Do any of you recognize these symbols?

Looks like someone crafted a cursed box. Several of the futhark runes are inverted which usually makes them negative.

Fehu, Hagalaz, -Laguz

Fehu is for food wealth and well being. Hagalaz is for hail and is usually an attack rune. Inverted Laguz is lack of water or bad water and is commonly a curse rune.

The one that looks like a triangle on a pole is inverted Wunjo or joy. Wunjo rune is for success and happiness, inverted is discord and misery.

Those could be wards to keep stuff out, but I’d bet on nefarious box of untold horror.

5 Likes

Those are rune symbles but I wouldn’t chance in messing with that box

2 Likes

Thank you for your input, thus far I have observed the same things, I am puzzled as to why there seem to be various scripts mixed with runes which magically speaking they would conflict with each other. In any case Thank you for your explanation.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your comments guys, I do really appreciate it. Keep it coming if you see anything else.

Are you planning on opening it to see whats inside?

2 Likes

There are definitely a few Futhark runes, both forward and inverted, but they seem pretty out of context with one another.
Berkana and an extra-wide Dagaz in the top left of the latch-side, with Wunjo right below them, though Wunjo is backward and has those extra little dots to the sides, and has a horizinotal bar at the bottom? Another Berkana near the middle in the bottom row on the hinge-side, and a backward Laguz in the top row, but with extra little curls or dots at the tips.
Not counting Those first two as Fehu or Hagalaz, they seem too deliberately curvy.

As for the rest, I couldn’t find a single Theban letter in the lot. Checked them against Enochian and a smattering of Rennaisance-era magickal alphabets, as well, but nothing. Lots of very similar shapes, but they don’t seem to translate.

A few of them could almost be homemade sigils off of one planetary square or another, particularly the center two on the top row, hinge-side. For that matter, MOST of them could be homebrewed Sigils from whomever did the box. The top triangle does seem familiar, but like most of everything else, I couldn’t find a match.

Lightning bolts (Lid, left side) are all sorts of symbolic, as are Hexagrams. The twisty loop (Lid, right side) could be an Icthus, or an inverted Cancer ribbon. The big lace-looking pentagram surrounding the mysterious triangle sigil is, if nothing else, a pentangular symbol itself? Lots of possibilities there.

Do you have any more information about this box? Is there anything inside it, and has anybody opened it up? The latch, at least, looks practically new, and it could be telling that it’s only a hook-closure, not a heavy padlock situation. That might indicate that whomever put the box together expected to access its contents regularly.

On the other hand, the top and front are quite dusty, while the back is clean. Seems like it’s sat on a shelf against a wall for a long while, or for a little while in a really dusty environment.

I’ll be interested to hear about any further developments.

4 Likes

Wow, thank you for your time and your observations. You really took your time to examine the pics and pitch in, thank you very much. We’ll I do not know what happened to it anymore, but 8 advised against opening it, just in case. Now some of the letters on the side are one of Tolkien’s languages. But in general I think it’s a just a box made to look “occult” and magickal.

1 Like

You’re most welcome. :slight_smile:

I asked about its origins mostly because I wondered if it might be a prop, as well. I could as easily see it being the product of an inexperienced practitioner, with limited access to quality occult references.

Regardless of the level of experience, someone with good instincts for the work could make any language work as a mnemonic.

1 Like

Anyone notice the Christian fish symbol?

1 Like

Ickthys!
A Greek word for a Christian mystic symbol. I love seeing it on cars, and jewelery. I just chuckle to myself because they don’t seem to realize they’re dealing with a charm.

3 Likes

Truly it is, and just for informational purposes, the Greek word Ιχθύς (Eechthees) means Fish. It’s used by Xstians because Jesus multiplied the bread and fish, but yes, most don’t realize this is a charm.

I fail to see if the box has any power at all. It might have been decorated with randomly picked occult-looking symbols just to scare curious people away.

1 Like

how can you tell the runes are inverted?

Nope only one of them could be a Nordic Rune…the others for sure are not. The one that look like a B with triangles is a rune but that’s a really common symbol in many other systems too.

1 Like

They combined runes into a single symbol sometimes, but they didn’t add sqigglies and stuff to them and write them bakwards if they were using them…at least that’s Norse now a ambition might…idk

1 Like

What are you talking about? I am looking at a whole top line on the face that’s the elder and younger rune sets, Ansuz/fehu, Hagalaz, Laguz, Ing, Othala, Gar, and two that I i know are Anglo Saxon Futhorc finishing it off. Now, I was only a practicing heathen for 15 freakin years of my life, but I am fairly certain those I listed are definitely runes, and more than one.

1 Like

Thank you all for your time and comments, in the end I can’t sense something definite from the box but then again runes and bindrunes exist to conceal such things. It’s locked away either way now. Once again thank you all for your input, infinite blessings!

Yep…i only saw the one pic…sorry.

The Symbol in the red triangle is Tubal-Cain

Welcome @AlwaysWatching It is a rule of this forum for all new members to properly introduce themselves, so PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW and tell us about yourself and any experience you may have in magick, such as what you practice, how long you have practiced, areas of interest, etc:

intro3