I wanted to try out making a pyramid with the same proportions as the Great Pyramid at Giza, to test the alleged healing properties of these specific ratios for myself (the real thing actually has eight sides, something I might try out later).
I found an illustration online showing that the base was 440 cubits across, and (going up the wall, which will be my sheet of card) the height from base to point was 356 cubits.
I translated this, for the sake of simplicity, into 22 centimetres and 17.8 centimetres* which was the most convenient size for A4 card.
And I chose white card, because the original design of the Great Pyramid was clad in stone that would have shone white under the Egyptian sun.
First, I measured 22cm along the longest edge for the base, then 17.8cm up the short side to mark (A) where the apex would go, using a very sharp and hard pencil.
Then, using a set-square to align the ruler, I made another mark (B) 17.8cm up further along the paper.
These are shown in red, and exaggerated width, below.
I placed my ruler level across the two 17.8cm marks and drew a line across, shown in yellow.
Then, I carefully marked the exact position of 11cm along © which would be where the apex of my pyramid’s side would go.
Finally I drew two lines, as shown in blue, to turn my 22cm base & apex into a triangle.
Once I had this marked, I made 3 more.
Then, using sharp scissors, I cut them out, adding in a kind of lip that was about 0.75cm wide to each side (I should have made this slightly wider for stability). I didn’t bother using a ruler for this, but it would have looked neater inside if I had.
Once I had my triangles cut out, I removed the top and bottom sections of each of the added lips so they wouldn’t prevent the pyramid from sitting flat, nor foul the precision of the apex.
I carefully folded the lips over, following the original construction lines which had dented the paper, and then glued the whole thing together with the lips joining it on the inside.
I found that, for added stability, I needed additional strips glued over the joins, I made sure to fold those very acutely before fixing them on to keep the corners nice and sharp.
The edges of the paper I had left over, with an A4 sheet being 21cm across the shorter side, were perfect for this - scaled down, the length of the join is 20.9cm, so that was really neat.
The top has a slight gap, probably due to not having anything holding the 4 planes of paper together, and I’m going to fix that with some white self-adhesive labels soon.
And I used 160gsm card, which is far too flexible, but it was all I had handy.
So far, I’ve used this with some success on a flu-related headache, and also on my dog’s hips, which sometimes get a bit stiff and achey, and it appears to help slightly, but of course I can’t be certain - he seems to like it, anyway.
I’ve also been wearing it as a hat (get that image out your mind right now!) and the first night I did this, I had amazingly vivid dreams, and the next day someone on this forum e-mailed me something that related exactly to the content of the dreams. I can’t be sure the pyramid was behind it, but I’m going to continue playing with it for various things.
If nothing else, making it was a lot of fun!
(* Don’t worry America!, You can safely use the metric system once in a while, without becoming a card-carrying marxist and giving away all your guns.