”]Scientifically speaking, freezing is an action upon an element, not a quality of the element itself - for example, air (and the component gases of our atmosphere) can be frozen into a liquid form, and can even be rendered solid (earth-like) if they’re reduced to a low enough temperature - apparently solid oxygen is pale blue in colour, for example.

So all elements can exist as a solid (apart from helium), a liquid, or a gas. Air is definitely “warm and moist” since the elements conprising it have boiled from a liquid state on our planet - there are planets where they would exist as liquids though. Here’s a quote that’s relevant:

“When there is a change of state (i.e. from liquid to solid), something called ‘latent heat’ rears its head - also known as the ‘hidden heat’.”
Source

I hope that’s not muddying the issue too much!

If you’re looking for a magickal correspondence to facilitate freezing, the rune ISA might be helpful, there’s plenty of info online about it.[/quote]

Science does not deal with the traditional elements. The ‘elements’ of the Periodic Table have nothing in the slightest to do with these.

1 Like

True science does not deal with the Classical elements, yet it did originally.

Lady Eva was describing freezing as a change in State (and not talking about elements from the periodic table) which some equate to the classical elements namely: Solid (Earth), Liquid (Water), Gas (Air), Plasma (Fire).

It was last century that I studied Chemistry and Physics in Isaac Newton’s Cambridge.

Classical Element used for Cooling was Water, but you could also use Fire if you are crafty enough.

The Isa Rune is really effective in cooling things- I used it last year to prevent a fire in our local woodlands upon the request of some friends who were sending wishes out on sky lanterns.

1 Like

[quote=“Student of Goetia, post:1, topic:2257”]Which element is dominant in the act of freezing?
Air seems most logical, but according to the medieval tradition, it is warm and moist.[/quote]

According to some schools of thought, it goes like this -
Fire - Heat, Dryness
Earth - Cold, Dryness
Air - Heat, Moisture
Water - Cold, Moisture

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Fuego

1 Like