Confessions of a sea witch

Hey guys, so I wanted to share some information about a path that’s becoming very important to me.

It’s something I’ve been interested in ever since I was a little boy, sitting with my grandmother’s while she weaved her long hair and told tales of creatures of the sea who’s very song could drown sailors and call up storms, who’s hair could be used in weather magick, who viewed the past, present and future in a mirror, who’s very beauty brought many a man to his watery grave.

The sea has played an important role in my life and it always will.

I started incorporating little aspects of sea Magick here and there but when I fully delved into it, I can tell you that it’s something to behold.

Not to talk about the spirits of the sea who defy conventional rules and are usually different from any other spirits you’ve worked with.

Sea witchery is something I plan to take seriously from now on and I’ve been getting a nudge towards this area as of recent.

If you guys want to know more about this, I’d love to create a sort of journal entry titled ‘Confessions of a sea witch’ for anyone interested in spiritual practices with the sea and its lore.

I don’t claim to be an expert in this in anyway whatsoever but it would be nice to get some info out there to anyone who’s curious about this.

I would love to hear your opinions and hopefully we can learn from each other and harness the power of this awesome system of Magick.

~Aluriel

9 Likes

Do you know of a place where I could learn more about this?

I could give you links to a few websites to get you going. Most of it is actually an intuitive process, the sea isn’t going to give up its secrets so easily, sometimes you have to dig deep.

I can also recommend some books about the subject, and of course I can answer whatever questions you have to the best of my ability.

~Aluriel

3 Likes

Links would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you

You’re welcome

sea witch Archives - Moody Moons. - this one’s a bit more Wiccan inclined but has some good info on the topic

https://seasorceress.wordpress.com

There are others and I’ll add more links to these but this is all I can remember for now. They’re mostly basics but it’s stuff you’ve got to learn if you want to effect real change by working with the sea and its spirits. You most likely won’t use all of it but it’s useful and no knowledge is wasted anyways.

Majority of the information come from working with the sea spirits themselves. Aegir, Ran and her nine daughters , the sirens and the mermaids ,Aphrodite, Poseidon, amphitrite, Sedna, they all have something to teach you that you might never find anywhere else.

~Aluriel

3 Likes

Check out seawitch.org as well

2 Likes

YES PLEASE! The sea is very significant to one branch of my family, I was brought up with some bits of lore, like crushing eggshells because otherwise witches would use them as boats to steal the souls of sailors and fishermen, or that you never rename a boat (and by extension, anything else - stray cats were just “Cat” or something, rather than rename them), and though my family weren’t conventionally religious, the older generations, grandparents and back, had a custom of singing the hymn “For Those In Peril On The Sea” at Easter, and I think other times but I’ve forgotten the details, anyway it had a special significance, more so than any other hymns.

A lot of this was never written down and sadly got lost forever when that generation passed on, which makes me very sad.

But because of this, I would LOVE to hear anything you have to share, maybe start some new hand-me-down tales! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Salt water is the chaos from which life sprung!

2 Likes

Hail Tiamat, Aspu & Kingu

2 Likes

YESSS!!! Hail tiamat, absu and kingu

2 Likes

Yeah there’s loads of sea related deties. Tiamat, Aspu, K/Ceto-Lamia, Phorcys, Posideon, Thetis, Yemaya ect… Loads of tales to look up.

3 Likes

I’ve been using those big sea shells you can get around here from those packages of scallops or clams. Most people just throw them out, but I have painted the backs on some of them and used them as offering plates for various spirits.

2 Likes