Did the Norse people have sacred texts beyond the mythologies?

It seems as if they don’t. What we’re reading in Asatru seems to more cultural beliefs than religious dogmas. It’s like the gods don’t make commandments. Instead they seem to act examples and annecdotes. Instead of stating Odin says this or Thor declares that that is.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I believe Norse myths were passed down orally.

4 Likes

The closest you will find is the Havamal, which is claimed to be the words of Odin. Beyond that no, all you have is the Edda’s and Sagas, and what you are able to get from those. However remember to take them with a grain of salt as well because they were transcribed with a Christian bias. For instance most Norse scholars are certain the entire first “chapter” of the poetic Edda is a later addition added by Snorri because of the times and his background.

2 Likes

So the gods are more anecdotal

1 Like

You got it. If you want a more academic look into the topic, I would suggest anything by Ben Wagoner. He is a practicing Heathen and expert accredited scholar on Norse lore.

1 Like

Truth be told this makes the Norse gods more attractive compared to the Christian god

2 Likes

I tent to try and look for other comparisons, though I avoid asatru and snorri mainly because they both create a christianized “hail the Aesir damn the Jotun” ideology of good and evil kind of concept. I take any information I find normally which makes a few things seem more probable.

2 Likes

I have been saying for at least the last decade that Heathenism is inherently a LHP faith, just replaces the edgelord goths with burly bearded guys.

2 Likes

I tend to portray jotun as kinda bad guys in my writing but I Don’t consider them devils in real life. I’m open to working with them.

I disagree with it being lhp. It’s not rhp either. I think it’s more in the middle, community oriented over spiritual oriented

I’ve worked with a few, I always just fine them to just be primordial in nature and most are scared of the primordial aspects of nature even though other mythologies have them too like Nyx, Gaia, etc. It’s just the Jotun come off more primal.

I also agree with this, but then again I don’t follow lhp or rhp I don’t really care for either of them lol.

Both lhp and rhp are very abstract. Asatru seems to be simple in its goal. Respect the tribe, protect your kin, and hail the gods.

I would say it most certainly leans to the left. Not arguing, mind you, just my opinion. Whereas it is very community oriented, you and how you carry yourself always comes first and foremost, and becoming the best you can be especially so. That’s why so many heathens use the phrase “You are your deeds”, because if you are weak, you weaken the tribe. If you are strong (physically or mentally) then you are an asset and respected.

If you want to get a good grasp of heathenry from long practicing Heathens, I would also suggest going into the backlogs of the Raven Radio and Heathen Talk podcasts. A treasure trove of detailed information on Heathenry and the heathen world view.

I go by my three realm theory. The universe is separated into three spiritual kingdoms. Each comes with its beliefs. Basically

Celestial realm, realm of godsend light: order, worship, Hope, self sacrifice
Sylvan realm, realm of man and nature: balance, life, joy, community
Infernal realm, realm of darkness and the dead: change, individualism, desire, rebellion

I’d say Asatru is a sylvan based religion. Rokkatru May be lhp. But lhp involves reveling against the norm. Asatru doesn’t have that feel.

I would also argue that about the Rokkr. The Jotun ARE nature and the natural order. It’s the Aesir and Vanir who seek to control and command nature that flow against that. When Thor challenged Utgard-Loki in the giants Hall, the horn from which he drank was the oceans themselves. The old woman he wrestled was Time/Old Age itself. If anything it’s the Aesir who trample on “the norm” to forge their own path as they see fit.

1 Like

That’s a really interesting way to put it, new to me, is it something you put together or read because if so I’d like to read up on it too

It’s kinda my own but different mythologies have this kinda idea

1 Like

The only aesir I think is lhp is odin and Loki.

Loki is Jotun, not Aesir.

1 Like