DoM petition ritual- important question around burning the coded sentence - beginner

Hello! I have a silly but important question. Well, I want to do my first ritual from Demons of Magick.

Since I am a beginner I will do the petition ritual but I have a serious phobia of fire and in the ritual I have to burn the paper with the coded sentence/desire and I do not know what to do because I am really terrified of burning it. I tried practising but I become too scared to even light the paper.

My question is - what shall I do? Is there any alternative to burning? if not (I suppose there isn’t because the alchemy is important), can my partner (who also practises magick) come to my room when I am at the point of firing the paper and instead of me, do it. Would that be a problem?

Why do you have a phobia of fire?

If you’re afraid of burning the place down, you can do what i did for this section: Have a candle lit next to you while you do the ritual, along with a small pot. When the time comes, put the paper into the candle fire and once it starts to burn, drop it into the pot and let it finish burning. There isn’t really anything to fear in this process

1 Like

I know… I was planning to do the same thing but I am still terrified and cannot even light the candle :joy: Do you think somebody else could do that part for me?

Maybe. but im still wondering why you’re so afraid of fire. It can be a fairly useful tool in magick, so this is something you’ll want to get beyond if possible

2 Likes

Actually, I do not know. I am also quite scared of heights. It is an irrational fear I suppose

Well, the first thing id do magick for is to have an entity help you overcome this fear tbh. You can try having someone else do it for you and see if it affects anything. If you don’t overcome this fear, you wont even be able to do a physical evocation without someone being there, because you usually have to light some coals and such to get the incense going

2 Likes

They say here that you can tear up the paper as an alternative.

4 Likes

omg thank you!!! I read the demons of magick faqs so many times but that part completely slipped under my radar! THANK YOU!

1 Like

I agree…do you recommend any specific demon or angel for dealing with phobias?

Well, I recommend Phul, the Olympic Spirit of the Moon. Not quite an Angel or a Demon though.

1 Like

Well if you’re working through Demons of Magick, you may want to look into haagenti. One of his descriptions in the book is that he can “bring about a desired change in your personality” You may find someone better though

2 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

thanks!!

1 Like