Authors Of The Impossible

One of the most brilliant and intriguing books I have read on an occult subject is Authors of the Impossible by Jeffrey Kripal. One of the key themes of the book is how something that is initially fake or unreal can be brought (evoked) or manifested into our physical experience of reality. I’ll let the book speak for itself with a few quotes:

It is almost as if the real needs the fake to appear at all, as if the fact relies on the fiction to manifest itself, only to immediately hide itself again in the confusion of the fantastic hesitation that follows.

Speaking of Russell Targ’s experience as a young stage magician in New York he writes:

He realized he was receiving genuine telepathic information from within the mentalist trick he was performing on stage. The trick was a trick, but it was also, somehow, catalyzing the real deal.

Russell Targ is a physicist and remote viewer.

He translates an idea Frederick Myers was proposing:

The human imagination under very specific conditions can take on extraordinary or supernormal capacities that represent hints of a more highly evolved human nature. In his own more technical terms, such altered states of consciousness were “pre-versions” that represented a tendency to characteristics assumed to lie at a further point of the evolutionary progress of a species that has not yet been reached.

He talks about “techgnostic codes about a level of reality where information is common to all beings” and “a demonic side of man of almost limitless potential”.

He made a documentary about the book. You can watch the first fifteen minutes in this Vimeo link:

[url=https://vimeo.com/27585532]https://vimeo.com/27585532[/url]

It’s very fascinating, especially the first story where the creator/writer of the Planet of the Apes was writing a scene and it actually began unfolding around him in physical reality as he was writing it. Word made flesh.

What you said about the writer of Planet of the Apes, I have heard of this occuring on more than one occasion. Although this is just a TV show, bear with me here, the show Supernatural also speaks of this. The two main characters of the show Sam & Dean, several seasons in realize that their life is also a series of books called “Supernatural”. They are taken back to find that what the author wrote in the book were actual events that had occured in their real life (their real life on the TV show). The author wrote about everything odd and supernatural that they experienced. At first they thought the author was some kind of stalker, spying into their personal lives but later found out the author was predicting the future, and that whatever he wrote in these books, would later happen to Sam & Dean. The author had the power to make anything unfold in their lives, just by writing it down.

What you mentioned with Authors of the Impossible is the same idea of just how powerful our words, written or spoken, can be. It may just be a TV show, but I am inclined to believe that the writer/creator of the show has done some serious studies into the occult, as they mention several very real entities and demons. Not everything in that show is fiction, they do mix in some truth but I believe the writer understands that he cannot unveil all the mysteries of the occult on TV which is why he also mixes in some obvious fiction. Upon searching myself, I have discovered that many people have had experiences with what was intended to be a story or book, actually happening in real life.

The comic book writer Grant Morrison also spoke of this in at a live seminar he did, where he realized when he drew a character based on the image of himself, the bad things that happened to that character in the comic, happened to him in real life, which led him to pursue the occult. He also talked about sigil magick. Not everyone takes Grant seriously, but many of the things he has mentioned, I also later heard Eric mention them as well.

1 Like

[quote=“RavensAscent, post:2, topic:5499”]What you said about the writer of Planet of the Apes, I have heard of this occuring on more than one occasion. Although this is just a TV show, bear with me here, the show Supernatural also speaks of this. The two main characters of the show Sam & Dean, several seasons in realize that their life is also a series of books called “Supernatural”. They are taken back to find that what the author wrote in the book were actual events that had occured in their real life (their real life on the TV show). The author wrote about everything odd and supernatural that they experienced. At first they thought the author was some kind of stalker, spying into their personal lives but later found out the author was predicting the future, and that whatever he wrote in these books, would later happen to Sam & Dean. The author had the power to make anything unfold in their lives, just by writing it down.

What you mentioned with Authors of the Impossible is the same idea of just how powerful our words, written or spoken, can be. It may just be a TV show, but I am inclined to believe that the writer/creator of the show has done some serious studies into the occult, as they mention several very real entities and demons. Not everything in that show is fiction, they do mix in some truth but I believe the writer understands that he cannot unveil all the mysteries of the occult on TV which is why he also mixes in some obvious fiction. Upon searching myself, I have discovered that many people have had experiences with what was intended to be a story or book, actually happening in real life.

The comic book writer Grant Morrison also spoke of this in at a live seminar he did, where he realized when he drew a character based on the image of himself, the bad things that happened to that character in the comic, happened to him in real life, which led him to pursue the occult. He also talked about sigil magick. Not everyone takes Grant seriously, but many of the things he has mentioned, I also later heard Eric mention them as well.[/quote]

I remember those episodes, and its cool that the series are still going on! waiting for the next season.

I also many times have thought while watching movies or playing games etc, that has the authors done actual deep occult research ? interesting thought.