Caricatures of goetic demons

Hi, who came up with the caricatures or representations of goetic demons, such that a particular demon has three faces one crocodile, one dragon, blah blah? How on earth they were recorded in the first place?

To me a prince of hell should be devilishly handsome instead ugly with a fat nose.

1 Like

Some actually do look like that though, Balam looks like a tree full of hissing heads on stalk-like necks to me, and Bael often appears as a the Toad, Cat, Man image, complete with tarantula/tentacle type legs.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, symmetry is a thing that denotes health in physical beings and probably has no meaning outside our realm.

4 Likes

Do you think a prior knowledge of their physical appearance influences someone the way s/he looks at demons when evoked?

3 Likes

Yes.
I generally only feel and hear them. So I ignore the descriptions for my own benefit. I don’t want to let fear enter my presence.

2 Likes

Possibly - I have some notions why some may appear this way, there;s this whole thing where possible futures/alternate realities can appear very distorted, I can’t really summarise but will link the topic containing this:

4 Likes

For me form seems to change based on mood or message trying to be conveyed. As of yet nobody really takes a regular form. Though they do have associatons that will instantly bring someone to mind if they want attention.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look into the thread but I’m curious how is it possible for someone to provide descriptions for all the available demons? Is it possible for someone to have evoked all of them or new content was added over time by several authors?

Certainly possible, there was a belief for example that the 72 demons named in Ars Goetia were evil aspects of the 72 “Names of God” and that a truly superior magician must evoke and overcome their temptations in order to truly acquire magickal power.

This chap is working towards evoking them all, I do not share his worldview or methods but he’s doing solid work and I recognise the personalities he’s evoking: https://imperialarts.livejournal.com/

4 Likes