Found a dead bird in my yard

I went to collect some stones I have in my backyard to use in jars for basic home warding. When I got there, I noticed a big storage tub my kids filled halfway with rocks last summer was still there. When I looked more closely, I saw a dead bird upon the white rocks. It looks like all bones and feathers. I feel like it’s for me, but I’m not sure how to handle something not freshly dead. Advice on how to proceed with removing feathers when delicate bones are already exposed?

Thanks for your time.

3 Likes

Ah, what a nice find! I’ve been getting into preserving bones and specimens lately, so perhaps I have some advice to give.

Luckily it looks like nature has done the nastiest part of the job for you and cleared all of the soft tissue away. Alas, this probably means the keratin sheath of the beak is likely also eaten away, but the bone base of it should still be intact on the skull. The bones also appear quite white, so I don’t think you have to deal with the degreasing and whitening processes.

What I would say is get a pair of powderless nitrile gloves (you can find them in the painting section of your local Walmart or hardware store) and gather the remains onto a clean smooth surface that you do not prepare food on. Take a pair of surgical forceps or tweezers and very carefully separate the bones from the remaining feathers. Be careful in this step, as bird bones are exceptionally fragile. If you think you have roughly the whole skeleton, you can attempt the delightful puzzle of creating an articulated skeleton for display. If not, merely keep what bones intrigue you for display (or other) purposes. Again, they’re rather fragile, so take care in handling. If you want to protect the surface a little more, you can coat the surface either in clear nail polish or a 1:1 mixture of elmer’s glue and water.

Sorry it’s a bit late, but I hope it helps!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Nature seemed to being doing such a good job, I had left it untouched hoping it’ll be “cleaner” by spring.

I really appreciate your insight. I don’t mind waiting to learn something new. Thanks for replying.

1 Like

Absolutely! I look forward to what you eventually manage to salvage from it!

1 Like

I had birds hitting my window and dying when I very first started working with Lilith, was this below a window by chance?

2 Likes

No. Corner of back yard near a windowless shed, landscape rocks from the previous owner, overgrown rose bushes, and an ornamental plum tree.

I have been thinking about Lillith the last few days coincidentally. I’m curious as to who she truly is in comparison to the propaganda put out about her.

1 Like

Just a warning, I’ve dated a professional taxidermist and she always warned, depending on where you live many birds are illegal to have taxidermied or to have bones from even if you find it dead. For your own purposes, not really an issue, but it can be if you ever try to sell them or if you try to bring it to a taxidermist. I wasnt aware of this myself. I found a dead blue Jay in my yard and thought she would be happy but sadly she told me she didnt really work with those birds because she could never show or sell the pieces.

3 Likes

I appreciate your warning. I don’t want to accidentally put myself on the wrong side of the law.

1 Like

Like in Hereditary! :smile:

1 Like

Oh really?! Lol “coincidences” ehh

1 Like