Direction to face depending the elemental nature of the spirit

Friends,

I am quite confused regarding to what cardinal point I should face depending on what element a certain spirit rules. Until now I have been using:

North = Air
South= Fire
Water = West
Earth = East

My take was due to geographical distribution of elements according to the climate and myths relating to the birth and death of the Sun:

Hotter climate starting from the Ecuator line towards the South? That’s Fire. Colder climate North-wise? Air.

The Sun naturally appears to the East? Earth and since this element represents traditions and old cultures, I judged it preponderant towards the East where the first civilizations of mankind began historically. Coincidentally most of these cultures worshiped the figure of the bull under various reasons, and what better shape to represent this element other than the very same as the fixed earthly sign, Taurus?

As for the West, I followed the esoteric tradition that water is linked to Death and transition, and since the Sun “dies” towards the West (traditionally held the abode of the dead in many cultures), well, I opted following that direction.

BUT THEN I SAW THE DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THIS SYSTEM AND THE DIRECTIONS USED IN THE WATCHTOWER GUARDIAN RITES, that states:

North = Earth
South = Fire
East = Air
West= Water

Whenever I ask spirits regarding this matter they all tell me to just forget about such nuances, that it is intent which sets things into motion. Sure, I already know that, and as a matter of fact I hardly ever use ritual ceremonies anymore, but they do not answer this question beyond that.

What is your take?

[quote=“333, post:1, topic:5057”]Whenever I ask spirits regarding this matter they all tell me to just forget about such nuances, that it is intent which sets things into motion. Sure, I already know that, and as a matter of fact I hardly ever use ritual ceremonies anymore, but they do not answer this question beyond that.

What is your take?[/quote]

The directions in Feng Shui and also shamanic traditions are different again, so I think go with what the spirits say!

my head is a draydel !!!

[quote=“333, post:1, topic:5057”]Friends,

I am quite confused regarding to what cardinal point I should face depending on what element a certain spirit rules. Until now I have been using:

North = Air
South= Fire
Water = West
Earth = East

My take was due to geographical distribution of elements according to the climate and myths relating to the birth and death of the Sun:

Hotter climate starting from the Ecuator line towards the South? That’s Fire. Colder climate North-wise? Air.

The Sun naturally appears to the East? Earth and since this element represents traditions and old cultures, I judged it preponderant towards the East where the first civilizations of mankind began historically. Coincidentally most of these cultures worshiped the figure of the bull under various reasons, and what better shape to represent this element other than the very same as the fixed earthly sign, Taurus?

As for the West, I followed the esoteric tradition that water is linked to Death and transition, and since the Sun “dies” towards the West (traditionally held the abode of the dead in many cultures), well, I opted following that direction.

BUT THEN I SAW THE DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THIS SYSTEM AND THE DIRECTIONS USED IN THE WATCHTOWER GUARDIAN RITES, that states:

North = Earth
South = Fire
East = Air
West= Water

Whenever I ask spirits regarding this matter they all tell me to just forget about such nuances, that it is intent which sets things into motion. Sure, I already know that, and as a matter of fact I hardly ever use ritual ceremonies anymore, but they do not answer this question beyond that.

Keep in mind that the “elements” of 18th to 20th century ceremonial mystics are NOT the elements as defined by medieval and Renaissance-era magicians and don’t work the same way.

The spirits are correct. Magic is technology, not mysticism. My advice is to discard the ritual and learn to work directly with the elements themselves.

1 Like

Thank you guys and gals, helpful as always :smiley: I’ll do what you suggested, after all, I’ve got the very own spirits telling me the same thing. What ELSE evidence I need? :slight_smile:

The directions and their relationship to the elements is quite fascinating. I recently received and read Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways and the author assigns these elements and animals to the quadrants:
East-Fire-Serpent
South-Earth-Hare
West-Water-Toad
North-Air-Raven

I personally use North/Earth, South/Fire, West/Water, East/Air. That’s what I’ve always used, so it’s what I’m most comfortable with.

[quote=“Sultitan_Itan, post:4, topic:5057”]Keep in mind that the “elements” of 18th to 20th century ceremonial mystics are NOT the elements as defined by medieval and Renaissance-era magicians and don’t work the same way.

The spirits are correct. Magic is technology, not mysticism. My advice is to discard the ritual and learn to work directly with the elements themselves.[/quote]

Could you give us some sources/references? I don’t mean that in an argumentative way, I actually would like to read more about this.

Agrippa : east - fire-michael ,south - earth -uriel,west - air - raphael, north - water - gabriel … I usually face east (realm of the rising sun) UNLESS the grimoire advises otherwise … Like paimon west

[quote=“333, post:1, topic:5057”]Friends,

North = Air
South= Fire
Water = West
Earth = East

North = Earth
South = Fire
East = Air
West= Water

I go with the original since it lines up with the LBRP properly (Raphael is wind in the east, Gabriel water in the west, Auriel earth in the north, and Michael is fire in the south).