Concerning Ball Lightning as a Phenomenon

Good tidings and wellness to the forum.

I searched on here and there was not much on this topic, it is an extremely curious anomaly and I was wondering different individuals thoughts on the topic.

In a way I see them as potential plasma based organisms. I also see this phenomenon as something being tied to the ancient myths of entities made of smokeless fire. These are just some of my thoughts on the subject and hope to create a constructive dialogue on this little spoken of wonder of the world.

2 Likes

I personally have witnessed this two times in my life time.

Additionally my Father also witnessed it as a child.

1 Like

Yes ball lighting had fascinated me for decades. They finally have a theory on how they can be formed now - my the tip of a lightning stole causing electrons to become exited and create microwaves that get trapped in a plasma bubble (lightning is so hot it turns the air around it into plasma).
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep28263

The being of smokeless fire are the Jinn. I don’t recall any of them being described in a way that related to ball lighting. They’re usually anthropomorphised, like ‘appears as a man with the head, hands and feet of a lion’ or something. But being ‘created from the fire of hot wind’ maybe this is how they’re ‘born’, though I also notice the texts talk of their creation in the past tense, as something done an dusted before man came along, but if they can be created once why not again? I’m just blue-skying though.

I think, if we’re to say ball lightning are entities, doesn’t that imply every lighting stroke is also an entity? As an animist I’m ok with that, but they both have very short lifespans and seeing them as a phenomena of energy makes more sense to me. Energy can be sentient without being relatable to as a being of it’s own. I think the word ‘organism’ given that’s a very biological term is a bit too much of a stretch for me; there’s nothing organic about lighting.

1 Like

Thank you for your perspective @Mulberry I greatly appreciate all introspection on this subject. As plasma based organisms I am kind of beating around the bush as saying fourth dimensional entities presenting themselves in the third dimension, so we are only seeing a part of it.
Also I have even thought about this as the wheel in the sky seen by Ezekiel.

1 Like

Well they have been mistaken for UFOs throughout history, so they say. Especially the long lived ones high up in the stratosphere. There’s sprites as well. All electrical phenomena, maybe rare, but not organised.

Looking at videos of known lightning balls though, unlike UFOs they don’t appear to have the same intelligence, form or direction - they are literally balls of flame drifting about or crashing into things at which point they are instantly grounded and disappear. If that’s an entity projecting into the 3rd dimension more power to them but there’s better ways to do it, and I don’t see what it buys them - that’s a hell of a lot on energy to expend for not a lot of return on the investment

Whereas UFOs are rather more sophisticated, may be colored or blink, change shape and direction, and appear to have motivation, and don’t tend to land.

1 Like