Beliel, annoying voice

That’s what it means in Hebrew, yes.

The translation of Hebrew names all depend on what characters are being used.

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s a Hebrew name so it can’t be pronounced Buh-lie-ahl. The transliterated “i” should be said like “ee”. So it’s correct to say “Bay-lee-ahl”. Emphasis is usually stressed on the last syllable.

3 Likes

So Al means worth?

The Greek Septuagint translates “Belial” as “lawlessness” but it commonly means, in its current form, “without worth” or “never to rise”. Some modern scholarship have defined it more euphemistically as “lawless one”. Just really depends on what your position is on whether you side with theories that it’s a descriptive title or if you side with the idea that ancient Israel was trying to erase theophoric names that were foreign. As with most names believed to be associated with Ba’alim (Ba’el-type gods) their names have been obscured and desecrated. So for example, like take בעל (Ba’al) was originally Ba’el. And so using the knowledge of what was common practice among the Israelite scribes concerning foreign theophoric names, some have postulated that Belial was possibly spelled Beli’el. So no, על (-al) doesn’t always equal אל (-el) but it definitely can be a substitute when we’re talking about obstructing honor from foreign deities.

5 Likes

Thank you.

I always thought it was Beliel which I thought was “with out god” later adapted to “without master” in meaning.
Seeing as God being a master over mortals.
God is way beyond that in my opinion.
I realize the counter active philosophy here as I clearly believe in a god/source/infinite (whatever you want to call it).

2 Likes

Why bother telling him? Its not a marriage where you may need to - just guessing here. (Im still out of wack from Dr’s taking so much blood yesterday) so my advice is merely subjective and well if he called you dr strange then perhaps he will nev understand ??

Lady Eva
Well .oops i was pronouncing very Darwin girl accent of " bee - lie - all"
So that’s a wrong pronunciation?

Because accents will always be a thing, and the majority of our mother tongues aren’t the same as the language of origin for the spirit’s name, most don’t care. If it for some reason bothers them, they will generally let you know. If Belial is getting up on you about it and it’s not an annoying random or over eager spirit guide. It might be a way to test boundaries.

For myself, I hold a personal rule of “it better be very important to wake me up.” Otherwise they can seed my dream or come to me in meditation. I have excellent dream recall so this works well for me. It took a while to get there though. I was also frequently woken up when I first started, both intentionally and do to the energy shifts in the room or around my body.

6 Likes

Heres something to think on. If you go by these other descriptions such as what the hebrews wrote then you are only practicing their magick. Take time to think aboug why his name is called Belial and then instead vibrage his name with the right intention based on your own findings. I would tell you except that would defeat the purpose of thinking for yourself which is an important process of practicing magick.

Another thing, generally going by religious writings of demons is generally disrespectful. So if you take that route the disrespect will be mirrored back in your results.

4 Likes

I don’t think Belial minds any pronunciation of his name.

There is an old thread on this forum where someone described their experience with the great Belial, whom he called “Belly-Aisle,” and said that the mighty king got a good laugh out of it. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

It’s a serious enough relationship that it could very well potentially become a marriage. I think eventually it’ll have to come out in order for me to be able to keep up on doing rituals regularly, though they’re very private for me so I still prefer to do them alone. I want someone to watch me do rituals like I want someone watching me on the toilet. Unless of course they’re involved in that ritual, that’s different.

I don’t think that he was saying it to be a dick or anything. He’s always been really great at being supportive in my endeavors. I just think it’s…a lot for him to wrap his brain around. He belives me though. He’s seen enough for himself that he wasn’t skeptical.

2 Likes

I thought it was “bel-eel” but from people’s evocation videos, I’m apparently wrong.

I don’t feel confident saying either way, I just shared what he told me - try it and see maybe?

This is why, vowel sounds change over time, lookup some Chaucer read in the original on YouTube to see how that’s happened just with English:

4 Likes

Correct. The pronunciation doesn’t necessarily matter (unless the entity has a preference). However, we are talking about a specific language with specific sounds. And since Belial is a Hebrew word, I’ve opted to pronounce it the way it was intended to sound like. But again, the Buh-LIE-ahl and Beh-LEE-ahl pronunciations have had wide use equally so they both will summon the correct spirit. I think most spirits at that level, such as Belial, aren’t petty and so if the name isn’t 100% there’s not going to be an issue. With me, it’s just another way to show engagement and respect for the spirits. I wouldn’t fall on my sword for pronouciations at any rate.

3 Likes

i got the same name repetition in my head, first time it made me dizzy, now let’s say i get the joke and play along. It kept repeating various way of saying Belial, it was very clear only during key moments, like telling me i’m where i was supposed to be.
Belial also made me write the Enn a few times till he was happy with my handwriting.

I wanted make a correction to my own pronunciation of Belial. While in English I may have been correct, I rechecked the actual Hebrew text. Totally missed some key diacritical marks.

The first to address is that in some parts of the Hebrew Bible the letter Bet doesn’t have dagesh so it would be pronounced according to the Masoretic tradition as a “V” sound. However, when used as a name and transliterated into Greek the “B” is apparently the correct sound to make.

Second, the sheva place under the Bet could be pronounced together with the Lamed as “Blee” but that pronunciation smacks of modern Hebrew. So I’ll still stand by my pronunciation “Beh” without created a diphthong.

Third, and this is key, the dagesh chazak places “within” the letter Yod and the patach both change the way one understands the pronunciation. The dagesh chazak acts as an emphasis and the patach adds an “Ah” sound. So it would be “Ya”. Then last syllable (Ayin-Lamed w/ another patach under Ayin). It is pronounced “ahl” but the letter Ayin is a guttural and makes use a of glottal stop which is virtually identical to the pronunciation in Arabic. Just listen to the Arabic “Ayin” and you’ll hear what I mean. Most modern Hebrew teaches don’t even teach glottal stops or at least act this is an outmoded thing.

The conclusion according to actual Hebrew text is Be’liya’al (beh-lee-yah-ahl).

1 Like

“Without a Master”
“Without God”

For some reason. I find that hard to get out lol. I’ve saying beh- Lyle for… idk what reason.

I wasn’t too far off after all then. Cool.

Yeah, no worries. He knows what you mean. The “bee-lyle” pronunciation is common and is based off of the New Testament understanding. Admittedly, it’s awkward. I was used to saying “beh-lee-ahl”.

1 Like