Baphomet and origin

Is Baphomet an actual spirit? It seems like he is represened in several different ways especially in statues. Some as a positive entity, some as a father figure, and some as a demon. Has anyone here ever communicated or tried to with it? What does the forum generaly think of Baphomet?

Eliphas Levi invented it as a symbolic image (not a spirit) in 1854 for his book Dogmas and Rituals of High Magic.
I’m not aware it existed before that, but, it exists now and you can contact it as an entity in it’s own right.

Eliphas created it and other humans built it up further, as they themselves are creator beings and get to do that sort of thing. A lot of entities, including deities, are made this way, in fact most of them imo. That doesn’t make them less real.

The original description is probably a good place to start. If you see add-ons from later mages, I think it’s fair to say you can take them or leave them as you feel guided.

The goat on the frontispiece carries the sign of the pentagram on the forehead, with one point at the top, a symbol of light, his two hands forming the sign of hermetism, the one pointing up to the white moon of Chesed, the other pointing down to the black one of Geburah. This sign expresses the perfect harmony of mercy with justice. His one arm is female, the other male like the ones of the androgyn of Khunrath, the attributes of which we had to unite with those of our goat because he is one and the same symbol. The flame of intelligence shining between his horns is the magic light of the universal balance, the image of the soul elevated above matter, as the flame, whilst being tied to matter, shines above it. The beast’s head expresses the horror of the sinner, whose materially acting, solely responsible part has to bear the punishment exclusively; because the soul is insensitive according to its nature and can only suffer when it materializes. The rod standing instead of genitals symbolizes eternal life, the body covered with scales the water, the semi-circle above it the atmosphere, the feathers following above the volatile. Humanity is represented by the two breasts and the androgyn arms of this sphinx of the occult sciences.

Personally, I’m not drawn to it. It’s basically an analogy, but anthropomorphising it seems to confuse people and obscure the meaning behind all it’s symbolism. I’m also not overly fond of the 19th Century occultist dualistic separation that then requires ‘alchemical marriage’ to bring back union and balance that was never lost to begin with. I find the Taoist Tai Chi Tu a clearer and simpler way to describe how yin and yang are constantly together, inseparable and flowing one to the other, and how they interact.

3 Likes

metaphor of symbiosis, of multiple beings, becoming omnipotence and self-sufficient and timeless, fullfilling desires to experience absolute…

harmony of opposites, perfection, sharing and receiving balancing necesities, male and female union.