Count those Cards!

As part of my long term objective of having a beer and burger with my Guardian Angel dude (various factors preclude me from doing the Abramelin Ritual), I need to exercise and strengthen my clair senses which are pretty negligible at the moment.

To this end I have taken a pack of playing cards and will try to guess/fortell what colour the cards will be on a daily basis. As there are 52 cards with 26 black and 26 red I should in theory, be able to guess correctly 50% of the time.

The medium term aim of this is to have 85% success rate i.e. be able to correctly call up to 45 cards. In the long term I want to be able to correctly identify the suit as well with an 85% success rate as well (so correctly call say 38 of the cards). I have no fixed time goal on this but reckon about 2-3 years (ish).

I started this at the beginning of Feb and so far for that month there has been nothing of any statistical significance with the results ranging from 21-30 (not that I was expecting miracles anyway).

I learnt early on that the discarded cards should be placed in 2 piles face downwards with 1 pile of reds and the other black. This is because I lost count of how many of one colour went through and I ended being inadvertently obsessed with one of the colours. If the discarded cards are kept face up they tended to unnecessarily distract me. I’ve also learnt that the colours can run up to about 7 cards in a row.

The playing pack is brand new and will only be used for this experiment. The results are written on a pad in the form of tally marks as I go along and then transcribed into an exercise book “liberated” from work.

Beforehand at the moment I’m doing Eric’s indigo ray candle meditation for 10 mins and then 25 mins of void meditation (i.e. thinking and seeing absolutely nothing) to help things along.

I’ll use this thread a sort of diary and will update as and when.

I’m open to ideas to improve things and if they are any maths wizards who will able to tell me what would be statistically significant I would be obliged. I’m assuming at the moment that consistent results over 31 cards would fit the bill.

Eeek! Now I’ve posted this definitely no shirking now!

Interesting approach, and everyone has a deck or two of cards lying around. Keep us posted. A little Googling would probably give you the margin of error for an experiment like this. Coin tossing, color guessing, etc., are pretty common, and I’m sure there’s an established percentage range that’s considered the mean. Maybe something like 45%-55%?

But IMHO, I think you’re focusing on what’s normal for a group, and you should focus on you. The only thing that matters is where you are % wise, right now, and where you’ll be in a month, two months, etc., from now. So you need to figure out where the mean is for you by averaging out your numbers (you may be doing this already, IDK), then work from there. You’re trying to measure your growth, so you need to find your set point. When you go above that on a consistent basis, that’s statistically significant.

[quote=“chef1964, post:2, topic:4827”]Interesting approach, and everyone has a deck or two of cards lying around. Keep us posted. A little Googling would probably give you the margin of error for an experiment like this. Coin tossing, color guessing, etc., are pretty common, and I’m sure there’s an established percentage range that’s considered the mean. Maybe something like 45%-55%?

But IMHO, I think you’re focusing on what’s normal for a group, and you should focus on you. The only thing that matters is where you are % wise, right now, and where you’ll be in a month, two months, etc., from now. So you need to figure out where the mean is for you by averaging out your numbers (you may be doing this already, IDK), then work from there. You’re trying to measure your growth, so you need to find your set point. When you go above that on a consistent basis, that’s statistically significant.[/quote]

Thanks for that - for Feb I averaged 27.5…