Do Norse Gods enjoy public praise?

I’ve always heard that you should never tell anyone of your interaction with them, but that’s always bothered me for some reason.

Do they dislike public praise? I mean, old norse tradition places emphasis on fame, so why would they not like public praise?

2 Likes

I never heard this, public praise isn’t an issue it’s a form of offering.

3 Likes

I highly doubt they would dislike praise. During the Symble ritual, the first round of toasting devoted to the remembrance/praise Gods themselves. So, if they approve being praised during a drinking ritual, I don’t see how they wouldn’t approve of other forms of public praise, assuming it is done sincerely

2 Likes

I’ve seen some Ásatrúar claim that their help should never be talked about with anyone else, claiming that they would be offended. I’m guessing they’re just trying to be the opposite from Christians since praise and speaking of miracles is very common there.

I could see it being more offensive to those particular individuals of that group than both the gods or others outside of that group. The kindred I was involved with had no issue with members praising the gods for their blessings, as we know we were not trying to one up eachother but grow as a group.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. A lot of these claims from recovering Christian type Ásatrúar have held me back a lot and made me unnecessarily wary.

Yeah, I get it. It is important to keep in mind that Asatru is a very, very community based aspect to that path. Much of the rules are more for the social aspect, not really the gods point of view. The best approach is to work with the gods themselves to figure out what is appropriate and what is not.

1 Like

Hello !

Well to be fair i would say : it depends on which one.From personal experience, Thor would be really happy that you brag about his help but Odin would hate that you share the secrets he told you. Loki would like praise too but Tyr would not appreciate that you brag about your relationships with the gods. It really depends on who you work with.

Besides i’d say not telling too much is mostly common sense. It was ok to praise them when they were the main gods and that everyone in the community knew about them. But in our modern society they are not the only/main gods revered and it would be a good way to look like a lunatic or being discredited. (Especially because what people know about Norse gods is that people who claim to work with them are…Let’s say strongly politically involved.)

Long story short it’s mostly about the society we live in and not about what they like or not.
Hope it helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see, that makes sense :thinking: I really enjoy giving them praise and speaking of what they have done for me, but of course I wouldn’t want to damage my relationship with them.

1 Like

You’ll know if you do i think.
But if you need anything or any advice for anything feel free to ask me.
I don’t know everything of course but i have been working with them for 3 years now and i’ll probably have a few tips :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why do you not ask the god that you are working with? I have been specifically told NOT to divulge details about my relationships with my four main god(desse)s, which I will admit disappoints me, because I like to share stuff. But then, I know of other people where they were told specifically to sing the praises of that god from the rooftops. I think it depends entirely on the situation.