Fiction stories?

I’ve been tossing up the idea of writing a fictional novel which involves entertainment but actual practical knowledge of the occult as we see it, in particular the Goetia. I think such a thing could serve as entertainment but also as a manual for getting started into the occult.

Is there anything like this out there already though?

(P.s. I’m a shitty writer, lol)

4 Likes

Hm not that I’ve seen. This post has me wondering if I should make my own post, cause I’m a writer! And I love having friends who write! I put most of my stuff online, FictionPress and FanFiction. You or anyone else can message me if you want to know anything about writing or my profiles. I’ve wrote some occult-themed stories that mention realistic occult practices but the emphasis has always been on the fiction storyline and a lot of stuff I made up to suit the narrative too.

1 Like

Alright, I’m a far cry from a writer, I’ve done a few things that were pretty bad that I am definitely ashamed of lol. I did a very short story I just put up on Amazon that I think is a bit better, but gotta love a challenge.

Eh well, I just think all of the books on occult often read too much like a textbook or just too wordy. I thought a story wrapped around some practices would be a better method of learning it. For novices and more experienced.

1 Like

It definitely takes practice. FictionPress is free and a lot of stories there are jumbled messes written by pre-teens, but some stuff is very good too. And you can get feedback on review games and forums and stuff.

1 Like

Hmm, they don’t get too technical in terms of the specifics of the occult, but the graphic novels Grant Morrison’s The Invisibles as well as John Constantine, Hellblazer comes pretty close to what you’re talking about. I’ve also heard good things about Alan Moore’s Promethea but it’s still on my to-read list.

2 Likes

Oh totally! Most of what I understand about magic and spirituality comes from fiction. Authors always jazz it up and put in a philosophical angle, but you’re talking about a classic idea.
Also, you seem like a fine writer to me. Anyone who can write a good paragraph and has a clever idea can write well. You might not become some famous rich guy, but you could easily write a novel that impresses and inspires a few other nerds.

I’ve started a few projects. Its easy to lose momentum on a 500 page novel, but your astral connection to your characters can be worth it even if the work is never finished.

I have a couple vampires named Chris and Vincent who hang out in weird places having philosophical dialogues and talking about music. The book is always better than the movie, and a book about Chris and Vincent could never do justice to the “real” version.

You should totally write that story. Watch as your demons use tropes from your own work. Poetry magic is real.

1 Like

I did this with a screenplay, they didn’t want to make a movie out of it so… It is what it is.

1 Like

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Despite there being hundreds of writings out there dedicated to figuring out this work, I have yet to see anyone mention the fact that it is, quite obviously, a book that has been deeply influenced by occultism and is all about the occult. It’s clear from start to finish. A major character is even called “The Black Sun”! And for good reason.

No one in the book is sitting around doing evocations as we would understand them. Maybe, perhaps, it is one long evocation. The magick that occurs is subtle, hidden from view, disguised, yet it pervades the entire work and becomes more obvious as you continue reading through the entire two volumes. For fear of revealing too much, it represents a view of reality and the way it works that is consistent with our own, but hides it under high strangeness and extreme technology, but that technology is infused with occultism and the power of belief/thoughts/feelings to warp reality in ways far more bizarre than any of the technology described in the book. At best, the technology presented in the book is in fact technology that has been designed around the subjective/malleable nature of reality.

1 Like