Doomsday criers in NY

You think Odin would be okay if I stood at a busy new york street with signs shouting about Ragnarok like demagogues do about the Christian end of the world?

8 Likes

Might as well.
It’d definitely get you internet famous for like a week or 2.

7 Likes

this has me laughing so hard rn

1 Like

goes around shouting at people
´´youre going (to meet) Hel!´´
:joy:

4 Likes

Penance! Penance ! You could but they would all shake there head and say i don’t get it. Who?

2 Likes

Union Square in the city is always a good spot :joy:

4 Likes

I think he’d laugh himself silly. Loki would certainly approve.

2 Likes

Who wants to join me

Make sure you have your spear and magic helmet.

4 Likes

Spear and magic helmet?

3 Likes

You’re showing your age here. And apparently I’m showing mine. :wink:

5 Likes

You should, it would probably piss off the street preachers

3 Likes
4 Likes

This is something I posted a while back, and still stand by:

Controversial UPG - the doomed thing was inserted to align Norse religion with Xianity and the desert god’s love of finality and death, which I covered in another post recently.

Why such blasphemy?

The event is attested primarily in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional sources, and the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson. In the Prose Edda and in a single poem in the Poetic Edda, the event is referred to as Ragnarök or Ragnarøkkr (Old Norse; meaning Fate of the Gods and Twilight of the Gods, respectively), a usage popularised by 19th-century composer Richard Wagner with the title of the last of his Der Ring des Nibelungen operas, Götterdämmerung (1876), which is “Twilight of the Gods” in German.
From Ragnarök - Wikipedia - that link has references for all assertions made

Poisoning the tree of life for that religion by giving it an end that is intended to mimic weird desert concepts, and then lead neatly to a “better” future that resembles Adam and Eve. :thinking:

Defacing the old king to write over his monuments with your own is a trick as old as time, as is trying to force the meme that a thing is futile, “Surrender Dorothy,” everything is already controlled opposition, everything is already fixed in place for your defeat, “if you can’t beat them, join them” because all is lost.

From Sun Tzu to /pol/ we see that same tactic used, and it’s used because, largely, it works - at least on those unaware that such seeming grim realism is just a tactic to gain control.

Overwrite an oral tradition that’s being eradicated at ground level with a written re-imagining that makes it futile and casts its gods as dead men walking, and you create a diversion in a belief system that will outlast the true tradition.

If this happened in another context, one could be dubious, but all Abrahamic cults are fixated on death, on killing their fellow cultists for thought-crimes, on mass disasters that judge the “good” from the “bad” and just end everything, and on attaining a state of death-in-life, the eternal bliss of their paradises.

And you only need to insert a tiny amount of spin into a story to make it appear completely different, in terms of the mass perception (which is, always, all that counts).

I believe Snorri Sturluson took a cyclical concept akin to that of the Hindus (and Aztecs) and worked it into a bit of (attempted) predictive programming and spin, to make the Norse religion seem weaker compared to the living “eternal” Christ.

They took, and overwrote, the Yule celebrations, marking the first day the Sun is visibly moving south again, and attempted to pass that off as the birth of their “son” deity, they also took Easter, and intentionally built over ancient sacred sites. This is not conspiracy theory.

But those sniff-tests aside, the basis of this is my own UPG and of course, I don’t expect anyone to swallow it untested.

Reply on a Quora page “What happens after Ragnarök?”:

The already given answers are good, but I’d like to add something. There is an eddic poem, alternate titled either “Korpsgaldr Odhinns” or “Hrafngaldr Odhinns.” This piece talks about some of the events immediately after Ragnarok, in particular speaking of a quest to ascertain the state of what is left of the multiverse, and determine how to proceed with rebuilding. Heimdall, Bragi, and (!) Loki are said to embark on this journey. (Which is contradiction to the commonly held idea that Heimdall and Loki will fight and co-annihilate during the battle.) Upon their return, Loki will speak with the Asynjur (Goddesses), Bragi with the Gods, and Heimdall with the still-barely-conscious recovered head of Odhinn. It ends on a mystery; and the source of the poem (which is one of the most difficult to read and study) is unknown.

Reply by Christopher Nicholson-Sauls, Godhi of Fincastali

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-after-Ragnarök

This is not widely known. :smiley:

The rest of the replies on that link are also worth reading if you have time.

3 Likes

I can see that happening.