Evocation, dark magic and Norse Gods

Greetings :)…

more Newb questions, and or musing.

With all of the talk of Demons, Evocation and the darker magical path…

How do the Norse Gods play into all of this.
I ask this as I am as I have said an Odinist, and am very interested in Azazel and other such entities, to delve deeper into things.

I was just curious how E A and others that have a connection with my faith as well feel how they fit into this equation of practice.

Thank you for your time as always…
Chris

The book : The Left-hand of Odin
May be a good read, i never read it but hear very good comment on it,

Hmm thank you will look into it :slight_smile:

No problems! :slight_smile:

I know I’m late jumping on the cart, but I wanted to take a stab at answering this for you Teufelhung OR:

[quote=“Teufelhund OR, post:1, topic:7708”] With all of the talk of Demons, Evocation and the darker magical path…

How do the Norse Gods play into all of this.[/quote]

One way to do it is to use a black magic system, and instead of using the classic demonology list of entities to work with, you use the Norse ones instead. At that point, it is looking to the mythology for correspondences. They aren’t nice and neat ones, like you’d find in Demonology and Greek mythology for example (which is why so many Greek demons fit so nicely in the originally Christian demonology system). But it more of looking for a general ‘type’.

For example: you state you’re interested in Azazel. There is lots of information on him, as I am sure you’ve already found, as he’s popular for black magicians to work with. Not only that, he likes to work with people. So, let’s say you choose to work with Azazel to further your spiritual development, let’s say. He likes to help people do that. If you’re looking for a corresponding Norse entity, you might choose Odin (how covonenient, you have a relationship with him already!) or Freya or Freyr or Njordh or Mimir or Vafthruthnir or Gullveig. All of these entities deal with wisdom, spirituality, and the magickal journey in some way. Let’s choose Vafthruthnir, because people don’t talk about the poor guy very much.

Firstly, you’re going to come up with a bindrune that stands for Vafthruthnir. There are lots of ways you can do it (let me know if you want to go into that). This is what you will use for your sigil in your ceremony, where normally you would have the sigil of Azazel, you have this bindrune. So, you’re going about the ritual in the same way (after time, you’ll adapt it to give it a more Norse feel. At least, that is what I have done, but it is obvious that the trappings are ceremonial magic), gazing at the sigil, chanting ‘vafthruthnir’, to get your evocation juices going. Then, once you’ve evoked the Jotun (and if you choose to do this, tell us what happens!) ask your questions and get your knowledge and do all that magicky stuff that we do!

I’ll end here, because I could go on for ages and ages. Also, I might have to evoke him now, to see what happens.

In my experience, Óðinn is willing to get darker and more violent than a lot of “demons” (especially ones who are summoned under a Judeo-Xian mask) and Þórr (Thor) is far more powerful than anything the angels can dream up.

And that’s just the spear side (spere-healfe) - I left the distaff side of power out because I’m not sure a kosherised world looking for “one and only gawd 'n equality” - tainted by ferminism and the notion of “female = victim and striver,” as our discourse mostly is - is ready for that yet. :wink:

Magick from the LHP (as the Norse always would have gone, had we not had centuries of cultural genocide under a weird middle eastern zombie cult) would have evolved to this realisation - that we best honour our gods by aspiring to walk amongst them - and our children would now be being taught power, and evolution, not guilt and self-hating shame.

1 Like

Oh my goodness, yes! In fact, I would recommend a newbie NOT work with Óðinn unless you are ready for a wild ride (It is called The Wild Hunt for a reason). And Þórr ! I know in many circles he is called upon as the guardian of man, and for good reason. You want something gone from your life–here’s your man. I’d be running like a crazy, nekkid huldr in the woods if he looked at me wrong.

The Norse pantheon is some powerful stuff! I love it! <3

YES!!! (As I weave–and yes, I do weave).

Hello fellow Odinist (I mean that I follow his example and honor him)! I think modern asatru/Odinism is getting a lot of things right but it’s also getting a lot of things wrong. The way that they depict the gods as fluffy and sweet really grinds my gears. Sure the gods can look after you and in some cases they probably have affection towards you but each and every god has a dark side. Many magicians believe that Odin is in fact a God of dark magick and a guide for those walking the left hand path. I consider myself among these magicians. The runes have power and shamanism and nature play a big part into it all. My advice is to start building relationships with the gods you feel called to, regardless of pantheon or culture. The gods that I consider to be my closest allies and mentors are Odin, Thor, Ningizidda, Asmodeus, and Azazel. Magick is the tool that allowed me to build a relationship with Odin and Thor and now they give me advice and come to ME instead of the other way around. If your a newbie, I wish you the best and may you enjoy this wild and beautiful ride. I know I do.

In my experience, the Norse pantheon is anything but fluffy or sweet. I’ve met demons who are sweeter and definitely fluffier. They’re very dark entities, even the ‘light and fluffy ones’. I think those that think the Norse Gods are ‘goodness and light’ are not having a real connection with the pantheon. They’re very much like Nature itself–cosmic forces that can blow you down with a gale or cool your heated skin with a breeze.

What I like about the Norse pantheon is that they want to work with you. It is a camaraderie feeling that comes through. Much more human feeling than most of the demonic or angelic realm.

In my experience, the Norse pantheon is anything but fluffy or sweet. I’ve met demons who are sweeter and definitely fluffier. They’re very dark entities, even the ‘light and fluffy ones’. I think those that think the Norse Gods are ‘goodness and light’ are not having a real connection with the pantheon. They’re very much like Nature itself–cosmic forces that can blow you down with a gale or cool your heated skin with a breeze.

What I like about the Norse pantheon is that they want to work with you. It is a camaraderie feeling that comes through. Much more human feeling than most of the demonic or angelic realm.[/quote] Couldn’t agree more. If they respect you, it’s a respect that lasts a long time. And they are genuinely invested in your success and potential. I used to want to work with just the Norse pantheon but then Odin said that there were things to learn from other spirits. Thanks partially to his advice, I met my other great spiritual ally, Ningizidda. Perhaps we could collaborate some rituals to open some portals to the Aesir and Vanir.

Sounds great!

Sounds great![/quote]

Yes it does!

I’ll be looking into a good time such as Ostara or maybe Yule.

The impatient bit of me is thinking, what about Samhain? :slight_smile:

The impatient bit of me is thinking, what about Samhain? :)[/quote] I forgot about Samhain. Shame on me. That sounds excellent. Communion with the ancestors and the dark gods to open permanent doors would be great.

The impatient bit of me is thinking, what about Samhain? :)[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Interesting thing about Samain and ‘Doors’ in a Northern and also Western European context.

As the Úr rune can be associated with Ymir the primæval being that was sacrificed and rent apart for the sake of providing substance for our world (and whose runic equivalency with the ‘ox’ lends itself to many pan-Indo-European comparisons of bovine metaphor in this world-creative context), so too is the leading of the sacrificial [ox, bovine, animal, whatever] to the summit of the ancestral grave-mound (the Kaun rune is related to this, especially to the mound’s interior, firelit during the ancestral mysteries of the Samain season; this rune is also associated with Freyja, Lady of the Slain in her hall Fólkvangr), where the vapour arising from its fresh blood helped in turn to give creatory substance in our world to the ancestral spirits below.

This coming time of year was always the time when the ancestral grave mounds would be opened and, disguised to resemble dead spirits themselves, the ancestral magitians would travel to the world re-created in substantial form by the blood sacrifice of their microcosmic Ymir (or, at any rate, Ox/[whatever animal or whatever]) and alongside their microcosmic Yggdrasill or tree of that world that had been planted above, below, through that world microcosmically re-presented by the burial mound.

Or, so it might have been, anyway. :wink:

Ok FraterMagni, what are we doing? I’m bouncing in my seat, all excited!!

Bumping this! :slight_smile: