Differences

Hello. So I wanna know what’s the difference between Lucifer and Satan. I’ve read that they r different entities but sometimes I still mistake them for one another. And i grew up in a Christian home so we r taught that they r the same. Can y’all give me more insights so that i may not unknowingly insult and annoy them😅. Thanks

First of all, there are many such questions, next time use the search bar to see if your questions haven’t already been asked.

Lucifer was only included in the Protestant bible once, and theological scholars have long since admitted his inclusion was a mistake, since most of the original Protestants weren’t as well educated. The reason they used Lucifer, was due to his name meaning morning star, Dawn-bringer or Light-bearer. The Jews had an enemy tribe, who had a solar deity as their primary god, named Hillel, they associated him with Lucifer, wrongfully so.

Lucifer is a pagan God, Lucifer is as he was known in Rome, Phosphorus in Greece, and Attar in Babylon. He is the husband of the goddess Diana, and the male God associated with the planet Venus.

Satan is inspired by pre-Christian adversarial forces like Ahriman. Some do mistakenly consider the two the same, but it’s false.

2 Likes

I tend to view Satan as nothing but a title and often given to many beings or a internal position under Lucifer. The God and king of the Infernal Nation. However, normally I’m not the type to merge beings but I find he could very well also be Enki who is considered the divine masculine of Lilith. But I’ve open to being wrong there.

@Nomura01 There is no defenetive answer for this. 218 goes by the idea that Satan is Lucifer for various reasons.
As to the translations , Satan translates roughly to accuser or adversary and fit in as an archetype.

Lucifer is an translation of Helel ben Shaḥar and not Hillel. Its also not just in the protestant bibles.
Westminster Leningrad Codex

אֵ֛יךְ נָפַ֥לְתָּ מִשָּׁמַ֖יִם הֵילֵ֣ל בֶּן־שָׁ֑חַר נִגְדַּ֣עְתָּ לָאָ֔רֶץ חֹולֵ֖שׁ עַל־גֹּויִֽם׃