Difference between high magick and low magick

What are the factors that make a magick high and low? Some people believe demon magick is low magick, why?

Low magick is more about nature and is lower ritual.

High magick usually involves a lot of tools and sometimes a group of people to pull off complex rituals.

Almost all magick involving demons is considered high magick.

6 Likes

From my understanding:
Low magick is for materialistic things as in physical results. Changing the outside world to meet the inside.
High magick is for self change were the results spiritual or metaphysical. Changing the inside to meet the outside.

With a subjective point of view, yes, why not. You say if it deals with mundane, then it’s low.

Anyway, have you heard demon magick called as low magick, or do you have any idea about it?

These are from the book of Milo Duquette.

"For these people, "high magick’’ refers to a formal process of effecting change in one’s environment by enlisting the aid of God and a heavenly hierarchy of good archangels, angels, intelligences,
and spirits; and “low magick’’ refers to a formal process of effecting change by enlisting the aid of the devil (or devils), fallen angels, and infernal evil spirits and demons.Heavenly stuff is high. Infernal
stuff is low”

He is not OK with this and me neither . But that 's the answer of your question :slight_smile:

Low magic is petty, fluffy magic, such as illusion magic, fairy magic, give me a good day magic, blah blah blah ect. High magic is now were you place yourself into a need, desire, something that means something to you, an achievement, a reason to reckon with. Then you have your higher sources that seek answers and truth, and selfishness magic, and ruin magic, hatred, and hurt to death. Those come with prices to pay for if you reasons to do so aren’t in such of need that the need is needed or person (s) don’t deserve.

Often some practitioners of high magick use it to insult others who practice ‘low magick’ which in the end just makes them look stupid as high and low magick is a baseless distinction that took root some time ago. However later high magick became in some divisions magick that takes in the west are the kinds of magick that required lots of money and/or education to practice: hermeticism, the Kabbalah, Enochian magick, magical alchemy, etc.

and low magick was based solely on everyday needs money, love, food, protection, basically common folk practical needs. Common folk back then didn’t have time to commune with the angels or planetary bodies they had to worry about where they’d get their next meal, to feed their family, to make sure they survive the night.

High magick followed a strict order while low magic is versatile.

I’ve met a few psions who practiced high magick and thought themselves better but in the end high and low are no different besides approach, magick is magick, it’s part of nature no matter which you go for, the division is useless.

it’s not really high and low it’s more ceremonial vs folk magick but ceremonial in the most minimalistic way can bleed into folk magick.

12 Likes

:point_up_2: This exactly!

1 Like

Demon magick is considered low because these spirits tend to change the outside! However they are not specifically just low magick! It depends on your request! So in my opinion what spirit you use doesn’t indicate low/high magick! It depends on your request and what you are trying to do!

2 Likes

this article explains it. however, i don’t care for labels. magick is magick. if i get my goal i don’t care what it’s called. i just call it magick.

3 Likes

I never have seen any real practitioner here implying something like that, at least in BALG; probably it is something left in the past as such distinction btw low - high is no more goes by definition and became very subjective. ( not just here, even btw seasoned magicians like Duquette, Lipp, Connoly. …)

Having said so just one time , lately indeed, I’ve seen someone who claims Wiccans as not advanced as magicians; but yeah, well, that’s just, like, their opinion, man. :slight_smile:

It still happens fairly often and BALG is kind of "closed’ off compared to other forums by that I mean I notice most on BALG have not been around many communities in regards to occult and psionics. But the definitions often align with a general meaning though pretty much useless terms.

1 Like