Diet

I was pretty happy with how my afternoon trance meditation went, I thought “a few more attempts like this and I should get into the theta state quite easily”… then I ate a massive roast at 6pm. An hour and a half later I tried another meditation and it was horrible. I couldn’t feel energy, I couldn’t get into the zone whatsoever. A complete failure. I’m now assuming eating a lot is not conducive to entering into the theta state. I thought it would help by making me more relaxed.

What are other people’s experience with magic versus diet?

Also, whats your opinion about caffeine? Each time Ive have an OBE (partial OBE) Ive been dosed up on it (something I didn’t even realise until just recently when I was trying to put together what I did before each successful experience).

I’m not a super healthy eater (but I do try) and my routine is, at least an hour and a half after dinner I will do a bit of exercise for about 30 minutes and then get straight into it. I find that the post-exercise relaxation gets me into the theta haze quite easily.

Interesting topic, I was reading a book of some guy who channels and says that you should avoid read meat and caffeine in order to be able to be in tune with the spirit world …not so long ago I thought about flirting with vegetarianism but hell no…I do love meat…and Im fond of cappuchinos and Im totally a Coca Cola junkie, so…but all those things I guess I can cut them down proven it`s useful…

I’d totally have to agree with your hypothesis, Brutus. I’ve found that after eating a light meal of an apple or two, maybe a small salad, and a full cup of water, my energetic body becomes quite dense and palpable. After drinking milk, or eating meats (except for fish), I find it diminishes to a nearly imperceptible level. I’ve also found that stuffing myself decreases it as well.
My theory is that you begin burning the more fatty foods, increasing your total “yang” energies and leaving high and dry for the next couple of hours.

oh, and p.s. - I have the same experience with caffeine. It seems a light dose of caffeine before bedtime increases my chances of a good solid exit.

My diet of cheese doodles and coca cola doesn’t seem to affect my ritual workings, but I could be mistaken.

What is a cheese doodle?

[quote=“Brutus, post:1, topic:453”]I was pretty happy with how my afternoon trance meditation went, I thought “a few more attempts like this and I should get into the theta state quite easily”… then I ate a massive roast at 6pm. An hour and a half later I tried another meditation and it was horrible. I couldn’t feel energy, I couldn’t get into the zone whatsoever. A complete failure. I’m now assuming eating a lot is not conducive to entering into the theta state. I thought it would help by making me more relaxed.

What are other people’s experience with magic versus diet?

Also, whats your opinion about caffeine? Each time Ive have an OBE (partial OBE) Ive been dosed up on it (something I didn’t even realise until just recently when I was trying to put together what I did before each successful experience).[/quote]

Robert Bruce advises those who have stirred up their energy too much during practice (and thus have a hard time sleeping / relaxing) to eat a heavy meal. I think he said it has something to do with the body needing your energy to digest a heavy meal helps get your energy centers to chill out.

EA suggests something similar - after doing a big working like an evocation, to do something mundane, potentially up to eating a nice big meal. This is, to my understanding, to dispel the energetic tension involved and allow the operator to get back to the normal (as opposed to just continuing to exhaust yourself buzzing and ruminating).

So yea, I probably wouldn’t eat a big heavy-duty meal right within a few hours of doing any major workings or even meditation. If you must eat a big meal, do it during the middle of your day or sometime after your workings/meditation/exercises.

hi all.

it’s an interesting subject, but as i started with the older grimoires which recommended fasting entirely (often for rather long periods), i don’t have much experience with an actual “magical” diet.

that’s not to say that i followed the grimoires and fasted as they recommend (in that i have a reasonably active life and i need to maintain my blood sugar levels out of necessity), but i tried to fast for at least the day of a working, which usually fell on a saturday.

these days i try and eat a little healthier in the morning (like a decent high fibre cereal) and i’ll fast from noon until well past midnight when i perform my workings. overall, my diet is terrible and i should know better, but i love my fast food, soda pop, cigarettes and the like. i generally won’t eat fruit unless it’s in cereal or with ice cream, so yes, i can attest to diet making a difference when it comes to ritual.

i should point out, though, that i’ve only noticed a difference of fasting a little vs not fasting, and not necessarily healthy food vs fasting or vs unhealthy food, because i don’t usually eat healthy food so i don’t have a frame of reference.

i have noticed that if i eat a nutritious, well-balanced meal (like camping food which is really convenient as i’m a college student right now) the night before, i have enough energy for the next day’s fast without it being too heavy.

it makes sense from a purely nutritional standpoint, though. we all know that bad food is bad for us (no matter how good it tastes:) and that it’s harder to run our bodies efficiently on high salt/fat/sugar diets compared to simply giving it what it wants and needs (fibre, simple sugars, complex carbs, proteins, essential fats etc). after fast food, i feel absolutely horrible, but i eat it because i like it at the time. if i wanted to train athletically, i’d definitely eat better simply because fast food would be a hindrance.

as the brain is just another organ of the body at the end of the day, it’s reasonable to suspect it wouldn’t operate any more efficiently than the other organs when fed poor quality food (or even just too-much food in one sitting).

just my humble hypothesis.

kind regards, james.

I went vegetarian earlier this year after an intense ego-loss experience where I gained deep knowledge about interconnectivity and have found it has been key to my recent spike in ability, but you really have to be committed to it, I don’t miss meat at all, never get cravings and feel gross even looking at raw meat.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people unless they have that deep desire as it involves a fair bit of reprogramming of your attitudes to eating and you also have to be a little more careful to make sure you are meeting your dietary requirements. Although I have always been a healthy eater being big on fitness and even into body building at one point.

Also I never eat before a working, in the mornings I do my meditations before breakfast and if I am going to do a ritual in the evening either Ill have dinner after or wait several hours for digestion before starting, having a meal sitting in you lowers my energy and makes it difficult to focus.

as a quick aside (not trying to hijack the thread), has anyone noticed a difference in psychic ability while using various drugs? i’m not talking specifically about psychoactive substances, but more mundane things like pain killers, blood pressure medication, antidepressants and whatever else.

basically, something which we may need to take on a regular basis (i.e, for our own physical or psychological health) but which, because we take so often, we may forget about or not factor into our diet, which necessarily includes medications.

personally, i recently revaluated my antidepressant regime and increased my dose by three times (i was on a “starter” dose so this is not unusual). i have actually noticed that after ritual or psychic work, i don’t see the “shadow people” or the after effects of auras like i used to. i can still sense them, but i can’t see them visually.

someone once asked me if drugs like valium and xanax would help with reaching the initial trance state as they are central nervous depressants (and therefore make you drowsy). in my experience, the first stage of trance (deep relaxation) is easily reached on these meds, but progress is halted beyond this (no paralysis, visuals, theta/gamma sync etc). it seems as though the more aware you become of the subtler energies, the less sensitive you become to them until you end up feeling numb and heavy instead of sharp and alert. the moral of the story? vitamins and medications may be as crucial as an appropriate diet (or, they may not… just an idea i had).

conversely, the reason i believe moderate alcohol intake helps during ritual is because of its relatively fast clearance compared to other drugs. if you’re only a little drunk for a half an hour, you’re sober by the time you raise energy, but relaxed from the initial effect of the alcohol (but i don’t drink so take it with a grain of salt).

kind regards, james.

I have noticed certain supplements give a boost. Light opiates give a massive boost imo. I used to knock down a half a balloon of H or like a quarter strip of suboxone to get to that spot where you can hear people talking or see spirits. Gaba seems to do a swell job as well in higher doses. Also - another med that I’ve found to be really really effective in this arena is Neurontin. A few tabs of Neurontin, and energy just comes out of the wood work. It doesn’t necessarily fuck you up, but it makes energy extremely palpable. I used to eat a couple 800’s right before chi gong training. It would kick it up to pretty intense levels.
I’m not sure what is exactly going on with drugs, food, diet and energy. Half of it seems obvious, while the other half seems like it doesn’t make any sense at all. If only my spiritual eyes were fully open, I could see the how and why of the matter. But I can’t - so till then let the speculations ensue! :smiley:

Dk thats pretty interesting, I’ve never heard of opiates being used in that way. Also what are “800’s”?

I have pot really great for evocation, I can keep focused enough now to perform all the steps with will but then find the flow thought patterns awesome for conversing with spirits and intpreting surreal visions (am I just lucky/crazy with these or do people also get this from spirits).

I always intend to do workings whilst on acid but then it just never seems to happen. I get so caught up in just experiancing and watching the fractal unfold. I also get the impression that at that time the ritual would be… pointless? its a difficult thing to describe.

Soundwave: The 800s are Neurontin 800mg tabs. Neurontin is a strange drug - people normally take it for nerve pain. Apparently it has an interesting side-effect profile as well. :wink:

interesting:)

i’ve found opiates (i.e, codeine) to dull me out completely. i noticed once when i was trying to meditate with sciatica, and the codeine just made it impossible. and GABA makes it all the harder, in my experience. if anything, GABA antagonists like those found in absinthe tend to work better for me as it stimulates the mind and counters the depressive effect of the alcohol.

interesting about the Neurontin (Gabapentin). there’s a newish one out called Pregabalin which is supposed to be better in every way (although it’s a different chemical, so who knows). i don’t have a medical need for it, but if you happen across a prescription for Pregabalin, let us know how it compares.

kind regards, james.

1 Like

I’ve found that after the initial euphoria of H wears off(smoking method), say between 2-4 hours, it is absolutely consistent for me to be able to perceive and hear the spiritual energies around me, particularly in a darkened room. During the initial high it is pretty much too hard to concentrate, lol!

I have had some of my best contacts in this state but I don’t always rely on it, maybe bi- monthly. Codeine I would say does dull me out as you said tiberius. Not really useful other than pain relief.

What I do find useful however maybe more than those two opiates is opium, either from actual opium or doing a poppy seed wash which contains the opium traces on the outside of the seeds. 250-300 grams shaken rigorously for 15 minutes and strained will get you right in to a good state to really go deep and then you can take it from there. Not to be relied on but hey, it does work.

I have something aggravating that has come up and I think it is diet related.

When I was introduced to the theta-gamma state by the mastering evocation course, I nailed it easily. I got the static rain and flashing sigils very quickly and with little effort.

I stopped practicing for a couple of months and now I am having a very difficult time getting these indicators and I have had zero results with any magic work. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out what has changed that might be causing this and I realized that I had been regularly taking vitamin supplements when I first started practicing the theta gamma state.

I am going to start taking the vitamins again and see if that clears the road block.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Thanks!