Closed practices?

You can preserve your culture without excluding others purely based on them not being from the same place. That’s all I was getting at.

3 Likes

Of course you can which is why some actually do teach and share, there’s a difference between forcing your way into a cultural practice and appreciating it enough to learn it from the people or the spirits they learned it from/chose to include.

If a person wants to learn the religious aspect of voodoo they would learn from the Loa or Orisha or a priest, hoodoo is different as it’s the folk magick and isn’t closed but the point being you’d learn the ins and outs of voodoo, its history, it’s cultural ties, etc not just go “oh I evoked the loa now I’m a voodoo practitioner”

There are very few closed practices among practices in general, it helps to actually appreciate it. Appreciation = / = appropriation. Something a handful of practitioners need to learn the difference between (not saying you specifically)

4 Likes

I agree with you and I see your point.

1 Like

Closed practices in the name of preserving something out of fear usually backfires on the cultural group doing it (even when the fear is justified).

History shows cultures that exclude knowledge about their culture from others tend to lose out in the end by their culture being lost to the sands of time.

Take the Celts and the Druids . While we can surmise stuff based on what other people wrote about them what do we actually know about them? They left almost nothing behind when their culture died out. We don’t know what the Druids believed, how they worshipped, what language they spoke or anything (same with the Celts but to a lesser degree since we do know modern Celtic is based on the older Celtic language but that’s about it for what we know about them prior to the British Invasion of the Emerald Isle and Scotland).

Yes I know they were helped into becoming lost cultures that’s not my point. My point is the fewer you share with the fewer resources you have to keep it going and the easier it is for it to get lost to the sands of time.

I understand why they do it but at the same time I can’t understand why they don’t see the harm that comes c from doing it in the long I mean it’s not like humanity has no history records. We do and they show that cultures die from being forgotten from not being shared in the long run.

My view, exclusions and closing or freezing people out is detrimental to the group that’s doing it in the long run.

2 Likes

Why are people in Judaism working with demons? Doesn’t that go against their faith?

Sounds like gate keeping or fear

1 Like

It doesn’t, actually. Judaism is full of magick. That’s where the Kabbalah comes from…and dybbuk boxes.

Christians are the ones that are against magick.

3 Likes

I get what they’re saying though. As someone whose met different spirits from around the world - Cultural appreciation is key. My salsa Latin playlist alone is an offering lol. Eat at different restaurants, learn the folklore, donate to different initiatives, enjoy the local music and positive traditions.

1 Like

Oh interesting. The Kabbalah is a gem

1 Like