Anime and the Occult

Ya I liked Blackthorne and Bob too. The actor for Bob (forgot his name) did a nice job of making Bob kind of annoyed, almost, most of the time.
I didn’t watch enough to see if his full personality came through or not.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of there being more decent non-disney animated series and movies in the US.
Dresden files could be an amazing animated series and not some crappy Nickelodeon like junk.

So far over seas are the only ones doing anything good in that department.

1 Like

Oh I watched the entire series on netflix when it was on :slight_smile: Bob was one of my favorite characters from the show and they started to flesh him out even in the first season.

Yes sadly I have not seen any like that either in the U.S.

If you’re into the darker side and dig Lovecraft-like horror I’d suggest this Manga/Anime author.

Junji Ito is a genius. His Collection is on Netflix and it’s decently close to his Manga but the Manga is amazing.

2 Likes

Junjj Ito is indeed a genius…but I think his work is way better in manga format. The fish apocalypse anime for example is kinda hilarious instead of scary.

1 Like

Ya I agree, it just doesn’t translate to anime and give the same feeling.

1 Like

I’m enjoy the books cause the twists nad abundance of interesting concepts that ironically provide random insights into my own practice from time to time :laughing: some reason when ever i hit a roadblock in thought the missing dots pop up in the oddest places books,movies, anime, myth ect. :rofl:

For example the whole concept of the various “mantles of power” explored in ‘cold days’ has popped up for me in a few other places under different names over the years. Certain alchemical operations hint at similar results. :alien:

2 Likes

Has anybody seen ‘seven deadly sins prisoner of the sky’ movie? How was it?

1 Like

Has any body seen the anime movie- Grave of the firefly? Heard it is highly critically acclaimed!

Haven’t yet but I’ve heard you watch it once, you cry, but you never watch it again.
It’s a story about ww2, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Yea, if someone tells next time that anime cartoon, make them watch ‘Grave of the Firefly’.

“Grave of the fireFLIES” Sorry, but that bugged me. The name of the movie comes from multiple fireflies that die when they are released to provide light into a old mine if I remember correctly

2 Likes

Watching Deadman wonderland is interesting I hardly find gore animes that r good

Violet Evergarden brings you to tears! I just started watching Grandblue Fantasy ln Netflix. Little Witch Academia I need to finish and also the glitter force lmao. It reminds me so much like tokyo mew mew.

2 Likes

This was a great reminder I need to watch them again. I have many I need to catch up on.

The ‘Fate’ Series starting from Zero to Apocrypha has a lot of gnostic and qabalistic references. Interesting to say the least.

Death Note is the best👍

If you are looking for occult themed series:

Ghost Hound: Puts an emphasis on astral projection, and is a running theme of the series. (Although very slow pacing)

Dorohedoro: Choas magick in a post-apocalyptic universe? Yes please. (One of my all-time favorite manga, just started airing the anime this season)

Mob Psycho 100: Not so much occult in context per-say, but I would recommend it regardless as it delivers a good message I think many practitioners could learn. The main character is a powerful psychic who strives to be capable of living without the use of his abilities.

Mononoke: (Not to be confused with Princess Mononoke) Is centered amongst a traveling exorcist who rids of problematic spirits.

Ancient Magus Bride: I have a hate/love relationship with this one, but I thought I’d bring it up anyway. A girl gets sold at an auction and becomes an apprentice to a inhuman-mage. The world is brimming full of fae, and magic.

Other personal recommendations that aren’t occult-like but still epic:

Vinland Saga: Vikings, vikings, vikingsss. No seriously, watch it.

Ergo Proxy: Humans and androids coexist peacefully until a virus gives the robots self-awareness, causing them to commit a series of murders.

Psycho-Pass: Another cyberpunk setting, where it’s possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person’s state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, through the psycho-pass which quantifies a standard measure of an individual’s being.

Promised Neverland: Human children are being farmed as cattle.

Overlord: Issekai, that makes overpowered main protagonist work well. Did I also mention he’s a skeleton?

Serial Experiments Lain: Raises questions about God, the collective unconscious through machinery. (May take a couple rewatches to understand)

Made In Abyss: A girl who befriends a robot descends into the abyss to find her mother. (Don’t be fooled by the art-style, this is a very dreary series)

3 Likes

Tasogare-Otome-x-Amnesia for those of you who have a Succubus GF :smirk: