Demon Apep from Egypt, any experience to share?

Does anyone have any experience with the demon Apep from Ancient Egypt?

Is he chill, or evil?

@anon48079295 do you have any input maybe?

He’s not a demon he’s a primordial entity, often seen as the brother of Ra.

2 Likes

Ahhh Brother of Ra, and they had a spat I saw in mythology, did you ever meet him? Is he ok?

I’ve met him yes he’s okay, blunt but a nice guy, older than Ra as Ra embodies the sun while Apep embodies the void.

2 Likes

Is he in good terms with Ra?

He is the supreme ruler of nothingness, a face of the Lord of darkness. A dragon of devouring darkness.

2 Likes

In my explorations, it’s the one being/cosmic force which an entire civilisation (that was stable for twice as long as Christianity) was united in avoiding, consistantly, once it was conceptualised (see below) - and that Apep is the personification or guiding intelligence behind the the forces of entropy, nullification, decay, etc.

But edgelords gonna edge, so now he’s snakey bae and can make your wildest dreams come true, because Current Year™ people display a bigoted raw contempt towards cultures the past that they’d never dream of showing towards a contemporary culture, no matter what .

(Inb4 “priests of the past said the really powerful stuff was evil so they could control sheeple, yo” - yeah, that was Set, the chaotic storm god who was featured in Pharoah’s names and yet also widely considered evil with folk charms and spells to ward him off. Set’s the forest fire, the roaring storm, chaos incarnate, the really dangerous stuff - Apep is the spiritual equivalent of leachate, trying to decay everything it touches.)

This seems to fit better (Law of Polarity etc):

The few descriptions of Apep’s origin in myth usually demonstrate that it was born after Ra, usually from his umbilical cord. Combined with its absence from Egyptian creation myths, this has been interpreted as suggesting that Apep was not a primordial force in Egyptian theology, but a consequence of Ra’s birth. This suggests that evil in Egyptian theology is the consequence of an individual’s own struggles against non-existence.[5]

Source: Apep - Wikipedia (my emphasis)

8 Likes

He has no masks right?

Apep isn’t really tied to darkness (outside of lhpers) he’s void or its aspect of uncreation just as Ra was creation. But no he has no masks, atleast not any well known ones.

2 Likes

He’s technically dead. But so is Gugulanna, Tiamat, Ymir…

Lol I don’t think he can die, he’s a god,

Gods can die but Apep story is he constantly returns to fight Ra as he journeys through the Duat.