Favorite Occult Fiction?

Hey guys, I’m kinda in the mood to watch/read some occult based fiction. Harrry potter excluded, what do you guys recommend?

I’m considering rereading the Bartimaeus Trilogy since it centers around a jinn named Bartimaeus and his experiences serving a young sorcerer.

3 Likes

Good Omens is a pretty fun one with some occult references. It’s about an angel and a demon (named Crowley) who want to stop the antichrist from blowing up the world while they just vibe for the entire series (it was originally a book, recently made into a show).

2 Likes

I loved that show, I just finished it :+1:

2 Likes

Hellblazer, The Sandman, Hellboy, The invisibles, Kill Six Billion Demons ( this is a free webcomic, just look for it in google), lucifer(the comic and tv show), the preacher (comic and tv show)

3 Likes

Seconding Hellblazer. Dresden Files was decent, even if certain characters were a bit aggravating to me. The Lucifer comic is in my opinion also vastly superior to the already pretty decent tv-show

4 Likes

Sinister Tales, Moonchild, The Haunter in The Dark,…

2 Likes

Yeah, Hellblazer is cool. I have always got inspiration from it, and sometimes I feel like I kinda try to emulate John Constantine (I know bad idea) and ask myself what would he do if he was in my situation

2 Likes

Oh Alan Moore has lots of good occult fiction comics

2 Likes

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Great book that has been made into a pretty good TV series. It definitely puts so,e interesting thoughts on how we view gods, at least in my opinion.

3 Likes

You are right. I forgot about that book

2 Likes

The Magician (tv show)

2 Likes

Chilling adventures of Sabrina (I love it) , The magicians, Good Omen.

2 Likes

Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The novel/book and the movie by Francis Ford Coppola.

The novel is much darker than the movie, and this character was always a magician or occultist to me, at least in this story.

2 Likes

I read it back when I was a teen, I know its cliche to say but the book really was better than all the movies.

1 Like

Zanoni comes to mind, for something heavily occult.

1 Like

What is that @Arcane?

The Laundry Files by Charles Stross are some good tongue-in-cheek occult-meets-spy-thriller fun with Lovecraftian overtones.

I really liked Joanne Harris’s The Girl With No Shadow and Zozie de L’Alba is one of my favorite literary characters-she actually makes references to chaos magic in the book.

Another more obscure writer is Gemma Files- her book We Will All Go Down Together and the Hexslinger trilogy draw from a variety of different myths and occult traditions and she has a really poetic writing style.

1 Like

Yes I totally agree. The book is way much better. Best in the movie is acting ( Gary Oldman ) and Coppola’s atmosphere. The story was a bit thin to be honest, for obvious reasons. Hollywood :slight_smile:

1 Like

Secret of the Sixth Magic is a great story about “magic theory”. Main character goes around learning about magic so the audience goes along for the ride, blah blah blah. The final duel is one of the greatest things I’ve ever read.

Fun novel, clever ideas about magic

2 Likes