Desecrating Holy Books

Anyone ever done this for serious ritual reasons?

One of my spirit pals proposed it recently and I’m quite enthusiastic about the idea, I’ve used ordinary books before as boxes or even kind of like folding picture frames (when I was young we inherited a bunch of worm-damaged books that were falling to bits but had gorgeous covers) and that came out really well.

Now I’m thinking to make one into into a miniature shrine-type thing, carving out a large and heavy “holy” book, ritually desecrating the content I remove, making a box from some of the pages either using glue (like this) or making it from papier-mâché, with the removed pages mixed with relevant substances, so it becomes like a small closet, with the cover over-written with the sigil of the beastie it’s devoted to made from some kind of appropriately offensive mixture of pigments and modelling clay.

Small magnetic clasp to hold it shut, some kind of legs to prop it so it stands upright, lovely.

Going back to all the Abrahamic religions, as well as Atenism, the desecration of the shrines and idols of “the enemy” was a key rite, and books, the spreading of ideas, are how some religions propagate their stuff, so it’s probably magickally relevant - also I did get very good results, better than I expected in fact, using the “reversed and darkened afrin” from one of Ford’s books, and then also from doing various related stuff.

After my current angelic work, I’m thinking of making this my summer crafts project, it’ll take a while if I do it properly, I also have it in mind to mix ashes from some burnt pages (the most significant ones) into black wax and make a perverse version of Dee’s beeswax disk, with “satanic” (for want of a better word) symbols and sigils upon it…

But I won’t be doing this for a while, because I’m all full of angelic love and glory and wanting to be helpful, so I thought I’d share the idea for anyone interested! :slight_smile:

Anyone got any thoughts or any relevant experiences?

(Erm, aside from “Do a reading first” of course!!)

A popular trend in art, at least on Etsy, is to paint over a typed page like this: [url=https://www.etsy.com/listing/208361615/bird-in-crown-art-print-dictionary-page?ref=sr_gallery_16&ga_search_query=painting+dictionary&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery]Bird in Crown Art Print Dictionary Page Art for Home Decor - Etsy

And I’ve seen quite a few ones with occult themes.

I think would actually be interesting to take a page from a holy book and paint Azazel or something like that on the page.

I don’t know if this is what you might be talking about. But for fun when I used some candles for baneful purposes, or if I was working with demonic entities I would buy those Votive candles they sell (I live in Texas huge Hispanic and thus huge catholic population) and tear off the seals/covers. I tore the cover off a st.judo candle once because it was green and then I used in an offering to Bune for money… and I got some lol.

When I moved to this house a couple years ago I saw all the Bibles I’d owned as a child on a bottom shelf, above it were guides, dictionaries, concordances, above those were self+God help books by Dobson, Cole, Swindal, Peretti, Larson, etc.

Looking at them was so panic-inducing, I finally became disgusted with the sensation, then annoyed that my tiny Jo-self was so badly triggered. I collected each one and stacked them on my desk. Then, I re-renounced The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the most profane terms with all my rage, loathing, and hate. Consecrated a black pigma pen and drew pretty curly calligraphic Luciferic sigils on the front and back inside covers of the books, spat upon them, etc., said Words, and replaced them. Well, most of them. Some were too repellant or just plain stupid and mysteriously vanished.

It was very satisfying envisioning the active sigils of Lucifer glowing happily and encompassing the pages therein. Someday, I’ll reread them with more clarity and insight (curious about my childish highlightings and margin comments), but there they sit. Ah, Wisdom.

I’ve not thought about them until now; generally just ignore that bookcase. Its amusing and I can’t imagine doing it again, but it was good reminder that in this incarnation I play the part of Daughter of Perdition. I’m even to the point where I can happily listen to my daughter sing hymns to Jesus, read her fucking Bible stories, and explain the symbolism behind them to my son without nausea. (My darling little skeptic stopped buying Grandma’s insistence that Jesus walked on water and the like. ) Oh, homeschooling is going to be such a ball of fun with newly reasoning small humans. :slight_smile: Maybe for art/geometry we can turn them into pirate treasure boxes, or papier mache! Awesome! My frugal mind adores the re-purposing concept; my ritual flask could use a nice home. :slight_smile: I assumed I’d simply light them on fire at some point since family camping season approaches. But, Ugh. The thought of book burning makes my NerdSelf shudder.

Cheeky! :wink:

Is that bottom one a Samuel Butler Iliad/Odyssey?

Might be, I trawled google image search because I just wanted to get some ideas up. :slight_smile:

I have heard of such a thing. but even in my ‘most righteous days’ I never really considered any book “holy”. Even the so called direct quotes from assumed diety, they never strike me as “holy”. i am of the opinion the first thing to do is to mentally take “Holy” off the title, then it can be taken more seriously as simply a conveyor of data. Besides- the Holy Book of Azazel- takes up any holiness the others may want! }:)>

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:1, topic:4988”]Anyone ever done this for serious ritual reasons?

One of my spirit pals proposed it recently and I’m quite enthusiastic about the idea, I’ve used ordinary books before as boxes or even kind of like folding picture frames (when I was young we inherited a bunch of worm-damaged books that were falling to bits but had gorgeous covers) and that came out really well.

Now I’m thinking to make one into into a miniature shrine-type thing, carving out a large and heavy “holy” book, ritually desecrating the content I remove, making a box from some of the pages either using glue (like this) or making it from papier-mâché, with the removed pages mixed with relevant substances, so it becomes like a small closet, with the cover over-written with the sigil of the beastie it’s devoted to made from some kind of appropriately offensive mixture of pigments and modelling clay.

Small magnetic clasp to hold it shut, some kind of legs to prop it so it stands upright, lovely.

Going back to all the Abrahamic religions, as well as Atenism, the desecration of the shrines and idols of “the enemy” was a key rite, and books, the spreading of ideas, are how some religions propagate their stuff, so it’s probably magickally relevant - also I did get very good results, better than I expected in fact, using the “reversed and darkened afrin” from one of Ford’s books, and then also from doing various related stuff.

After my current angelic work, I’m thinking of making this my summer crafts project, it’ll take a while if I do it properly, I also have it in mind to mix ashes from some burnt pages (the most significant ones) into black wax and make a perverse version of Dee’s beeswax disk, with “satanic” (for want of a better word) symbols and sigils upon it…

But I won’t be doing this for a while, because I’m all full of angelic love and glory and wanting to be helpful, so I thought I’d share the idea for anyone interested! :slight_smile:

Anyone got any thoughts or any relevant experiences?

(Erm, aside from “Do a reading first” of course!!)

[/quote]