Evocation Magic has Closed

Just learned that Evocation Magic has folded. “This due to a small number of you making personal threats after I made it clear that I was handing this board over. As usual the minority spoil it for the majority. Over and out — Vovin.”

That is TOTALLY fucked up.

What the hell were people thinking that, if they cared enough to want the forum to continue UNDER him, they’d make threats to him (or anyone) because it no longer will? I just don’t get it.

People need to truly grasp that a forum’s not actually a “place” to be territorial about, not a little fortified village to sling shit at other people and get into battles for or against, it’s a message board and the more of them available, the more messages aka information, alliances, and even friendships get shared.

Thanks for the update anyway Custer, bloody hell…

it’s a big pity to magical community, as we all know, maybe they will change the decision.

Damn, didn’t he say we’d have until September to save the materials we needed? I was using it a lot this past weekend, wish I had the foresight to start archiving. This sucks, I’m sorry to hear it :confused:

Damn, and I really enjoyed talking with some other members there . . . This really is not fair to the rest of us who benefited from EM :frowning:

Don’t worry if we’re really LUCKY a lot of them will come here and make condescending asshole comments…it’ll be just like old times. Except they’ll be making them to our face instead of behind our backs of course.

Seriously though they had some good posters there that provided a lot of good information.!'ll miss that about them, but don’t be surprised to see another occult board pop up soon as Philodox was already shopping around for better forum software.

[quote="-TWF-, post:6, topic:3697"]Don’t worry if we’re really LUCKY a lot of them will come here and make condescending asshole comments…it’ll be just like old times. Except they’ll be making them to our face instead of behind our backs of course.

Seriously though they had some good posters there that provided a lot of good information.!'ll miss that about them, but don’t be surprised to see another occult board pop up soon as Philodox was already shopping around for better forum software.[/quote]

I was kind of hoping some would migrate, with the caveat that they see we’re on their side/sad about the whole thing, so they’ll feel bad about being assholes and start being more civil.

Hah, who am I kidding? No one is ever wrong on the internet.

This is incredibly sad news. I started lurking there after hearing of Vovin’s decision to shut it down in September. While I haven’t had much in the way of communication with the members there I came to respect the serious practitioners there and the heroic effort on the part of members like Prov. TGK, and Philodox to keep the quality if discussion high. I hope we do see some like Prov, Wanderer, Brother Butterball, Philodox and others who’s names I can’t spell migrate here as I know we could learn a lot from them.

If anything we can learn a lesson from EM. While I think we have come a long way after what I call the “Elison Incident” we would all do well to remember to reign in our emotions while on the internet.

After all, sometimes my invisible friends aren’t always better than yours.

To be honest I have mixed feelings on that - having their forum closed 2 months early due to personal threats kind of undermines their much-vaunted claims to communal enlightenment, maturity, obsession with The Great Work, and so on.

Also, there was a consensus there that was very negative towards BALG (by which I mean this forum as well as Eric’s work etc.), so if anyone does join I hope it’s coming from a good place of wanting to be part of another community, and not out of some misguided desire to set us all straight.

To be honest I have mixed feelings on that - having their forum closed 2 months early due to personal threats kind of undermines their much-vaunted claims to communal enlightenment, maturity, obsession with The Great Work, and so on.

Also, there was a consensus there that was very negative towards BALG (by which I mean this forum as well as Eric’s work etc.), so if anyone does join I hope it’s coming from a good place of wanting to be part of another community, and not out of some misguided desire to set us all straight.[/quote]

Out of the names listed absolutely include Pablo, Raum, and about a handful more. I do feel like Eva brought up a good point. I don’t need to be “schooled”, if you want to have a conversation about different methods or theories sure, but don’t act like you’re doing me a favor or that I’d blow myself up due to being a complete moron because we have differing tastes on authors and ideologies. That shows a lack of both enlightenment and practice as most paths lead to the same conclusions.

There were far more “Internet Magicians” there than magicians…no offense to the guys actually doing work there.

Being a long-term member of EM I have seen the ebb and flow of
some really exceptional magicians. There was always politics
and jealousy lurking behind the scene. One of the most remarkable
magicians I had come to know was Tolka who had profound knowedge
of the Olympic Spirits and was so gifted as an Astrologer that his electional timing for rituals was umimaginable. He left EM several years ago confiding to me that members were sabotaging him.

Also, there was a consensus there that was very negative towards BALG (by which I mean this forum as well as Eric’s work etc.), so if anyone does join I hope it’s coming from a good place of wanting to be part of another community, and not out of some misguided desire to set us all straight.[/quote]

I think EA’s marketing goes way too far sometimes and it probably pissed them off/amused them, like it does for me at times. That’s why the “EA Koetting Memes” page exists, which I have found to be mildly humorous. I know it’s ironic that I am confessing about this on his forum, but I am here because I know that there is some truth to everything he preaches (at least in my experiences) and also because I love the knowledge and experiences that you guys share.

On the other hand, I really despised EM’s attitude (not inclusive to all members) towards newcomers/seekers who posted there, as TWF said, but that is why I simply lurked around there and corresponded with the more mature and humbler members via PM. It really is a disappointment that it shut down. I hope a replacement board of EM pops up, or that its members join us in the dark side. We have cookies.

True, they had some gems there and… oh what was the term they love so much…asshats? Yeah they had their fair share of asshats as well, but I guess you get that anywhere.

Agreed :slight_smile:

And IMPS!

There are few open magick forums I know of where the level of discussion is more than magic 101. Sad to see it go due to the archives there.

I’m sure someone had a mirror, hopefully they share it.

Bits of it are cached in the Internet Archive, https://web.archive.org/

But that’s patchy, you’ll be reading back through a thread then it’ll suddenly have nothing, or jump to page 8 of that same thread from two years before or after, it’s not a complete record by a long way.

Hey, erm, I figured after reading the close-down thread not everyone’s on Facebook etc., so I lent my unused blog space so people can use the comments to hookup, I might regret this but I’m hoping it will be cool for people, and hoping even more that it’ll help people find each other and do good things with their time, energy, and magick:

[url=http://temporaryark.blogspot.co.uk/]http://temporaryark.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Comments are open to anyone inc. non-Google accounts, I hope it helps. If anyone takes the piss I will be very disappointed. This is me trying to put my philosophy of open support to other magicians into action and I hope people will take it in that spirit - I work on a computer so barring unforseens I’ll moderate and update it several times a day if it becomes active enough.

Hey All,

The shutdown was due to the actions of one very committed troll who hit the place with 5 accounts in 24 hours.The troll was blanketing the place with weird vaguely threatening PM’s that looked like he was attempting to cast some type of spell.

I can’t speak for Vovin, but I think it was just the last straw as far as he was concerned.

V has had a long run with EM starting in 2007. And, after all that, probably just said “f*ck it”.

Philodox, a senior mod, had been working out a deal with Vovin to copy the database and move to a new forum … sort of a relaunch/ EM 2.0.

As far as we know, that deal’s not dead yet. But, OTOH, we can’t confirm it’s not dead either.

There is a quick and dirty Yahoo group that I set up just to be an information point for interested folks.

Not sure of the rules here, so to stay on Bran’s good side …pm me for the link.

If I can answer any questions I will.

And, yeah, all the EM’ers aren’t condescending pricks, just like all the BALG’ers aren’t nutters.

Some of the EM’ers are nutters too, and there has to be a prick or two around here, yeah?

cheers,

prov

[quote=“Provenant, post:17, topic:3697”]There is a quick and dirty Yahoo group that I set up just to be an information point for interested folks.

Not sure of the rules here, so to stay on Bran’s good side …pm me for the link.[/quote]

Cool!

PM me and I’ll blog it as well.

Done. And thank you Lady Eva for pitching in to help the community. That’s way cool.

cheers,

prov

This how a few ruin for the rest of us. What are they afraid of that they got to threaten someone?