Demons of Magic - Practice Discussion

I absolutely loved DoM. I love the way it’s set up, I love the rituals, I just love it. I would recommend finishing the book. My advice? If you don’t want to work with angels then this probably isn’t the book for you. I have had excellent results. I also don’t follow the rituals step by step as I feel that’s mundane and robotic. You gotta make the magic personal. Tweak the ritual to your liking. You can always call upon the demons by simply visualizing and meditating on their Sigil, but they are very powerful beings and if they are not constrained there is a chance they will destroy your life (IMO). Not only do the angels in DoM add energy to the ritual but they really do make sure the demon in question doesn’t get too crazy. I hope I helped somewhat.

4 Likes

well i have been calling demons and working with trust me i know… and my life rn is different. from happiness to sadness in 3 months. everything changed in my life.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s because you worked with demons without constraining them or it doesn’t actually mean your happiness turned into sadness just because you’ve worked with demons. Life itself has its upside downs…I’ve been through worst and the best in my life. There can be multiple reasons, maybe you didn’t use a proper protection while starting on this path or it can be a tests from them etc.

2 Likes

Commanding the demons is an important part of this system. They want to teach you to be a leader, and being a leader means having to tell other people what to do. It’s up to you whether you force and bully the demons or treat them with respect, just like with any individual that you meet or work with.

You can think of the angels as the “other side of the coin.” The angel associated with Belial is Chavuel, and so by calling Chavuel to be present when evoking Belial you gain access to the full spectrum of Belial’s power (in this system of Goetia).

Personally, I am of the view that the demons do not need to be constrained and controlled by angels, but I understand that there are people with personalities different from mine who benefit from having their demons reigned in by their angels. Different approaches work best for different people, and you may find that this way of doing it clicks very well for you. There’s no way to know unless you give it a shot. Even though this is no longer my preferred way to work, it did work well for me when I was working this system, and I am glad that I spent some time with the Goetia.

The Core Ritual is also the most underrated part of the book imo.

9 Likes

thank you both @shinri @Gwydion22 for your replies

2 Likes

How are you contacting the demons now? if you don’t mind me asking

3 Likes

I am totally new to working with demons and it took a long time for me to get this point. I was raised in a Catholic household and even though I have been an atheist for the past 20 years, there are still vestiges of Catholicism I subconsciously carry with me.

So far, I like this system. It feels “safe” to noobs like me who are atheists or whatever, but still have that notion of heaven/hell/satan/Godhead that’s been so hard to let go. DoM feels like training wheels, and training wheels help you find balance and stability in a safe way. As I progress, maybe will remove the training wheels or maybe I won’t. Who knows? I take it day by day. I am open to it though.

If I may ask, how did you reach a point where you felt safe or ready to move outside to the DoM system? Which kind of personalities do you think need angels when working with demons? You don’t have to answer if this is too personal or OT. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Bizarre @Sanguine I started practicing from Lucifer and the Hidden Demons when the book was released, and worked with DoM before then (I’m doing an Enochian pathworking now, journal here). DoM is definitely safe, but I would say it is far from being mere training wheels. The magick is workable for beginners, though I’m sure many find the long list of demons and powers to be confusing at first, but it is something that you could practice and benefit from your entire life. As Winterfield says, the Goetia would not remain so popular if they were ineffective.

I was also raised Catholic, and became an atheist sometime in early high school (I asked for a sign, you had your chance). I later got into meditation, which was my gateway drug into the idea that Enlightenment is an attainable state, and eventually I found magick through a relatively well-known Western Buddhist writer (he treats it like an amusing toy, I’m guessing he’s jealous of vajrayana’s speed and power).

My upbringing does influence my view of magick, but the more I’ve worked with magick the more I’ve sorted out what was just easily-digestible crap used to control the masses and what hinted at experienced magickal reality. Working with Lucifer for a couple years has helped me “reset” my views and drop the bullshit, as has experiencing for myself that angels, however beautiful, aren’t exactly white fluffy bunnies.

If your personal worldview or cosmology or whatever you want to call it is based in the Western tradition of angels and demons (such as mine), I honestly think that working with both is a good idea. I mostly work with demons since I like their energy and how they get stuff done, but I think it’s valuable to explore and experience both the heavenly and demonic realms, regardless of where you prefer to be most of the time.

7 Likes

What I have done with that book is go through and work out which demons I want to work with, then I took screenshots of the page on kindle on a pc resizing so that I have all the info that I can print on one page in a landscape format. Then I get my handwritten notes separately on however many pages it takes and keep that next to me, but main thing is that the info for the ritual for that specific demon is on one single sheet. On that sheet I number my steps of what to do in what order so that it corresponds with the handwritten notes. That way your not relying on the artificial screen which can mess up your concentration and you can have the candle for the right mood.
That book takes lots of reading and practice to get it right. I think I did at least 10 rituals over time before it felt natural. There are lots of steps to follow, that’s the downside.

2 Likes

It’s okay to practice the ritual itself several times to go through the steps, without having the intention to summon the demon.

In fact I think someone on the forum wrote about how they practiced the steps without doing the ritual for real and manifested what they wanted.

2 Likes

Maybe energy work is more your thing if you like using your own skills?

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. It is. However, I’m a glutton for knowledge and experience so I had to test that out. Like trying on shoes. It is what it is.

3 Likes

Of course. The only way to know what you like is to try things out and sometimes you have to learn a whole bunch of material to only use a little bit of it.

1 Like

Yep. Like I said; Like trying on shoes. :+1:t5:

1 Like

Thank you for the tips! :slight_smile:

I do write up a page for the demon I am working with. I write out the “coded” spelling of the demon’s name, the Shem angel, the evocation keys, the invocation psalm and the calling of the angels and the demon itself. My printer is on the fritz, so I can’t print out sigils, but I know prevent my device from going to sleep when I’m performing the ritual. I did do a few dry runs and I’ve become more confident now–not 100%, but I feel a lot less anxious now.

Thank you again.

3 Likes

This morning I made my first attempt at ritual number 2.

There is someone in my life who is keeping a large secret from me, so I contacted Vassago. I am not sure I made contact. After getting to the point where you say, “[insert demon’s name here], know me,” I did have to chant his name a bit more. I kind of felt he was there, so I made my statement in the past tense (in my head). I got impressions of things. For example, I got a thought of a month, because this figured into my statement. Then I asked him yes/no questions. When the answer was “yes,” I felt this “pressure” where my left year “meets” my skull, if this makes sense. When I’d gotten the basics of the what I was looking for, I no longer felt any pressure, regardless of what I asked. I figured he had left, so I promised him a glass of Prosecco–which I will enjoy this weekend for him.

I went into this with no expectations and I honestly don’t know if this was just my mind playing tricks on me. But it’s weird I felt it in my left ear. The very first 11 day ritual I did out of The 72 Angels of Magick, I felt Shahahiah say into my right ear, “I am here,” while I was waiting for him to show up to start my petition to him.

5 Likes

That’s really awesome. I would take it as a definite sign. You will get contact in your own unique way so I would take that as if he contacted you.

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement. :slight_smile:

This morning, I happened to watch a YouTube video of a man who was walking though the Master Curse from Magickal Attack and he said he feels a demon’s presence in the same place, so I took that as a sign that Vassago was there. It might not been the strongest connection, but it was there.

1 Like

You def made contact.
Sometimes it’s alarmingly obvious sometimes it seems like a conversation with your own inner voice.
Give them a personality and really go.

1 Like

I hope it is ok to post this here. If not, I can delete. :slight_smile:

This morning I did the first ritual petitioning Buer. I have lived with depression for as long as I can remember. I am on meds, I work out 6 days a week, eat clean and drink very little. I still feel blah. Not despondent, but more dysthymic, I guess. I kind of feel like I am existing, rather than living. When it came time to look the demon’s sigil and think the demon’s name, I got some pressure again in my left ear. I took that to mean Buer was present, or at least aware of me.

Anyway, I said the license to depart, put my equipment away and rolled out my yoga mat. As I started my practice, I realized that pressure never let up in my left ear. I just assumed Buer was still hanging out for a bit. Maybe he likes yoga? :wink: Maybe he was trying to see what a day in my life is like to determine how to help? I don’t know. Anyway, I didn’t feel creeped out, like I was being stalked, just an awareness of a presence. By the time I got to shavasana, the pressure was gone.