Exorcism in Consecration Rituals

The following exorcism is noted in Works of Darkness:

Exorcizo te, omnis spiritus immunde, in nomine Baphomet, et in virtute veneficium, ut descedas ab hoc humus, quod ego noster ad templum sanctum suum vocare dignatus est, ut fiat templum Dei vivi, et veneficium habitet in eo. Exorcizo te!

I am just beginning my studies in Latin and I am unclear on a few words. Any time I use other languages in ritual, I like to understand every single word if necessary.

My translation is as follows:

I exorcise thee, every unclean spirit, in the name of Baphomet, and in the name of Magic, that thou depart from these grounds, which our Self hath deigned to call unto this holy temple, that it be made the temple of the living God and that Magic may dwell therein. I exorcise thee!

descedas I find in the Catholic exorcism, but in my Latin books it is discedas for depart. What is the grammatical significance here?

Also, I translated ego noster as our Self, meaning that you are recognizing the Absolute as your Self. I am not sure if this was the intended meaning or not.

Lastly, Dei vivi would be translated as the living God. In this context, I am assuming “living God” would be referring to your own Self in this version of the exorcism.

Can anyone who has a good understanding of Latin elaborate more on this?

Thank you.

1 Like