Can a sigil be burned indoors and discarded outdoors?

I reside in a huge city so burning outdoors could probably get me into some trouble. Does it matter if a sigil is burned indoors while thanking said spirit and then discard the remains?

Or must it burn outdoors in a specific type of way? I’m a little confused on this for when that time comes.

Any recommendations, thanks!

1 Like

As long as it is not being burned too close to a fire alarm or you life in college dorms that prohibit burning things in the room, I see no problem with burning a sigil indoors and pouring the ashes outside. I do the same personally.

6 Likes

For sure you can burn indoors! Spirits know when you are able and unable to do certain things. It is your sincerity, dedication and devotion that matters the most to them. You’re golden!

3 Likes

I always burn my seals indoors (in a fireproof bowl, of course) as that is where I do the majority of my magick. I then give the ashes to the winds out the window.

4 Likes

Yes, fire proof bowl is a must. The smell of melted plastic takes ages to air out of the house, and that is a minor catastrophe in comparison to other things

4 Likes

Oh, and always make sure there is something underneath the bowl if it is made from a material that retains heat, like aluminium.

I, uh…melted a hole in the material of my Universal Circle once, and burned a crescent shape into the hardwood floor beneath it by not having something under the metal bowl in which I dropped my flaming seal.

5 Likes

I’ve made several different types of sigil offerings to the spirits. MY preferred method is to burn and be done with it. Sometimes, Leviathan wants something different that doesn’t involve burning.

Once, he wanted NO sigil, but a coarse sea salt and water offering that was to evaporate outdoors.

Another time, he wanted me to place the bloodied sigil in sea salt water and let that evaporate. Afterwards, he wanted it flushed down a drain to be returned to the sea.

Typically, he’s fine with a burnt offering, but there are times when, for whatever reason, he wanted something different. Point is, burning isn’t the only way, regardless of whether it’s indoors or outdoors.

3 Likes

Yup, I have a nice trivet works well underneath my cauldron ( the thing you put a hot pot ontop of when you set it on your counter to prevent it from burning the surface). I have scorch marks on my altar table reminding me of my lessons in fire safety (especially while burning alcohol to throw sigils into when I was working with Sorath).

3 Likes

Yea the fire alarm is the first to be turned off. As for the fireproof bowl thanks for the tip. I didn’t think of that. I’ll look into one.

2 Likes

My first fireproof bowl was a sauce pot if that helps at all. Just be sure it has a decent bottom and is on a trivet or some sort of surface that is going to take the heat that will take the heat, such as a thick plate.

3 Likes

When I was on a business trip on the East Coast last Winter and it was time for me to make my offerings, I used a combination of getting up early, car doors for cover, and burning sigils in the hotel parking lot to fulfill my obligations.

Could I have delayed them, with agreement from those receiving - Yes. A small sigil with the promised blood burns much faster than a larger one. If you are in doubt, ask those you’re offering to for concessions, if needed.

3 Likes

Was your sauce pot stainless steel? I’m thinking if lighting a match on the sigil or maybe turning on the stove would work.

1 Like

Mine was. I use a lighter or a candle I already have burning personally, as my altar is down the hall from the kitchen (and I have an electric stove). The kitchen does provide more fire safety as you are right by the sink. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

2 Likes

I use a <$3 stainless steel cat food dish I got at Walmart for my burn offerings. I suspend this in a $1 aluminum bread pan I got on the East Coast when I lived there. In other words, I stack the cat dish on the lip of the bread pan. My incense and burnt offerings are juggled in the cat dish. There aren’t any smoke detectors outside where I normally perform my rituals, though.

3 Likes

Seems like stainless steel is best material for this. I looked into a copper burning bowl but I don’t know if it’ll succumb to heat easily. I’ll keep investigating.

1 Like

Yes. Definitely! I once destroyed a countertop because I burned a candle fixed to a cheap plate with nothing underneath it. I had no idea that the off white formica was slowly bubbling up into a nice light brown burnt circle. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Cast iron is also pretty good…

1 Like

I have a mini cast iron cauldron I use and will be getting the hanging tripod soon so it touches nothing. Might be something to consider.

1 Like

This is why I “floated” that cat dish on a cheap-ass aluminum bread pan. Gets super hot, but I don’t have to worry about it, as long as the pan suspends it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the advice. Bookmarked.

1 Like