Elements and their domains

Hi. I was looking for a reliable source of information about the elements being used in magick and which element to choose according to the desired effect. I know there are effects that are obvious: Air should be used to grant knowledge, increase learning capability etc. While Earth should ne used for protection or endurance and Water to deal with emotions.
But there are certain effects that are ambiguous, such as healing (should I use Earth or Water?) and other I just don’t have a clue for what to use. To increasing one’s physical strength should I use Fire? Increasing agility would be Air?
What about some less obvious effects such as mind affecting? What if you want to try to put someone to sleep? Or cause changes in the body?

I have a lot of trouble choosing between Earth and Water, the majority of time.

So, basically I’d like to know a good source (site, or even a book) to guide which element to use…

It’s intuitive.

There is no “list” as to what is best for what. Magick doesn’t work that way.

You have to call upon each element, immerse yourself in it, and let it teach you.

For example, you can use Fire to heal a cold or cancer, but it wouldn’t work for a fever since a fever is itself already Fire, in which case your best choice would be Earth, not Water, because Water would extinguish the Fire working to rid the body of infection. Adding the Earth energy would stabilize the body and let the Fire do its work.

Let the elements themselves show you how to work with them.

4 Likes

I see. I know that there will not be a “list” of all the effects in relation with the elements, but I’d like to know more guidelines about them. At least for the examples I posted before.
Do you mean that any element can fit any effect??

Air - Business, legal problems, travel, gaining information & knowledge
logic, writing, locating the proper teachers, divination, creativity, healing
nervous illnesses, plant growth, revealing the truth, find lost objects

Fire - Power, physical freedom, change, passion, sexuality, energy, authority,
confidence, success, personal fulfillment, destruction of negative energies

Water - Change, divination, love, medicine, plants, healing emotions, intuition,
communication with spirit, purification, reprogramming the subconscious mind, pleasure,
marriage, sleep & dreams, friendships, developing the psychic

Earth - Wealth, prosperity, treasures, surrendering self-will, empathy, stability, success,
business, employment, natural fertility, healing, physical illness

4 Likes

You should read Franz Bardon’s Initiation into Hermetics, he has probably the best explanation

2 Likes

To varying degrees, yes. You just need to understand how the elements fit the situation.

It’s not just Earth, Air, Fire and Water, but you also have Fire of Earth, Water of Air, and similar combinations. With a bit of creativity, you can see how each of the different elements applies to something.

1 Like

Thanks. This is a good list. But I see that healing fit more than 1 element. I guess healing mental ilness goes with Air, while thebbody goes with Water? Afterall, Water is related to life.

What would you say about the others:
-Physical strength
-Body agility
-Affecting someone’s mind or mood
-Putting someone to sleep
-Changes in the body
Following @DarkestKnight advice and try to feel what is right, I’d say: Fire,Air,Air/Water/Air and the last one I don’t know if it’s Water or Earth.
What you think?

Also, DarkestKnight, what you mean by combinations? Could you explain further?

I already had a quick read, but I will look again. Don’t remenber of him relating elements with effects, though.

I’ve read Bardon’s book and while he talks a bit about elements, he doesn’t go further into what each element domains are.
I’ve found this Pratical Elemental Magick which does a much better work on this. It has this nice table:

It is very nice. But it have Fire/Air for healing, which made me even more confused. And it doesn’t quite cover the other ones I posted.

If anyone knows of anoyher good book about the elements, I’d love to know.

1 Like

He doesn’t do it because the explanation he gave in the introduction of what force each element is is enough for you to learn what they do through your own practice. Rather than memorize qualities that each element corresponds to, I agree with DarkestKnight, I think you will gain more understanding if you simply experienced each element as they are and deepened your understanding of each one so that you can form your own correspondences. Once you have contact with the element you will know what it does without a table to tell you, and you decide what to do with them then.