"Dark" Norse Magick Study Group

Hey guys! I’m creating this Norse study group to focus on and gain knowledge on the magick and esoterica of the people from the north as it applies to those who walk the left Hand Path. I’m in the infant stages of a book and I would love to test out some ideas on you guys and learn with you! This thread is for all things Norse LHP. I’m excited for our journey together! Hail Odhinn!

50 Likes

following…

2 Likes

I don’t know much about it but I want to learn more so I’m in.

2 Likes

Sure, why not

2 Likes

@FraterMagni, You know I’m in. Ironically, I’m working on a book in the same vein, and I’ve noticed that you and I tend to be on the similar paths quite often. PM me if you want to collaborate.

4 Likes

Exciting. Im in.

1 Like

I’ll plunge right in.

1 Like

Very interesting. Will be following how this develops

1 Like

Hail Odin! Count me in.

3 Likes

Hail Odin, glory to you

1 Like

Alright so here’s the first post. This relates to the Light Alfar. Many references in the lore mention the Alfar and the Honored dead interchangeably but the Alfar aren’t the same as the Einherjar, the dead who died in battle and dwell in Valhalla. The Alfar dwell in their own world and they’re considered to be beings of light but also sexuality and mischief. They’ve been compared to the ascended masters of the East, such as the Boddhisatvas, although they aren’t completely similar. In my experience many of the Alfar were once human shamans or sorcerers. To contact them, make offerings to Freyr and ask Him to bring his children into your life. If you wish to go to their dwelling places and meet them naturally, go to the forests and meadows and wild places. The Alfar are associated with the rune Dagaz.

16 Likes

Technically speaking, working with the Alfar is an act of necromancy, but without all of the death energy. Their energy is very invigorating. They excel at love spells, break up spells (natural tricksters), healing spells, and spells to open your magickal vision. They like offerings of fruit, wine, or fruit juice and they also have a natural fondness for tobacco. If you blöt to the gods, it’s customary to offer something to the gods in the name of the Alfar, because they want to give offerings to gods as well. The Alfar also share much in common with the Wights, of spirits of nature and the land.

12 Likes

I will admit, I’ve never gotten this impression. Can you go into more detail about what brought you to this conclusion?

3 Likes

It’s not like Dante Abiel necromancy, but technically they are the spirits of our ancestors. But unlike in modern necromancy, I wouldn’t advise bossing an Alf around. All work with ancestors is an act of necromancy.

11 Likes

I agree with this ! Also if you want to work with your ancestors and your blood ancestry Mengloth is also a good option as well :slight_smile:

I can’t quite commit to working with the Norse right now, I’ve worked with them on and off for years but if I do have the leeway to do so I would love to :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I only know of the runes of furthark. I would like to learn more, but I want something with structure, not just what feels right

1 Like

As Asbjörn has said, there isn’t any dogma at all. Each family or household worshipped and worked with the gods differently. The LHP can provide some structure for those that want it.

5 Likes

Alright guys, time for post number two. This post will be about Norse mystery cults. First, let’s ask, what is a mystery cult? Well, a mystery cult is a group of practitioners of a religion that work underground in a brotherhood/sisterhood and have secret teachings and often magickal abilities. The most prominent examples spoken about in the scholarly world are that of the Dionysian mystery cults and the cult of Mithras. Not much is known about the ancient Norse mystery cults although many scholars (and pagan magicians) believe that the berserkers (bear shirts) and the Ulfhednar (wolf shirts) were likely ancient Norse Odinic mystery cults. They appear in the lore and most credible scholars know that the ancient warriors existed. They were often known as shamanic warriors who lived on the outside of their villages, in the wilderness. Their lifestyle was almost monastic. The Berserkergang (collective name for all berserkers, wolf and bear shirts alike) were often very feared and respected by their fellow Norse men and women. They would use various rituals and substances to get into states of full on possession, either by the raging spirit of Odin or by the snarling spirit of the bear, the wolf, or the boar. Some practitioners believe that there is a connection between the art of Seidr and that of these warrior monks. The energy used by these sorcerer-warriors was connected to Odin and called wöd which is a combination of divine wisdom and animalistic ecstasy. The berserker state wasn’t just used in combat as artists and poets used (and use) the state to produce poetry and art as the state of an artist is often once of great ecstasy. The reason that I personally believe that Seidr is connected to the berserker state is that Seidr is often translated as “seething” or “boiling” and this sounds very much like the state of berserker rage. It is said that mushrooms and mead were used in berserk rites however there are scholars who acknowledge this fact but doubt that these substances were used all the time as the state can be reached through other ecstatic means such as self flagellation, chanting, hyperventilating, or even self hypnosis or extreme stress. The gods that are associated with the Berserker cult(s?) are Odin, the master of the Ulfhednar and patron of all berserkers who grants the rage and the gnosis that comes with it (Odin’s name in fact means “furious one” or “raging one”), Thor, the master of the bear shirts and giver of furious strength and power, and Freyr, the master of the boar shirts (not as much is known of the boar shirts but I believe they are connected to rites of sex magick or fertility). Freyja, the goddess of Seidr is another deity I believe should be worked with in order to learn of the beast gnosis. And finally, the souls of the animals themselves can be worked with as an individual soul of an animal, an animal over-soul, or as a Fylja or “fetch”. More on this subject later.

12 Likes

I am a little late but count me in, this seems rather interesting.

1 Like

Its great that you mentioned this because I’ve always felt drawn to the idea of accessing this state in both senses that you expressed: combat and ritualistic. When I was pondering it the other day, something having to do with the power of rage mixed with shapeshifting and possession came to mind

6 Likes