Ars goetia

I started reading the ars goetia and i am confused that it seems to imply forcing the deamons and this has kinda confused me. Please could someone tell me why this? and wouldn’t it be disrespectful to the deamons to want to force them?

1 Like

Some practices believe in enforcing their will on other entities specifically the goetia to get what they want.

1 Like

There’s a lot of information about this question on the forum, just use the search function.

Some people believe it’s very disrespectful while others will tell you it’s the go-to way for them personally. The Ars Goetia was written by Christian authors who wanted to propagate their Abrahamic notion that these are evil spirits who must be constrained in the name of Yehovah in order to do the magician’s will. The problem is that it’s a very extreme form of approaching these entities and generally, it’s not recommended unless you know exactly what you’re doing. The other extreme would be demonolators who basically worship these spirits, or so it is believed. A good middle ground is best if you neither see these beings as something to be terribly fearful and wary of (or as your personal wish granters, which they are NOT), nor as something to bend your knee to. I dare say they respect authority and confidence, but not fake pseudo-authority that stems from a disdainful attitude, or grovelling and ass-kissing, for that matter. They will smell that a mile away and then possibly react accordingly.

4 Likes

I thought demonolaters didn’t worship them in the traditional sense of the word? Everything I read and have been told, they say that they just hold these demons in high regard and will make altars dedicated to them. Which aspect of Demonolatry do you consider to be extreme?

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t think demonolatry is extreme from what I have seen. But some people on this forum seem to think it’s about worshipping demons, and I’ve read a few comments that made it seem like demonolatry is some kind of religion. I personally do not consider myself a demonolator, and the few videos of S. Connelly I’ve seen on YouTube so far didn’t strike me as worship-oriented either, but some comments I’ve read here on the forum made it seem like it’s a religion, which I’m not sure it is.

2 Likes

I think that S. Connolly called it a religion in the Complete Book of Demonolatry actually I would have to go look at it again, but I also never really looked at it like one of worship, and it was stated that they don’t use the term worship in the sense of bending to the demons. I think maybe people just have a hard time letting go of the xtian point of view and end up getting worship-y.

3 Likes

S Connolly says as much herself in her work Daemonolatry Goetia, the the word “daemonolatry” itself literally means “worship of daemons”: on p7

I don’t disagree with most of the approach, but I draw the line at worshhip, which I feel by definition requires the sublimation of personal power to a “greater” being. Otherwise they’d just call it “working with”. Connolly says right before this how self respect is important, and yet in my eyes, worshiping another is directly choosing not to respect yourself.

5 Likes

I got the feeling that demons are really annoyed with being forced. In my personal experience

1 Like

I mean besides what Conolly says, Demonolatry comes from the greek compound word δαιμονολατρία (daemonolatria). Λατρεία literally means worship. So yeah the word itself is pretty self explanatory.
Edit: I just saw that you mention this as well at your comment so I guess my comment is overkill :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

ars goetia grimore are old books written in old old days. Lots of different interpretations out there. Just get “demons of magick” book which kinda update stuff on the 72 demons. they are from group of people who tested and verified magick using the 72 demons of the ars goetia. It uses everyday language and not old language explanation. It’s a better organization of the demons info in my opinion. Explain magick better too. It’s about practical application to change one’s life and not scholar use.

1 Like