Being a (new) magician in a shared residence

Question,

If a new mage lives in a shared residence with some who may not only agree with magic, but may be hostile towards it in their (owned) residence, how to do circles and hide circles?

Imagine:
You live in a residence with two other people who are both Christian, one less devout than the other but both frown upon scorcery/occult in general. A circle is needed for work, and with your limited dabbler supplies collected, you have chalk and a knife. There is a garage, a shed, a basement, and the rest of the house. The garage is used sometimes, the shed is rarely used. The shed is 2x5, the garage is 10x15. The shed has no cement floor, but wood; the garage is one that has a cement floor. The backyard extends far away from the house, and most likely candles would not be noticed (but the wind may blow them out). So, you can either take chances on chalking circles, or digging a circle in the wood or yard. You may be able to chalk the wood. However the shed is most likely far too small.

How to handle? Become a nightime crop circler, or chalk and spray the garage area (or basement)?

Thanks,

Fuego

Also,

The friend I am crashing at is the more devout one and has been doing witchcraft before she found her new path. Her young kids dont live with her now, but I am crashing in their room. Therefore, I would not use that room for any of my work out of respect for the three of them as well as the other roommate.
Also, four cats are with us, one of which is mine (and she is territorial and a bit high strung, often getting in fights with the other three). I have read that they are receptive to magick, and I dont want to force them to be familiars out of my love and respect for them.

Should it be done in the great outdoors under the cover of night so as not to step on any physical toes other than mine?

Thanks,

Fuego

I use a hulahoop that was charged during a secret ritual as my circle.

Draw a circle on fabric and use that. You don’t even need a triangle of manifestation… since you’ll need incense and solitude I recommend the garage if it is sealed off and if not just secretly use the bedroom, don’t tell them you’re practicing or you risk having angelic wards placed upon you

To expand on what defectron wrote, you might consider a nice “rope” of length long enough to drape around in a circle on the ground (thus can “coil-up” once finished and store away- perhaps in a bag), or perhaps a silk sash likewise lay in a circle (thus might try in the shed- although being caught with candles as if hiding it away could be an awkward reveal). [last the recommend of a canvas or rug- either in a circle shape and/or with markings upon it, as mentioned, and even pictured, in other post-threads on this forum.]
I mention those alts to defectrons not only just for alts, but each has a feeling- one option may work much better for your subj-synth… also could be more conceal-store-able than a rigid hula-hoop…

And in regards to the Shed- size might depend (as defectron’s mention of hula hoop- I’m not sure how large the hoop is, but I think most hula-hoops might fist in 2x2’?) anyway- I’d give a short trial in diff places and see how it feels (even if not a “real” Working… just lay out stuff, move around a bit- “mock it out” as a Theatre tech run… best to do before actual summmoning I’d think).

Last- you may have already seen, and you may specifically be looking for a dramatic space instead- but you might consider the prelim work with Sigils (I think that Evocation in particular depends upon steady Contact with Entity(s) involved prior to Evocation) and contact via Sigil can be done either with only a marked up paper (perhaps with a Square/Seal as Portal to open first, and perhaps with a candle)… and maybe not even that, if you trace-see sigil (best to step into that “other place” -stride into the Xrds (Crossroads) being there and here… Phy-Concrete Evoking then steps from that place Xpanding where you are (so seems to also rely upon- vs it being “mental” as doing that way is very physiological affecting)

As Necromaster said paint a circle onto fabric, a twin sized flat sheet would be plenty. It doesn’t have to be pretty or intricate, many just use a plain circle. Replace the incense with a scrying mirror and practice when everybody else goes to sleep. No marks on the floor, no strange smell or smoke alarms going off.

You can also replace the incense with a fog machine that has something like abremilin oil and/or door opening water mixed in with it.

Or you could use an astral circle and Necro’s DIY fog machine if you want to get stealthy.

As Necromaster said paint a circle onto fabric, a twin sized flat sheet would be plenty. It doesn't have to be pretty or intricate, many just use a plain circle.

You can buy these bedsheets at Target (Tarjhay) for under $20. I know this from personal experience.

M

Cool,

Thanks all – great food for thought and use.

Fuego

Lol, Mode_439! I just got my charcoal bed sheet from Woolworths for 15 bucks and drew the circle in white pencil. Sweet!

I used to fucking LOVE Woolworth’s!!! I think God stopped making those down here in Florida!

However, we have PLENTY o’ Wal-Mart’s and Target (Tarjhay’s).

BTW BALG Forum…yes even I The Black Yogi must shop for bed sheets and other house-hold items at times :slight_smile:

[quote=“DouglasJamesCameronFuego, post:1, topic:1266”]Question,

If a new mage lives in a shared residence with some who may not only agree with magic, but may be hostile towards it in their (owned) residence, how to do circles and hide circles?

Imagine:
You live in a residence with two other people who are both Christian, one less devout than the other but both frown upon scorcery/occult in general. [/quote]

Well…I’m in a VERY similar situation here too! I take it you don’t want to kill your housemates, infect their minds prior to this so they leave everything to you in their wills, and make a Temple out of the house?

If the answer is “no”, I would heed the advice here about being stealth. For me, I do do a LOT of Yoga & meditation, so my house mates already know I’m kinda “off” if you will because they are rather square. With that being said, I ALWAYS do my Working late at night after they all go to bed.

As far as the Evocation Course & Evocations that I’m planning on doing here in the near future…I’m going to use the garage when everyone else is at work during the day. So, it doesn’t hurt to know their schedules.

Also, my housemates are going on vaca for two-weeks in July, so I’ll be doing a LOT of Magick to get the fuck out of here and get MY OWN house!!!

Funny thing, the more I get into my Disciplines, the more I really want to have my own place and designated Temple. This gets very challenging at times.

For me, that’s why the majority of my immediate future workings are centered around money and a home for myself. I really can’t see myself being in such a hyper-state of bliss after working with Dra’talon, Demonic Assassin from the BofA, whilst simultaneously sitting at the breakfast table eating Cheerios while everyone else is talking about the weather!

@ Mode_439*** “I really can’t see myself being in such a hyper-state of bliss after working with Dra’talon, Demonic Assassin from the BofA, whilst simultaneously sitting at the breakfast table eating Cheerios while everyone else is talking about the weather!” ***
– Been there, done that, last month, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch is waayy better than Cheerios :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL Cinnamon Toast Crunch is Bliss.

I had the great pleasure of living with my best friend, his girlfriend, and their 1 year old, all in a studio apartment for 6 months. I made a perimeter of crystals around my bed area, and put them under the blankets to avoid unnecessary questions. After that was set up, for the remainder of my stay there, the entirety of my work was done in the astral. It really taught me the power of the mind, as I had my own astral temple, astral tools, and methods for everything.

Looking back at the results I had, Im thinking that astral work is more potent than any of the evocation stuff Im doing now. Hmm…guess I’ll have to dust out that old astral temple…

cinnamon toast MY ASS!!! Break out the 'ole Coco Pebbles son!!! Chocolate = darkness = the color of my and sinata’s heart…muah…muahhuahhuuuuahahhh…MUHAHHAHAHAHAAHHHHHH…

ok…I’m calm now

LMAO Mode you hit he nail on the head there I used to LOVE coco pebbles. Defectron if you ruin that for me so help me…

On topic, if I was in a living situation where practicing was frowned upon in the home I would either follow TheLotusEater’s suggestion or stick to sigil and candle magic to keep the other people unaware if I were to choose to practice against there wishes. A simple candle and holder or a notepad for sigil “doodling” wouldn’t likely seem out of place. You can even grab some of the old school brass candle holders with the hollow felt bottom and keep sympathetic materials for your work out of sight while working. I actually do that in my home just to keep guests and the wandering fingers of children from getting suspicious or curious.

The choice to practice against the host’s will is ultimately a moral choice so I’ll leave that to the OP to decide.

I have such bad memories of coco-pebbles…