Bind runes

A while ago I came across a blog which was dated back a few years,
and now has been eliminated. Unfortunately, I didn’t copy the
blog concerning creating a Bind rune. I realize there are many
sites that discuss them, but this Rune maker was once associated
with the Rune Guild and doubled some of the Runes and used
numbers to equate the Runes which seemed to be a learned system.
Is anyone familiar with this system?

The original website was called Black Thorns Bushcraft Blog. As previously
mentioned he has deleted his early blogs.

I have been getting into Galdr (rune magic) and bind runes are ridiculously powerful. Based on my one experience with them, I was surprised on how quickly it worked. Based on what I hear from others, well I may have found my new favorite type of sorcery :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I can’t point you to the direction of the blog but…
Two good books are “Taking up the Runes” and “Uthark: the nightside of the tree”

Also look up “All things Futhark” on YouTube, he gives a good base for runes and bind runes. However the rest will be up to you and your personal gnosis.

I have even heard that the runes are so powerful that even attempting to use them in divination without proper understanding of them can create ‘accidental bindings’, i.e. when you try to view a situation with them, your viewing just might have caused the situation you see in the first place!

I’m not enough of an expert to say whether it is this extreme or not, but I have found that the runes are extremely potent and hold great mysteries to be uncovered. They are definitely not just quaint symbols for the historic-minded admirer.

And not to divert this topic too far off course, but what particular emphasis with the runes does Galdr take? I could be far wrong, but am I to understand from some forgotten source that it takes the form of empowered singing of some sort? Or is that something completely different?

From my understanding, and I am not the authority by any means, Galdr is anywork that IS done with runes. Divination, spellcraft, soul travel, evocation (yup they have spirits in them) is all a part of Galdr.

And you are right, the key is to intone or sing to the runes.

WIth my limited experience working with the Runes, I was also astonished
how quickly a rite done several months ago worked. It was so shocked
that I tried it again several time and had no results. I did no singing.
I have heard this happen with others as well, the rite works once but doesn’t
work after the first attempt. I have some ideas as to why this happens
but I can’t prove my theory.
In reading many of the works by Rune authors I find that the magic they
describe is based on magic that has roots in other types of magic. This
turns me off. I read Stephen Flowers dissertation that he wrote at
Columbia and he says there is really no written record of magic except
for some of the bind rune relics on objects.

Same thing I came up with when researching the runes. All the modern rune magic I’m aware of is based on fairly recent research and experimentation. I think that is fine. We all have to do our own work anyway.

[quote=“Claidheam, post:3, topic:2471”]I have even heard that the runes are so powerful that even attempting to use them in divination without proper understanding of them can create ‘accidental bindings’, i.e. when you try to view a situation with them, your viewing just might have caused the situation you see in the first place!

I’m not enough of an expert to say whether it is this extreme or not, but I have found that the runes are extremely potent and hold great mysteries to be uncovered. They are definitely not just quaint symbols for the historic-minded admirer.

And not to divert this topic too far off course, but what particular emphasis with the runes does Galdr take? I could be far wrong, but am I to understand from some forgotten source that it takes the form of empowered singing of some sort? Or is that something completely different?[/quote]

As far as causing the event itself that could be argued of any divination system. When one is made aware of the situation do they subconsciously give the reading permission to manifest in their life? I like to use the Runes for divination but also always like to see what I need to be aware of to get through the situation as easily as possible.

Galdr is an intonement, a lot like vibrating words of power used in other systems. One “sings” the incantation of the appropriate rune with the intent of the spell being the focus. As Orismen said the term has come to mean rune magick but the word has ties to another word meaning “To Crow” so its often looked at as vocal rune magick. Some runes are more dangerous to use in this fashion like Uruz or Thursiaz as they are reactive or have a lot of potential energy on tap. You need to understand the rune and keep focus on what you intend to happen.

It’s very interesting to hear Orismen mention runes in the context of soul travel. This brings to mind the myths where the runes are discovered by Odin hanging in the branches of Yggrasil, the world tree whose fruits are some worlds and whose roots reach into others. How these were discovered when Odin was “dead”, out of his body after piercing himself, giving a deafening shriek, and passing temporarily out of the world of the living.

I’m not sure right now what conclusions I or others here will eventually draw from those thoughts, but I do feel pretty strongly that it is a riddle with a reward, as the Germanic and also Celtic cultures could be frustratingly fond of.

Also I totally cringed involuntarily on typing ‘Celtic’, entirely because of Wiccans. Time to go re-affirm my life, lol.

The Runes can be used as Astral Doorways (some runes have multiple uses here Algiz which in the Upright Masculine form represents Bifrost Bridge and can be used to access the higher worlds of Yggdrasil and when in the upside down feminine form for accessing the lower worlds and Hel), they can also be used to aid soul travel.

Definitely agree about the riddle with a reward.

Other books you might consider:

Helrunar (Jan Fries)
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Helrunar-manual-magick-Jan-Fries/dp/1869928903/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391691187&sr=8-1&keywords=helrunar]http://www.amazon.com/Helrunar-manual-magick-Jan-Fries/dp/1869928903/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391691187&sr=8-1&keywords=helrunar[/url]

Runes (Freya Aswynn)

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Runes-Freya-Aswynn/dp/0722538839/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1391691253&sr=8-6&keywords=runes+freya+aswynn]http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Runes-Freya-Aswynn/dp/0722538839/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1391691253&sr=8-6&keywords=runes+freya+aswynn[/url]

Futhark (Edred Thorsson)
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Babys-First-Book-Runes-Futhark/dp/1937571009/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391691318&sr=1-4&keywords=futhark]http://www.amazon.com/Babys-First-Book-Runes-Futhark/dp/1937571009/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391691318&sr=1-4&keywords=futhark[/url]