Encounter with New Age Zealot

Today I went into a spiritual store. It had a wide variety of cool items: Handcrafted items, crystals, native american stuff, spiritual books, etc. I’m not opposed to these types of places even though I know that it caters to New Age types more than black magicians. To each their own.

Anyhow, I asked the owner if she had ever run across a used copy of the Goetia. I then described it to her. She got a stern and concerned look on her face. She said that she was a channeler. For the next 30 minutes she lectured me on the dangers of dealing with dark energies or trying to impose our will on our reality in the least bit. It was almost like talking to a fundamental Baptist. Very strange how adamant she was on just allowing life to play out without intervening.

You stood there listening to her for 30 minutes???

While it may be hard to understand why jboy would spend 30 minutes listening to her.
I do like from time to time to listen to others peoples perspective on things, even if it very much contradicts my own (and even if a lot of what they are saying is fucking bullshit.)

Which allows me to be able to have a much greater world view and gather more information to expand my view on things.

“Spiritual” stores tend to be New Agey or Wicca oriented. There’s one I go to that’s very Eastern based, with a healthy dose of New Age. I go there to buy candles in planetary colors, incense, and the occasional book. I chat, but don’t really get into what I do. I usually just say I’m eclectic, and leave it at that. They’re great people, but they’d probably smudge the place with sage after I left if they really knew what I get up to at night.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I totally agree. I like hearing what people have to say as well… but thirty minutes of being scolded is beyond my tolerance for patience. Personally speaking.

While it may be hard to understand why jboy would spend 30 minutes listening to her.
I do like from time to time to listen to others peoples perspective on things, even if it very much contradicts my own (and even if a lot of what they are saying is fucking bullshit.)

Which allows me to be able to have a much greater world view and gather more information to expand my view on things.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong, I got agitated at the end.

But if she’s doing magic…that’s what magic is changing reality even if it’s “positive” energy.

Even If you were to practice say ceremonial Christian magic they don’t believe demons to be evil but just something to help the Mage as the Mage is made in Gods image.

Well this lady said she doesn’t even do magick to help situations. Her “magick” seemed to be related just to talking to her spirits and “doing battle” against the darkness (whatever she meant by that).

To make things more lame, she was a health nut that got onto me about using incense: “It’s all toxic and terrible for your body.” So lame. Just all around lame.

[quote=“jboy, post:8, topic:7551”]Well this lady said she doesn’t even do magick to help situations. Are “magick” seemed to be related just to talking to her spirits and “doing battle” against the darkness (whatever she meant by that).

To make things more lame, she was a health nut that got onto me about using incense: “It’s all toxic and terrible for your body.” So lame. Just all around lame.[/quote]

Wouldnt battling dark forces be a form of imposing your will on reality though? I mean dark things are a part of the universe as much as white things are.

She was correct about that: http://clinicalmolecularallergy.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-7961-6-3

I seldom use it because it makes me ill, I can handle camphor and pure frankincense in small amounts but they’re not suitable for everything, they’re expensive, and I just am not crazy about breathing in anything except fresh air.

My reaction is admittedly towards the extreme end, but they’re not good for anyone.

I should be more cautious. I often go overboard against what I call The Pussification of America. I’ll rethink the incense. But I’ll probably stil use it.

I agree with the sentiment, still incense does come with some risks, and it’s not strictly necessary to get an evocation or a proper result from the work. I’m biased against it, but the evidence is there.

I had this image ages ago of people using booths with glass walls which could be filled with smoke for the spirit to manifest into, and an EVP recorder or “devil’s toybox” wired with a mic as well, and performing evocations into those. It would solve a lot of problems, though you’d probably need a few different boxes because some of these dudes do NOT like to share! :slight_smile:

I Find it always Funny when I Hear Christian Ceremonial Magick, Christian Faith and Magick is totally Opposed, … But people love to Dream…

I’d avoid the lady all together. There’s no occult stores here so we buy everything online.

Actually the Mass is a pretty potent ritual. Transubstantiation of the Eucharist is alchemy, and the energy raised through faith is nothing to scoff at. I’ve had debates with a friend of mine, who is a catholic priest, about this. He insists it is not magic…but my senses see the forces employed, and it is surely a form of such.