Are We Living in 'Pleasantville'?

Hi all,

Please bear with me guys, as I’m about to (yet again) ramble on about the whole issue of other planes of existence, and what relation these have to our physical plane and to us as human beings.

I realize this is something that I post about often- but I simply find it fascinating, and since I’ve got a lot of free time now I’m contemplating it quite a bit.

A few months ago I posed a question to this forum: ‘What is your view on the nature of the material universe?’. I started the thread by explaining that when I first became interested in occult subjects, I came across the Neo-platonic cosmology, which at the time resonated very strongly with me. Being someone who has always been very moved by art and specifically music, I came to the conclusion that art is a sort of gateway to these other ‘higher planes’- a sort of temporary glimpse into the more blissful nature of the planes above the coarser, denser physical. I believed this for quite a few years. Lately though, for various reasons, I have been questioning these views. I decided it’s time to seek out the truth of the matter.

I received quite a few responses in the above-mentioned thread, which gave me a lot to think about. A common belief amongst Balg forum members seems to be that the physical plane is neither ‘evil’ (gnostic thought) or somehow inferior to other realms (Neo-Platonic), but simply neutral- it simply exists- it just is what it is. I have been pondering over this a lot, and in a way I have come to agree, but there is still a part of me that feels that there is more… more to existence than the mundane feelings and experiences we associate with being ‘alive’. The idea that I’m currently toying with is sort of a combination of these two points of view: perhaps our universe is neutral in a sense, but yet at the same time, lesser but only when directly compared to the higher realms? I’m not even sure if that makes any sense, even to myself lol, but the point of this post is to go into more detail about why I feel that there’s ‘something else’, some sort of ‘otherness’ that we occasionally tap into, during altered states of consciousness for example, but which for the most part, lies just beyond our grasp. It’s such a hard concept to express in words, but I’ve recently watched a film that I feel conveys these ideas really well.

As I mentioned above, I’ve really been delving into this subject recently- researching, meditating, and working with Raziel (the archangel of Chokmah- sphere of wisdom) whom I believe may well have some of the answers that I seek. So far we have discussed, in quite a bit of detail, the ‘mechanics’ of the astral plane and how the astral, physical and mental planes interact with each other. I’ve received some absolutely mind-blowing info, which I’ve posted about in a separate thread (that reminds me- I need to update that as I’ve got more really interesting and useful info to share with you guys). I’ve also been doing more research into Gnosticism, which is a dualist philosophy that takes Neo-platonic ideas to the extreme. So, a few weeks ago I was watching a youtube vid that dealt with Luciferian Gnosticism, and the guy recommended some gnostic-themed movies, one of which was the film Pleasantville. This is what I wanted to talk about today…

To give a brief summary: Two teenagers find themselves trapped in a parallel, black and white universe. The name of the town in which they live is Pleasantville, but in a sense Pleasantville is their entire universe as the inhabitants are unaware of anything existing outside of it. As the name suggests, life in this universe is ‘pleasant’, but dull and monotonous, as it lacks emotion, passion, and creativity (sex is not a thing either btw). Slowly the teenagers introduce these elements to the people of the town, and as they start having these new experiences, they become ‘coloured’ (they literally start existing in colour, rather than the usual black and white). These changes cause quite a stir and the town authorities are keen to put a stop to it, however in the end even they succumb to emotion and become ‘coloured’ themselves… In gnostic terms, the two teenagers would be seen as the saviours of the inhabitants of that universe – as they introduce these new experiences to the people who would otherwise only ever know a mechanical, albeit smooth running, existence.

I personally do not believe that we are living in an ‘evil’ universe controlled by a spiteful demiurge- which is essentially what Gnosticism espouses, BUT I feel, very strongly, that there is a whole range of experiences from which we are currently, for the most part, cut off from, only to experience fleetingly through art, music or altered states of awareness. A quote from David Icke comes to mind (and no I’m not particularly a fan- but I think that some of what he says makes sense): ‘ People look through their eyes, and they think “this is the world’. But it isn’t. It’s a tiny, tiny frequency range, within an infinite energy field of infinite frequency ranges.’ From a scientific point of view, this observation is correct when considering the scope of our physical senses; frequencies exist which are beyond our hearing range for example, similarly colours exist which cannot be perceived by our sense of sight. It just somehow makes sense to me that this limited perception would extend beyond just the realm of the five senses, and apply equally to the phenomenon of consciousness itself?

So to put it another way: are we like the citizens of Pleasantville? Existing in a little bubble of very, very limited perception- within a multiverse of endless possibilities and infinitely more blissful experiences? And if so, how do we tap into this ‘otherness’; how do we make this a part of our experience, right here on earth, in the here and now?

!!!

I just comment here to read this later, i just saw this movie couple weeks ago on a philosophy class. But i’m kinda in middle of something atm, i’m sure this post will include something interesting.

Yes, how fascinating that you recently watched Pleasantville… As we watched it as last video on philosophy course 1, and we sort of watched it because of me, in sense that we were first to watch that one jim carrey movie everyone has seen and i said something along the lines “c’mon everyone has seen that, and i can’t bear Jim Carrey”… and asked if we had any other options, and we had pleasantville which was totally new for me, and the others too.

Anyways i will say firstly that, i don’t believe that this universe is “lesser” just like you said that BALG people believe i believe its neutral in a sense that its not lesser or higher compared to other realms, i mean…Compared how? first we should summarize what is it that we are comparing, i guess in this case its feeling and something that we don’t know…
Like the colours in Pleasantville, and i’m sure that in this universe its very possible to be colorblinded -everyone is having such pleasant time eating their bigmacs and coca cola, watching and believing every news they read
picking a sports team to follow and cheer for etc… Never questioning any of their actions, or what is behind it all and could there be something more for them than just born cheer for the yankees eating hotdogs doing work at the factory maybe have children and then die.

There is so much that i don’t even know of yet, or remember… But i wouldn’t say that it makes this universe "lesser"i’d just say that for reason or another the inhabitants are left blinded for many pleasures and powers, but trough angels/demons like two teenagers that got trapped in the pleasantville i guess we can find more colour and passion.

I mean, while watching at the movie at least i thought of them being metaphorical demonic/ angelic entities and the guy who got trapped them inside there was like a god of some major religion.

Can’t comment on David Icke because i have usually been considering him to be genuinely insane, yet that is interesting quotations from him that you share.

I just had a dream last night where my friend told me that “i found the studies of Vlad Tepes that this realm is just a dream, and when we
die we wake up from another place” and i was stomping the ground, are you sure this seems pretty real if this is not real what is? ironically
it was a dream where i was trying to convince someone of its reality :smiley:

After it i woke up paralyzed, tried to contact Odin again and felt the pressure on my head that i did before that one time i heard Thor…
pressure got stronger and stronger, but no voice… like something was blocking me this time, just like the last.

So yeah, i believe we sort of are… At least its only healthy for us to question, so we might find otherworldly colour,passion, and knowledge.

• Surprised no one else has yet answered this, this was a very good post.

To be honest, i get bad vibes - if its not my imagination, from countless of posts in this forum… So i think many here are not even illuminated at all, but something more towards depressed. What i mean most lack a balance, not only here but everywhere in world - i find it hard to find balances at almost anything… Not everything has to be exactly 50/50 balanced, but still balanced - and i obviously don’t claim that i would have perfected balance either.

Well, this is where I’m currently ‘at’ regarding this issue (I’ve had another sort of breakthrough moment a few days ago):

Firstly I just want to state once again, that I am not into shunning the material in any way. I’ve posted about this quite a bit today in tiberius_james thread.

Well atm I’m sort of viewing our universe as being somehow ‘less-evolved’ than other realms, but I don’t mean that with any moral connotations at all. When I say less evolved, I mean that in terms of consciousness. Again I want to make that clear that I don’t mean that any any moral/RHP way- that our world is ‘evil’ or that we as humans have something ‘wrong’ with us.

By evolution of consciousness, i mean that we as humans are conscious to a point- as in we are self aware, and, the way I see it, because we are self aware we naturally want to exact as much enjoyment as possible from natural processes/ basic survival needs. What I mean by that is, for example, we think up fancy recipes to make food and the process of eating as enjoyable as possible, we have sex for enjoyment even though our goal is obv not to reproduce every single time, we wear clothes that flatter us rather than just purely to protect us from the elements etc.

But, when it comes to things that are purely for the sake of ‘feeling good’, I reckon in that respect we are somehow not as evolved as other beings in other realms. I do feel though, that through art, we are somehow tapping into this, and I believe that all art forms and anything creative is a vehicle for further ‘evolution of consciousness’, because art is something that is done purely for it’s own sake, with no underlying ‘survival need’ as it’s basis. I hope that makes sense?

Well this is the big question for me- how exactly do we go about doing this? I had an idea that maybe the way to experience more of these ‘awe-inspiring’ moments is to simply go with the flow and try to be mindful when it does occur. That instead of trying to over analyze we should simply allow it to happen. I guess that the more open we are to these experiences, via the LoA, we would actually draw more of these moments into our lives?

I think analyzing and making/letting our selves experience are both good, and there needs to be balance of both. Through analyze we think of new ways, and through experiences we obviously experience and learn.

But maybe its too deep question for people to want discuss it publicly, i think we just need to seek the spiritual guidance from the two teenage gods (metaphora : D ) and we’ll find the lost colors.

Doing and thinking compiled.

Your theory on art being of higher level substance was good, can’t think of a fast argument against it. Of course i can think one evolutionary purpose, its a way to express and so forth to show your creativity (form of intelligence) to your potential partners and so forth it may guarantee you more mates and so on…

Still, i do believe that you can find special vibrations and passions from the world of art - and some songs or books for an example might be an actual magic in themselves.

Of course these are very evolved ways when compared to the primal stuff, so you might be right. Like some massive pieces of art demand the collaboration of many humans, but of course even a single artist can create masterpieces.

another question would be, is there a limit to what the, in our case, human, mind can experience? for example, there are a thousand colors we can not see; a thousand tones we can not hear.

so if we wanted to expand our horizons, have new experiences, would we, in fact, be able to have them? or are our minds shut off to certain experiences of a spiritual, or what ever you care to call it, nature simply because our minds would be unable to take in that kind of experience due to the biological structure of the brain?

or would our consciousness be able to transcend the physical brain and be able to have these experiences but be unable to assimilate them in to the physical brain once we come back to the physical?

kind of like the way we forget our dreams once we’re awake; we only seem able to experience dreams during a certain state of mind, but when we’re back to our normal waking state, our brains just can’t seem to hold on to the dreams for very long.

I dunno. all’s I know is, life is a strange thing.

[quote=“qwyzl, post:6, topic:6579”]another question would be, is there a limit to what the, in our case, human, mind can experience? for example, there are a thousand colors we can not see; a thousand tones we can not hear.

so if we wanted to expand our horizons, have new experiences, would we, in fact, be able to have them? or are our minds shut off to certain experiences of a spiritual, or what ever you care to call it, nature simply because our minds would be unable to take in that kind of experience due to the biological structure of the brain?

or would our consciousness be able to transcend the physical brain and be able to have these experiences but be unable to assimilate them in to the physical brain once we come back to the physical?

kind of like the way we forget our dreams once we’re awake; we only seem able to experience dreams during a certain state of mind, but when we’re back to our normal waking state, our brains just can’t seem to hold on to the dreams for very long.

I dunno. all’s I know is, life is a strange thing.[/quote]

I think the only way to find out is to believe that our mind can actually experience more than the human brain can in its default, and maybe you can even grow structures on your earthly body - like a speed evolution.

Just like you grow neuropatterns that remember a basic skill by default without you really thinking what you do, just like writing on a laptop or whatever… In this case the experience would be fetched and transferred from the spiritual to physical.

I believe we have these bodies for some reason thought, so that we can manage in this particular form of existence… Otherwise they would be just shackles, but i don’t believe that. So there is indeed purpose for us to be like this, but it doesn’t mean that we would have lost ourselves and be limited permanently or all the time - and who says its not possible to evolve these bodies, well i’m sure many scientifist would actually say that :smiley:

Good questions are, how omnipotent are gods. And why would any god want to form a relationship with us, or just “any” god - i mean if i randomly pick a god and say “hey do this and this” for me, can i really expect it happening without somehow putting my energy into it… So we can create together, and find out together with us men and gods.

From us, and outside us.

Well this is exactly the thing I’m struggling with- how exactly do we go about attaining this? Not much is written about these subjects and it’s not exactly a case of googling it lol. I guess the best way to go about seeking this ‘otherwordly’ knowledge is by communing with spirits. I have started working with Raziel, who is the archangel of Chokmah. Being the ‘Keeper of Secrets’ and ‘Angel of Mysteries’ I believe He may well have the answers. So far the info he’s given me about the mechanics of our universe and the astral plane has been absolutely fascinating. We are yet to talk about these ‘deeper’ issues though as I feel he is building up to it (which is fair enough seeing as it’s quite an intense subject). Also I’m thinking any Promethean-type figures (Lucifer, etc) may be good to approach regarding this subject.

Your theory on art being of higher level substance was good, can't think of a fast argument against it. Of course i can think one evolutionary purpose, its a way to express and so forth to show your creativity (form of intelligence) to your potential partners and so forth it may guarantee you more mates and so on...

That’s a good point- I hadn’t thought about that. Still though, I do believe that art is the most refined of all human endeavors.

Still, i do believe that you can find special vibrations and passions from the world of art - and some songs or books for an example might be an actual magic in themselves.

Yep that’s exactly how I feel about it! I actually quite literally believe that it is of a higher vibration (the way that say fear is of a particularly low vibration).

qwyzl- To answer your question, yes I absolutely believe that it is possible to have these experiences.

Think about other magickal skills such as clairaudience, clairvoyance, astral travel etc. These are beyond the realm of the 5 senses and yet is is entirely possible to master them :slight_smile:

It may take some practice, and it may not be easy, but with perseverance it is achievable.

Yeah, we most probably won’t be truly answered to these questions here, in the school, or at the gym… Denifetly not in a bar :D. So what i’m saying is that these answers and the people who would know deeply of them are hidden, anywhere where people typically go - it would be very rare to find answers that people don’t typically know. ( Of course some of the people might know, but most are silent of their secrets anyways )

Internet is a fast and easy way to share information, but the problem with that is it obviously gets flooded with lots of false information too.

I don’t know much about the vibration of fear, but i know that fear can be healthy too if it saves you from doing something life treathening - but of course unnecessary fear is only destroying yourself. Its a mechanism that is meant to be only for short term usage :smiley:

So what we can do is seek the presence of spirits and gods, it would be of great good if we had group of occultists that we could truly trust too - in here anyone can read or join and write whatever.