First Use of Black Mirror. Wow

I consecrated and charged my black mirror this evening. Finally got a full moon with good weather. I’ve been attempting to evoke Mepsitahl for a couple of nights now. Tonight I used my newly charged and consecrated mirror. I’m a little blown away. Here’s what I wrote in my journal immediately afterwards. This was after opening her sigil and watching it flash for several minutes, and telling her what I wanted:

"As soon as I started gazing at the mirror, wow! She didn’t appear, but immediately I saw energy rippling across the face of the mirror. I watched in fascination, and felt a thrill. I remember thinking, “That’s energy. I’m seeing energy”. It then changed into a pattern of gold and pastel purple, and maybe some other colors, pin points of light. Almost immediately, a purplish-goldish orb sparked out of the center, giving me a bigger thrill, and bouying me up with confidence. I saw a few orbs, mists galore rolling across the surface, pulsing, but dim, glowey patches. I saw what looked like tendrils of smoke, and this made me look over at the stick of Nag Champa burning to the left of the mirror. The smoke was going straight up, and what I was seeing was coming from the right. I don’t think it was from the tea light behind the mirror.

A couple of times I could tell I was very deep inside my own head. Cool, but not long lasting. After a while, my vision started greying out. This also happens when I gaze at sigils for more than a few minutes. I can still see outlines of things, but everything gets kinda monochrome. After that started happening, I didn’t see much. There was a brief period of red mist, and a few mists here and there rolling across the surface, and some glowing patches. The mirror also basically turned grey as well.

When the “grey out” started, I stuck with it for ~5 or 6 more minutes, but I feel like a lot of stray thoughts were starting to run around inside my skull. All in all, a very cool experience. Evocation was a fail, but I still got something that was worth the price of admission. This makes me eager to use my mirror again. I realize the results of tonight won’t necessarily be repeated next time, or the next, but tonight shows it worked for me once, it can and will work again."

Something to note, especially if you handmade your mirror like I did because handmade tools have more of your energy in them, you might want to get a large black cloth either silk or velvet but whatever you can find will do. Wrap your mirror in this cloth when not using it. Do not simply place it inside of a box, chest, dressor drawer etc. Some say this helps to keep the energy inside of the mirror from leaking out, and obviously you want the power and energy inside of the mirror from your evocations to hold so the mirror will be ripe with power, getting stronger each time you use it. Also, because if the energy gets out it’s not going to spread around the earth wreaking havoc or anything, that energy will stay close to you because it’s a mix of your energy and the energy of the demon or entity you are working with.

However, the energy that does seem to float around your home from the mirror, other people who are not magicians may sense it. It can make people feel uncomfortable, nervous, over emotional, or even scared. You might not want your non-magician house guests to feel so uncomfortable that they never wish to return so try wrapping the mirror in a cloth even if you have to go to a craft store and buy a large piece of fabric or order a plain altar cloth online for this purpose. Im my experience, christians who don’t believe in this stuff (the ones that think god is real but magick and entities are not real) never sense anything but the secular christians I know who believe in demons and my non-religious friends who are very open minded and sensitive, can feel my mirror if I leave it unwrapped by accident. Most seem to feel frightened, like being watched and a tense nervous energy in the room making it hard for some to breathe.

Oddly enough, those who are highly sensitive can still sense the energy of the mirror while wrapped in cloth and seem to be lead to its location. I don’t mean your house guest will start walking around trying to pinpoint the source, but if you are standing around talking in the same room where the mirror is located, if the mirror is in a closet, you may notice certain guests constantly looking in the direction of the closet.

What did you use to paint it? I just got a nice piece of glass from the local window company and i am looking for the right type of paint. I used latex on my test glass, but latex peels right off glass. Also, what shine did you use?

@RavensAscent: It is wrapped, temporarily, in a black dress shirt. I am indeed going to get some black fabric from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I need some for an altar cloth, as well.

@Thermopylae: I used Krylon colormaster. It’s paint and primer in one, and is suitable for glass. Make sure you clean the surface well with window cleaner to avoid any adhesion problems. It definitely took more coats then I thought it would to make it light proof. I ended up using ~2/3 of the can. I used flat black as that’s what was recommended on most of the sites I used for research. I also mixed a couple of drops of my blood with some colloidal silver to paint my symbols with. I then sealed them in with a couple more coats. This stuff stinks, so definitely spray outside or in a garage, and leave it there til it’s dry.

I use Liquitex brand acrylic paint. It comes in a large tube for around $8.95+. I usually have to apply about 7-9 coats, but it works wells for not allowing light thru it. However, I get too excited to let the coats dry in between so I just keep slathering on layers which will take about 7-9 coats. But if you let each coat dry for about 45 mins. it should only take about 3-4 coats. I have made several black mirrors. Some for friends, and I had to redo mine once because a christian relative freaked out when she found it and she smashed it to pieces.

1 Like

I actually took two tries to make a black mirror successfully.
I learned a few things from my first attempt.
#1. Use a picture frame that opens and closes from the back, with a sturdy frame. My first attempt was with a plastic frame that had a cardboard backing, which the glass popped in and out of. My second one, a wooden frame, with a backing that came out.
#2. The Cheap, generic spray paint at Walmart works just fine; but I advise using one can of gloss black and one can of flat black. The first time I used two cans of gloss black and it stuck to the cardboard backing (yes, after having dried) and was pulled right off. Flat black in the other hand won’t stick to card board after having dried. On the second one I began using gloss black to provide a sticky surface on the glass, then alternated between the two, being sure that the last layers were done with flat black.
#3. Make sure that the glass does not have room to move around inside of the frame (I did this by gluing small strips of cardboard on the sides). This step might or might not be necessary, but if you can reduce the risk of scratches, and make the irritating rattling cease during movement, then why not do so?

[quote=“chef1964, post:1, topic:5411”]I consecrated and charged my black mirror this evening. Finally got a full moon with good weather. I’ve been attempting to evoke Mepsitahl for a couple of nights now. Tonight I used my newly charged and consecrated mirror. I’m a little blown away. Here’s what I wrote in my journal immediately afterwards. This was after opening her sigil and watching it flash for several minutes, and telling her what I wanted:

"As soon as I started gazing at the mirror, wow! She didn’t appear, but immediately I saw energy rippling across the face of the mirror. I watched in fascination, and felt a thrill. I remember thinking, “That’s energy. I’m seeing energy”. It then changed into a pattern of gold and pastel purple, and maybe some other colors, pin points of light. Almost immediately, a purplish-goldish orb sparked out of the center, giving me a bigger thrill, and bouying me up with confidence. I saw a few orbs, mists galore rolling across the surface, pulsing, but dim, glowey patches. I saw what looked like tendrils of smoke, and this made me look over at the stick of Nag Champa burning to the left of the mirror. The smoke was going straight up, and what I was seeing was coming from the right. I don’t think it was from the tea light behind the mirror.

A couple of times I could tell I was very deep inside my own head. Cool, but not long lasting. After a while, my vision started greying out. This also happens when I gaze at sigils for more than a few minutes. I can still see outlines of things, but everything gets kinda monochrome. After that started happening, I didn’t see much. There was a brief period of red mist, and a few mists here and there rolling across the surface, and some glowing patches. The mirror also basically turned grey as well.

When the “grey out” started, I stuck with it for ~5 or 6 more minutes, but I feel like a lot of stray thoughts were starting to run around inside my skull. All in all, a very cool experience. Evocation was a fail, but I still got something that was worth the price of admission. This makes me eager to use my mirror again. I realize the results of tonight won’t necessarily be repeated next time, or the next, but tonight shows it worked for me once, it can and will work again."[/quote]

Reading that you had such success with your mirror makes me want even more to make mine. I bought a nice frame last week, (though it won’t look the same when I’ve painted and decorated it.) Painting the glass is the part I need to think over. I am in an apartment with no yard space and certainly can’t work with spray paint around here. I might grab some paint this weekend and head over to a friend’s place to paint glass over there. She’d lend me her yard and probably wouldn’t be outright offended by the project.

Thanks fr the hints about the flat black paint on the back layer and the fact that it may take a good bit of layering. I had assumed getting one can of black apint would do th trick. Perhaps I should pick up two to be safe.

Spray paint isn’t the only way to go. As RavensAscent said, you can use brush on acrylic. I used spray paint partially because my mirror is fairly large, and partially because I have a garage I can spray in. With brush on acrylic you won’t need to worry about fumes. You can do it in the privacy of your bedroom, and even do some things to set a more “magickal” mood while doing it. Incense, music, candle light, etc.

Here’s an update. Last night I used my mirror again in an attempt to evoke Mepsitahl. Evocation was unsuccessful, but I did see orbs, mists, etc., again. Oddly, this only lasted for a few (maybe 5-10) minutes, then lessened. I’m thinking this is more of a mental thing, as it got harder to keep my mind focused at or about the time activity began to lesson. Going forward, I think shorter sessions would be beneficial, until I can go longer periods with a calm, focused mind. FWIW, I’m wondering if the full Moon the first night may have lead to the spectacular (to me, anyway) results I had. I’m not a confirmed believer in Moon phases being significant, but who knows…

Chef,
As others have said, sometimes you have to do several evocations to successfully see the entity. Many of us start out only feeling the presence, smelling things, seeing light orbs etc. So keep working at it. As long as your focus is good, with each attempt you should come closer to seeing the entity.

And yes, the picture frame method is what I use. Much safer than handling a piece of cut window glass then trying to find a way to secure the glass so its safe to touch. You can get a metal based frame with a metal or very durable plastic stand for around $8 that will work fine. Don’t use the frames with plastic sides and cardboard stands, they break too easily.