Apostrophes

I have noticed that in certain demons’ names and chants, the writer puts in apostrophes. Can someone explain to me what the purpose of these are? Are they to separate syllables? Are they glottal or epiglottal stops? I can’t really put my finger on it.

1 Like

It’s usually a glottal stop. That depends on the language of course. Sometimes it stands for separation of vowels without the stop. In English we usually add a silent letter like ‘h’.

Crap, I just forgot what word I was going to use as an example…

Don’t worry too much about pronouncing ancient words correctly. People from different towns would have different ways to pronounce things and spelling of words was a complete mess. Attention, effort, and respect are what’s important about using old languages.

That’s sort of a contradiction…
What I mean is, try your best, but mispronouncing something isn’t going to screw you up.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

It indicates possession :rofl:

1 Like

Thats the most difficult by reading demonic texts. I found it better to emphasize it like it feels in that moment :joy:

I usually use the apostrophe as a ‘rolling stop’.

When chanting, the silence can become a syllable in and of itself, but completely stopping can change it.

“Completing the word is better than it being “disjo, inted”, the pause when incorporated correctly gives (room to breathe/reflects the void/lets energy manifest, along those lines i cant word it precisely)” says an older spirit nearby

1 Like