Fighting Rumination

I’ve known the word for a while, but only recently learned that “Rumination” is the mainstream psychological term for sitting around punching yourself in the brain.

Someone put this video on after I had been sitting around thinking, “How the fuck is there not a word for that? Why don’t people talk about this? We need a buzz-word.”

I think occultists need to take it more seriously than most. Punching yourself in the brain is bad, but if you do lots of Kung-Fu, punching yourself in the brain can be really really bad.

I would give my left nut for the ability to stop someone else from ruminating. I’m a decent empath, but breaking into someone else’s torture chamber is fucking hard. Advice?

1 Like

Inner fasting. Stop feeding shit to your mind.

3 Likes

I learned it from a youtuber Orthodox priest. In his own demon hating language, he explained it has “demons don’t eat, but they are full of evil”

I have dealt with rummination for years, one of the things that helped me was putting a small piece of black turmaline in my head (my instinct suggested me to) and it worked wonders. It soaked all the bad thoughts, you must clean your stone regularly though. Also breath slowly I have found out that whenever I was over thinking I was holding my breath. Good luck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Journaling helps a lot as well

I think I call this wallowing. As in, “wallowing in my own misery/self-pity”.

Rumination, incidentally, comes from cows, which are “ruminants” because they chew the cud. I think the image is a bit closer to musing and less judgemental than wallowing.

I like a good, self-indulgent wallow myself. :slight_smile: I’ll go ham and get it all over with. It doesn’t take me long to get tired of it and then do something about it.

Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.
So, follow me, follow,
Down to the hollow,
And there we can wallow
In glorious mud!

:smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for putting this, It does feel like hell. I’ve have days where it’s left me drained mentally. Hopefully this’ll encourage me to manage and mend this issue but it won’t be a quick and easy.

1 Like

Ooh I like that.
“Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood.”

As crazy as Humor theory got, there was a certian understanding involved. I think that this poem has a suggestion to offer.

The melancholic, rumimative subject may find relief in sanguine activities.

It’s fine advice, and certianly better than no plan at all.

2 Likes

You had me at ‘sanguine activities’ lol

I have tried using magic on rumination, low and high, and it’s not super effective. I think it needs deeper work with the subconscious, and in this case techniques for helping CPTSD (complex post traumatic stress disorder) such as NLP start coming to the fore.

Ah, so to get back to the price of fish…

I would give my left nut for the ability to stop someone else from ruminating. I’m a decent empath, but breaking into someone else’s torture chamber is fucking hard. Advice?

Depending on how open they are to working with you, shamanic soul healing techniques, and/or dream walking to talk directly to the subconscious/unconscious parts of the psyche and address the obsessive part, maybe by replacing it with something else could be a way forward.

It’s a very interesting question but I think would require some level of work over time rather than have a magic bullet answer.

In the meantime, here some info on mitigating ptsd, in this case the context is veterans but it works for me:

1 Like

My own experience has taught me that thinking about things, sometime connecting to your intuition is a good thing, since it gives you clarity and openness that you wouldn’t otherwise experience. I tend to focus on my feelings, my goals, my desires, and creating the greatest intentions for myself and others. So thinking outside the box as it were is very useful once in a while, and reflecting on the consequences and also trying to see things from a different perspective.

If we start to kick ourselves in the butt for saying or doing something we think we should or could have avoided, this can be useful to be better the next time, but it can also lead to an endless cycle of rumination. Bad idea.

If you do get into the cycle of rumination - which I have had and am working on avoiding right now, I learned how to stop. Here is what I learned:

A habit of rumination can be dangerous to your mental health, as it can prolong or intensify depression as well as impair your ability to think and process emotions. It may also cause you to feel isolated and can push people away.

What causes ruminating?
People ruminate for a variety of reasons. According to the American Psychological Association, some common reasons for rumination include:

belief that by ruminating, you’ll gain insight into your life or a problem
having a history of emotional or physical trauma
facing ongoing stressors that can’t be controlled
Ruminating is also common in people who possess certain personality characteristics, which include perfectionism, neuroticism, and an excessive focus on one’s relationships with others.

You might have a tendency to overvalue your relationships with others so much that you’ll make large personal sacrifices to maintain your relationships, even if they’re not working for you.

Tips for addressing ruminating thoughts
Once you get stuck in a ruminating thought cycle, it can be hard to get out of it. If you do enter a cycle of such thoughts, it’s important to stop them as quickly as possible to prevent them from becoming more intense.

As when a ball is rolling downhill, it’s easier to stop the ruminating thoughts when they first start rolling and have less speed than when they’ve gathered speed over time.

So, what can you do to stop these obsessive thoughts from running through your mind?

1. Distract yourself
    When you realize you’re starting to ruminate, finding a distraction can break your thought cycle. Look around you, quickly choose something else to do, and don’t give it a second thought. Consider:

calling a friend or family member
doing chores around your house
watching a movie
drawing a picture
reading a book
walking around your neighborhood

1. Plan to take action
    Instead of repeating the same negative thought over and over again, take that thought and make a plan to take action to address it.

In your head, outline each step you need to take to address the problem, or write it down on a piece of paper. Be as specific as possible and also realistic with your expectations.

Doing this will disrupt your rumination. It will also help you move forward in the attempt to get a negative thought out of your head once and for all.

1. Take action
    Once you’ve outlined a plan of action to address your ruminating thoughts, take one small step to address the issue. Refer to the plan you made to solve the problem you’ve been obsessing over.

Move forward with each step slowly and incrementally until your mind is put at ease.

1. Question your thoughts
    We often ruminate when we think we’ve made a major mistake or when something traumatic has happened to us that we feel responsible for.

If you start ruminating on a troubling thought, try putting your repetitive thought in perspective. Another way of doin this is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy that works great.

Thinking more about how your troubling thought might not be accurate may help you stop ruminating because you realize the thought makes little sense.

1. Readjust your life’s goals
    Perfectionism and unrealistic goal setting can lead to rumination. If you set goals that are unrealistic, you may start to focus on why and how you haven’t reached a goal, or what you should have done to reach it.

Setting more realistic goals that you’re capable of achieving can reduce the risks of overthinking your own actions.

1. Work on enhancing your self-esteem
    Many people who ruminate report difficulties with self-esteem. In fact, lack of self-esteem can be associated with increased rumination. It’s also been linked with increased risk of depression.

Enhancement of self-esteem can be accomplished in many ways. For instance, building on existing strengths can add to a sense of mastery, which can enhance self-esteem.

Some people may choose to work on the enhancement of self-esteem in psychotherapy. As you enhance your self-esteem, self-efficacy may also be enhanced. You may find that you’re better able to control rumination.

1. Meditation
    Meditating can reduce rumination because it involves clearing your mind to arrive at an emotionally calm state.

When you find yourself with a repeating loop of thoughts in your mind, seek out a quiet space. Sit down, breathe deeply, and focus on nothing but breathing.

1. Understand your triggers
    Each time you find yourself ruminating, make a mental note of the situation you’re in. This includes where you are, what time of day it is, who’s around you (if anyone), and what you’ve been doing that day.

Developing ways to avoid or manage these triggers can reduce your rumination.

1. Talk to a friend
    Ruminating thoughts can make you feel isolated. Talking about your thoughts with a friend who can offer an outside perspective may help break the cycle.

Be sure to speak with a friend who can give you that perspective rather than ruminate with you.

1. Try therapy
    If your ruminating thoughts are taking over your life, you may want to consider therapy. A therapist can help you identify why you’re ruminating and how to address the problems at their core.

With awareness and some lifestyle changes, it’s possible to free yourself from ruminating thoughts. If you find that you’re unable to use these tips to help your rumination, you should consider contacting a mental health professional for assistance.

1 Like