Failed a test

I studied, prayed, meditated and failed by two questions. I can take this test again, so I need to figure out where I went wrong so this doesn’t happen again.

What can I do other than the above?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Try to feel or divine if whatever path your on is meant for you? And try removing personal blocks with introspection and healing

2 Likes

I started the day off feeling extremely confident. Drank some chamomile tea and meditated. Then when I went to begin, I had computer issues that started anxiety and I kept thinking “just reschedule”. I don’t want to be too hard on myself. I really feel this path is for me.

I will work on introspection and healing, thank you!

1 Like

I’m assuming you mean like an exam and not some “spiritual test,” right?

Have you tried studying better?

1 Like

Yeah an exam not spiritual. I think that’s something I’ll have to figure out how to do (study better) as well. I already study a lot and I do want to be sure I’m doing it well.

1 Like

Simply work hard and improve yourself , the occult doesn’t fix everything

Here is a link to some infographic materials that can help you. We’ve made a ton of advancements in the science of learning in recent years. It is very much so more about the quality of study time, not the quantity.

There is a huge, huge difference between, for example, just reading your notes over and over again and testing yourself and trying to recall the information from memory.

Think of it like this. On the actual exam, will you have the opportunity to look over your notes? Usually, you will not. You have to retrieve the information from your memory. So it makes sense, then, even without going into the science too much, that you should practice for the exam by doing the same thing that you’ll have to do on the exam - remember the material by memory.

Testing yourself will be more difficult than just re-reading, and this is what you want. Scientists call it “desirable difficulty.” When it’s hard, but you’re still making some progress with each study session, that means you’re learning. It will be challenging while you’re doing the studying, but it will all be worth it come exam time. There will be much less sitting there stressing about the answer, because you’ve done this many times already.

The same thing applies for something more “procedural,” like math or programming. Instead of remembering information, you practice a process for how to do something. It’s just like learning to ride a bike. Put in the time to practice and you will bet better.

Out of the six techniques I linked to, retrieval practice is by far the most important. You can make flashcards, do practice questions, or if you take rather diligent notes, look at the header for each section and try to remember everything about that section you can, then read over the material (you can also just do this with the book, because I am expecting that you did the reading, because if not you deserve to fail). Next important is spaced practice. You will do better on the exam if you study for one hour two nights in a row than three hours the day before. Next most important is elaboration. Do your best to explain the material to a stuffed animal or something. The other three are good to use too, but work on making the first three part of your routine first.

Some tips for the taking the exam. I bring a pair of ear-plugs, like the bright orange kind used by construction workers sometimes (just show the teacher beforehand so they don’t think you’re wearing earbuds). This removes all the sounds of people sneezing and coughing and sniffling the entire goddamn time (bring tissues, don’t be an asshole). While taking the exam, take slow, deep breathes, the entire time. You will probably sound loud as fuck, especially to yourself if you’re wearing the ear-plugs. Who cares. The people around you will be grateful that you’re calming them down too. If not they can fuck off because you need to succeed. If you get stuck, mark the question and move on. Don’t worry about it, just do it. When you reach the end, go over the ones you skipped. Guess if you have to, now. If you have time, do not turn it in early. Go over each question, taking your time, just like it’s your first go through. I always, always catch something, and more than once this has made the difference between the B and the A.

On a more magickal note (because I have used magick to do well on exams, Sigils of Power and Transformation by Adam Blackthorne), the feeling that you are looking for is ease. When you do your ritual, first bring to mind all the fear and anxiety and whatnot that you feel about the exam. Think about how terrible it would feel to fail again. Sit with this for a moment, then imagine how good it would feel to breeze through the exam, no trouble at all. Imagine how it would feel to look at each question and easily answer all of them with no difficulty at all. This is how exams usually feel to me, because I use the techniques I link to above, and I put in as much time as is required to study. Don’t bother with visualizing getting an A or whatever. Just focus on that feeling of very casually strolling through the exam, and enjoying getting to show off your knowledge.

Best of luck, you got this :books: :books:

1 Like

Good info I like the part about telling a stuffed animal about the info, I read that when you share Information with someone else it get stored different because if you shared it must be important. Also if you find a new him and chew that while studying then chew it at the test it will make recalling the information easier.

2 Likes

Not to get too technical, but if we’re going to discuss this, the reason remembering something is easier after you tell it to someone is that you both retrieve the original memory, which will make it stronger, and associate it with another set of memory objects, which include sensory details, thoughts, and emotions (and anything else you may experience), which are all associated with each other. This way, even if you cannot recall the material just by itself, you may be able to “get the rest of the way there” by retrieving something from the other memory, such as the individual sensory details of the location you were in, which then “bring up” the subject of your conversation because this semantic detail is associated with these sensory memories, so these sensory memories act as a retrieval cue for the thing you want to remember and put on the exam. This is why, if you chew gum while you study and then chew gum during the exam, it could technically help, but often I think when people try to rely on little tricks like that they are just trying to get out of doing the actual studying. You can chew all the gum you want, if you don’t study you’re not gonna learn.

Oh yeah, I went there.

2 Likes

I was never much for studying but got good grades my mom actually told me the gum trick but she’s a great student. You got some pretty good knowledge there about learning.

2 Likes

Thank you SO MUCH for all of this. I’ll look that link over and apply what you’ve shared. Blessings :hugs:

1 Like

Love this

1 Like