Can our belief system block us to gain from magick?

I explain it better: i have catholic background, italian culture is full of assimilated judeochristian values, even on a subconscious level. But i have always felt uncomfortable with that and only in moments of pain or fear i tried to pray or believe in judaic demiurg.
Also, i almost lived my life as an atheist.
I’m discovering esoterism and hermetism only now, and i’m starting to change my worldview according to that.
I’ve tried to perform some rituals and evocations, which mostly derive from judaic magick and “pantheon” such as angels and demons.
Could it be that them don’t working with me is because i actually do not believe in their values?
(nor in their existence oustide me)
Is there any magick system, besides chaos magick of course, which could be good for me?
Something more related with ancient romans/european values and traditions, so something before jodeochristianity, maybe.
Or their system is actually superior?

There are people here who didn’t believe in it yet succeded when they tried. It may not be 100% reliant on belief alone.

1 Like

Not at all. It is best when you can perform magick with joy and wonder, but when I started out, I also had fear and it remained in my heart for a long time. Yet, the Angels I called on fulfilled my requests without issue. Your own feelings at times don’t matter so much, but it is still best to perform the magick with a gentleness.

You could adopt Roman Paganism as a tradition of worship. I would also personally recommend looking into Platonism and Neoplatonism as a system of philosophy.

Also with Hermeticism, stay away from the Kybalion if you want to learn about actual Hermeticism. Rather look into primary sources, such as the Corpus Hermeticum, and spend time contemplating the texts.

1 Like

Hermetism could be an interesting journey for you. But be aware, The Kybalion which is presented as a must learn hermetic text, actually is not. It is new thought. An impressive one for new thought, but it is not hermetic. Corpus Hermeticum and Asclepius, The Emerald Tablet (not the tablets, thats new age hogwash), The Excerpts of Stobaeus, are the meat of it.

No. You are most probably untrained. Thats it.

Dankquanicus probably gave advice better than I can give to you. How far do you want to go back? You can go as back as Proto-Indo-Europan myth and ritual if you wanna put in effort. But I am sure there will be other branches that will take less effort and pain.

1 Like