Anyone have a clue what this is besides just cool as hell?

So a few years ago- I’ve been meaning to post this awhile ago- mamma brought this home for me because she thought I’d like it. She was right. Got it from Salvation Army I believe of all places. Anyways does anyone happen to have a clue if there’s some origin of significance here- I mean it just plain looks cool as hell- don’t know why- always thought of Kali when I look at it. There is no “made in” anywheres on it. I apologize for the crappy pics- no matter what light I take it in there’s either a nasty glare or worse picture- her she be

1 Like

To me it looks like I wanna say Hinduism I seen something similar before let me see if I can find it

I can’t remember it’s been awhile but if I remember right it was in a temple in the mountains

2 Likes

Kinda what I thought as well. Has a Kali feel to it to me- at least the Indiana Jones and the temple of doom version.

My brain said oni mask

https://nohmask21.com/eu/onijapan04.html

2 Likes

Some other examples, they vary pretty widely i havent explored there origins much.

images (29)

download (9)

3 Likes

Very cool. Could be a depiction but it’s not like mask size- that frame is like probably 8"x10"

1 Like

Tibetan?

2 Likes

@Dinmiatus,
I’ve seen masks similar to the red ones you posted, outside some rich people’s houses here in india, I assume they are to protect from curses, evil eye, etc.

1 Like