Daylight savings time

So how does one compensate for daylight savings time when planning a ritual on planetary hours?

2 Likes

Just use non daylight savings time. Daylight savings time the sun is overhead at 1pm when if it was normal time it would be 12. Daylight savings is a human construct that only began in the 1900s so just think about what time it would be if you hadn’t changed your clocks

5 Likes

Right, but the conundrum is which did they do first? Did they set the clocks forwards first, or back? I tried to look it up and came up with nothing. This is the first time it ever actually occurred to me, because I never did a rite on savings time days :wink:

In other words, is it correct to assume to work on the timeline before savings time, or does the setting of the clock ahead one hour actually bring us back to the correct time?

Actually I am over thinking this. It may be the first time it occurred to me, but it never stopped a working from producing a result before. Which raises a whole different conversation, lol.

Planetary hours can range anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes so, from my understanding, the only thing that is important is that the ritual start in the appropriate hour. It doesn’t matter if the ritual goes longer than the prescribed hour though.

1 Like

Look at the sun is the easiest way. If it is directly overhead at midday you’re good. Daylight savings was first thought of by Ben Franklin so if you think of it that way, if you never had daylight savings invented what would be your time?

2 Likes

You don’t need to compensate. Planetary hours are calculated from sunrise on the day in question, to sunrise the following day, not from a specific point on a clock.

4 Likes

Im not an expert but I believe this is correct. Download one of the apps man. I use s great one that leaves the planetary symbol at the top of my phone at all times. Its so helpful. Its called planetary times. Lol

1 Like

You know what, guys? This entire conversation has changed my perspective on planetary hours. I am going to still use them if convenient, but I definitely will not be going out of my way to do so.

Consider the following: For years I have been using the clock, not the sun, because the overwhelming majority of my workings are done at night. I have never taken into account daylight savings time before last night. My rituals still work. Not 100% of the time, but I do get results fairly consistently.

So, maybe the planetary hours do not mean anything except in your head. Maybe I am just lucky. I can say that I am literally not going to lose anymore sleep planning a rite around them, though.

I propose the following experiment to any who wish to test this theory. Do a series of workings that address the same goal, or at least the same general type of goal. Keep as many controls as possible, and do one on the proper planetary hour, one at a random time, and one intentionally during the wrong planetary hour. Then measure the results.

Let’s put this planetary hour business to the test once and for all and see if we can save ourselves some trouble, yes?

1 Like

I encourage experiment. My personal experience was that not using them was fine, but I went the opposite route and began to incorporate to see and I noticed more spells were working and faster acting. But yea maybe releasing yourself of the chains will free you and gain more power.

1 Like

There’s a couple states in the USA that doesn’t follow day light savings time. Depending on where you live on the planet there’s countries also that don’t follow it. Google it and then add or subtract depending in which time zone you live in.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool, I’ve not seen that one before. I use Lunarium, and there’s also Chronos. Here’s a tut I did a couple of years ago for any who are interested in learning how to calculate them long hand:

3 Likes

I never thought of that. Good point, great idea. Sometimes in America I forget there is an entire world out there to draw from.

1 Like

I hear you. It has its way of reminding you.

1 Like

Planetary hours are one-twelth the period between sunrise and sunset for the day, and then one-twelth between sunset and sunrise for night, as @chef1964 says - the civic clock which shifts around is a convenience for ordinary life and working hours, so any calculation is only mapped from the one-twelth onto it for convenience.

Tl;dr planetary hours relate to planetary motion by the Earth, clock hours are a made up invention so your boss can’t screw you to work from sunrise to sunset in June, which in the UK would be like 5am to 9pm! :scream_cat:

In the UK there’s regular talk about keeping British Summer Time (clocks brought forward by one hour, to give more light in the evenings) and all it would take to change that is a bit of legislation.

I like using planetary hours wherever possible, especially for pre-planned works, but I don’t let them become a limitation.

2 Likes

A note to anyone who was kind enough to listen to my half baked ramblings…the answer to this was obvious. It does not matter what our clock says, sunset and sunrise happen as an event, and the split between each half is still 12 hours. So it does not matter what time it is if you do the maths.

I’m a dumb ass, lol, and I totally recant my earlier statement about no longer caring for planetary hours. I used them tonight, in fact :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Talk about overthinking something I was always doing right…

2 Likes