Boswellia

Does the Boswellia plant itself have any magickal properties, if taken internally.
I am going to try it for arthritis.
I am just wondering if there are multiple things I can use it to do
If there are, I might as well get the full benefit.
I am told Boswellia is the what Frankincense is made out of, so those spiritual properties are pretty well known but I don’t know if it carries over into plant part. (can you tell I don’t know what I am talking about, please help)

Boswellia is the genus. Frankincense is the resin - tears/blood of the tree when wounded. It is healing, though a lot of what we find isnt a pure product, but it can be processed and separated. Boswellic acid is the “prized” healing component, though i have read that it is too heavy to distill into essential oil, so essential oils lack it in significance.

Frankincense is magical - also mildly psychoactive.
The oleoresins are water soluble. Were you gonna just chew on, or make the frankincense water or take a supplement? My experience with frankincense was purely medicinal not magical, but for those i do consume for magical purposes a few ways, such as extolling their virtues, calling the spirit of the plant/tree to aid me in my work, and meditation.

Boswellia have a lot of neat folklore and uses you can google, but i think if you really want to know what a plant can be used for magically is to not see it as an ingredient, but try to connect with the spirit of the plant itself.

2 Likes

And actually I realize I answered but didn’t answer. I am unaware of whether the plant itself carries the same medicinal effects as the resin when taking internally. magical would be something you could learn from the plant itself though, as magical uses of plants can sometimes have different purposes depending on the part you use - leaves, roots, flowers (when applicable), and seed magically, and medicinally, not all parts of the plant have the same chemical compositions so theres that also. I still say meditate with the plant - burn some frankincense, honor it, call to it, and see what it shows you or leads you to intuitively, but also research the biological components, drug interactions, etc before internal use and test for allergy. be safe and smart with all plants, even if theyre not poisons.

3 Likes

What species of Boswelia are you using? They differ a little, but have overarching qualities most common are b. Carterii and b. Sacra, but there is also rivae, freranna, serrata, and neglecta. I’m an aromatherapist and herbalist so I have a lot of information on it.

2 Likes

Agreed. I wouldn’t ingest the resin and essential oils take a lot of knowledge and careful preparation to use internally.

2 Likes

I will say I have actually made use of frankincense water by letting the resin sit in water for a time it becomes cloudy. it actually did help me with a medicinal situation which I’m grateful but dosing is important - i think less is more - after a few days while what i was using it for was alleviated, my skin dried out unbelievably and i hydrate impeccably :scream::rofl: These days i generally break down the resins and infuse them in oils for magical and beautifying purposes.

2 Likes

I infuse resins in oils too. I’m always wary of ingesting essential oils because I had to get special training in it and I know how risky it can be and it should only be used for short periods of time internally.

2 Likes

Definitely proper education is key before ingesting any plan I think it’s so important to understand how the form of extraction works and what constituents it pulls. I personally work mainly with tinctures but would love to perform some alchemical distillations someday. At any rate, dont want to derail. Glad to see a fellow magical practitioner who values what the plants have to offer on here though beyond being ingredients.

2 Likes

I am going to take the extract 500mg and it came from Amazon.com.
(it is a SuperiorLabs.com product, I assume that matters, although I should have been smart enough to ask here first, but pain can make me a little desperate)

So I have to assume this plant was badly abused before it got to me.

I have Frankincense in essential oil, but I did not think that could be consumed. Would it be possible to put a drop of it on my knees. I have a very small bottle of Frankincense and then I have a much bigger 4 ox bottle which is Frankincense in a carrier oil.
If I were to apply it I would use the big/diluted bottle, but would this do anything besides make my knees smell pretty.

1 Like

If you dilute it in carrier oil you can massage it on your knee.

1 Like

Should I dilute it even more than what it is already in the big 4 oz bottle of Frankincense. I can dilute it more, I could just put a couple drops of almond oil or something in my hand, then add the Frankincense and rub the hands together and put it on my knee.
I don’t really care if I use a lot or a little as long as it helps and doesn’t attract the attention of my co-workers. (although I like the smell of Frankincense), they might not.

1 Like

Yah a couple drops with sweet almond oil should be fine. Frankincense is pretty safe without a lot of safety precautions. Though it should be avoided with sensitive skin.

1 Like