Angelic vs. Demonic

A couple of questions to consider here. Firstly, what, in your opinion, is the real difference between and angel and a demon? I was always taught the most basic idea that angels represent everything good and demons represent everything evil, but obviously I’ve since realized it’s hardly that simple, or that entirely always fully true. Then of course there’s the common idea that demons were once angles themselves, who were kicked out of heaven, but then I’m not sure that isn’t just part of the biblical myth either.

There seems to always be this constant idea of a direct opposition in any case, that one force is the enemy of the other, that they are either other’s opposite, and that we are human beings must pick a side to align ourselves with. But I understand that many magicians work with both forces, both sides, for different reasons. It may not be nonsensical to do so. I am myself now sure that I have no need to pick a side either. I can do both. I mean, why not. Is it all just mostly symbolic then, in some way, the whole battle between good and evil, between light and dark?

They are opposite sides of the same coin. Demons represent chaos and freedom. While Angels represent order and control/self-control. Just like white magic is about being selfless and going down the path of sheding earthly desires, while black magic is about letting go of societies rules and embracing your inner wants and desires, accepting both the good and the bad that comes from within.

Good and evil are pointless notions, nothing is inherently one or the other, its just seen that way because of their preferences/the way they act or go about things. Society teaches us that morals/laws/control/self sacrifice are what good people do, while anything that is based on the self can be seen as selfish or evil. Its archaic.

well said. Not to mention that “Angels” is simply a very ‘over painted charicature’ coming from the Greek “Angelos”= simply “messenger”- neither good or bad, neither sent by god to do his will or not"—it is Always ASSUMED, it is ‘from the only Good and True God’ , but any research into all the religions Predating the birth of the first pre semetic, should effectively Dash the "One and Only True and Real Creator God into shards like a glass ship upon the rocks. Daemon- which is also greek, is where Demon comes from. They became evil simply due to the fact that “jews” were conquered by Greeks, and they believed Everyone and everything had a “Daemon”, which would work between both “Gods and Humanity”, in a religion where only the Priest can intercede between YH[the enforced only true god- and you be stoned to death to admit it was the same EA as in Babylon] and humanity- in order to reinforce their powerhold on the minds of the lesser educated and dare I say Intelligent, the 'Evil Gr. Daemon/demon, absolutely Has To Be in direct Opposition of YH and his holy Chosen peeps.
i think that in order to be able to truly excersize ‘your own Inherant, what I call Divine Sovereignty, rising Above the mire of Impose Duality, you can then look down appropriately at all the "Gods Devils, Angels Demon, Godforms and Deific masks, whether they truly existed or not, and being able to see one CoEquality with them, and see them as simply ‘Carriers of Power Currents’, which you may them "tap into’, and access those powers in order to Grow and Empower those Deific Seeds already within you.
Now- go to any religion and their church, and tell them that “You are a Deity” and they will tell you that it is evil and bad to make oneself Equal to God. [even though he declared it first] but luckily in your fallen state they are here to help you ‘be convicted of your innate evil in order for you to be able to serve god in heaven forever.’ You tell me, which sounds more evil- to lie you into eternal servitude; or tell you the truth about your divinity and the “Currents and Carriers[aka messangers]” who stand happily and Readliy to Assist you in the Elevation to your “Natural State”? just thinking.

[quote=“Oceanos, post:2, topic:5134”]They are opposite sides of the same coin. Demons represent chaos and freedom. While Angels represent order and control/self-control. Just like white magic is about being selfless and going down the path of sheding earthly desires, while black magic is about letting go of societies rules and embracing your inner wants and desires, accepting both the good and the bad that comes from within.

Good and evil are pointless notions, nothing is inherently one or the other, its just seen that way because of their preferences/the way they act or go about things. Society teaches us that morals/laws/control/self sacrifice are what good people do, while anything that is based on the self can be seen as selfish or evil. Its archaic.[/quote]

Here’s a quote from Franz Bardon I particularly like, and I think it sums things up nicely;

“Fundamentally, however, there is neither good nor evil; this is all based upon human concepts. In the universe there exists neither good nor evil, because everything has been created through immutable laws. The divine principles are reflected in these laws, and only through knowing these laws will we be able to get closer to the divine”.

What category is spirits and entities of dual personalities? They don’t fall in the “angels” or “demons” behavior pattern, according to the description of either sides.

Dualism is rarely spoken of, and shouldn’t be considered a human exclusivity. The freedom of choice, to be good or less good, to make a choice to actively aid or passively watch when summoned or called upon. And to make a choice of saying “yes” or “no”, for whatever personal reason they have, even if they can do a “bidding”.

Does dualism makes spirits or entities “unpredictable”, in comparison to the “overly simplistic” description of a “demon” or “angel”? I don’t think so, but the choice of cooperation is made both by us and them, which makes individual development applicable to all involved.

[quote=“Blazewind Bluebird, post:1, topic:5134”]A couple of questions to consider here. Firstly, what, in your opinion, is the real difference between and angel and a demon? I was always taught the most basic idea that angels represent everything good and demons represent everything evil, but obviously I’ve since realized it’s hardly that simple, or that entirely always fully true. Then of course there’s the common idea that demons were once angles themselves, who were kicked out of heaven, but then I’m not sure that isn’t just part of the biblical myth either.

There seems to always be this constant idea of a direct opposition in any case, that one force is the enemy of the other, that they are either other’s opposite, and that we are human beings must pick a side to align ourselves with. But I understand that many magicians work with both forces, both sides, for different reasons. It may not be nonsensical to do so. I am myself now sure that I have no need to pick a side either. I can do both. I mean, why not. Is it all just mostly symbolic then, in some way, the whole battle between good and evil, between light and dark? [/quote]

The angel is,IMO,by definition,an entity with no free will who’s primary goal in existence,is serving the Will of the Divine.In the act of Evocation,the Will of the Divine,is YOUR WILL.

The Demon is much more free.He has power,he embodies it,but seeks nothing more than to exert it on this world.You have desire,but may not have enough power.The Demon has power,but no attachments,and no desire.

Ergo,the angel seeks to do things,and to teach you things,because he wants your will brought about in the world.The demon,seeks to do things and to teach you things,because he wants your power to be brought about in this world.

Ultimately,in the same manner that White Magic and Black Magic are flawed ideas because magic is…magical,so too is the idea of Angels and Demons slightly flawed.

In EA’s experiences,the more it resists classification,the more demonic it is,and that any entity when looked at deeply enough is demonic.

But even this is not sufficient enough to draw a clear line.

In non-Abrahamic sources,the demon is the adversarial figure,and the angel is the subordinate of the mightier entities…

However,the word demon,comes from the Greek word daemon which signified any more powerful spirit,and these spirits served Olympians and Titans alike…they were executing the will of the Divine…ergo,daemons are angels,and titans are demons.And the protogenoi are…um…something.

And in reality,I see,and feel a strong difference between those two,but can’t put my finger on it.

And in the end,I feel spiritual light and spiritual darkness,yet at a primal level,both light and darkness are nothing more than the clear evanescent progeny of the Eternal Source.And yet we think of light and angels,and darkness and demons.Evoking demons leaves astral residue that’s dark,evoking angels leaves warmth…

Right…well,this is getting confusing,isn’t it?

Well,I’m just here to make it more confusing.:smiley:

For starters,not all demons tie in with darkness and vice-versa.Samael does execute a higher will,he brings death and plague,and pestilence,and forbidden knowledge,and death,and saturian stuff,and more death.

But does he really light up the room with a raw sense that you’re with the nicest most benevolent entity ever?

And Lucifer,he’s a demon,right?Well,he is a demon…of light.Not just physical light,also spiritual.And while this can be applied to glamour magic(Lucifer-Venus-Copper-Glamours) or something like that,it also means he can teach you to banish,and do all that stuff.

So does he really feel like he’s a dark and evil guy,even though he brings such an air of light to the room?

And not every angel I evoke is Deggal,or Derdekea,who turn the entire room into a pool of positive energy.And not every demon I evoke is Belial,who shows me how I can literally use darkness as a manifestation base for the Devil’s Stone ritual.

And there is no such thing as an intrinsic good and evil.There are things that we are programmed to think are evil,and good,does that make them intrinsic because they come as a consequence of nature?

Or does that not make them intrinsic because they are not set in stone and wouldn’t exist without us?

And while we’re at it,if you are the master of your own subjective reality,does that mean if you think homicide of both culpable people and innocents is PERFECTLY OKAY,then does that make Glasya-Labolas an angel?

I mean,your will is the higher will,and your will defines ethics,and your will defines homicide as OK,and your will is executed by Glasya Labolas who readily kills.

Is the President of Hell an angel?

Now,let’s listen to other people and stuff.According to many evocators,demons are demons because they are pure power that don’t care about the morality behind an action.

And angels are angels because they want to do stuff only if it helps you in personal ascent or others.

The angel will readily kill an obstacle in your path,but not fight some squabble that will only keep you busy on pointless stuff.

Except…I’ve had Uriel help me understand the beautiful depths of relationships with my family members,I’ve had Raphael mending ties that would clearly keep me away from magical ascent,and I’ve had Derdekea ease my conscience so I could keep on making more mistakes:being more human.

Likewise,I have had Balaam telling me that he’d rather not bring me the money,because what I intended to spend it on was pointless,and gave me a big lecture on my immaturity.

So,honestly…it’s confusingly ambiguous,lol.Not the most fruitful message,perhaps,but that’s my two…err…three…um…five…um…way too many cents.

4 Likes

Demons take energy. Angels take thought

1 Like

Resurrecting this old thread, because I want Sawbenah or someone to attempt to elaborate on what Sawbenah said. ^

Also because my response is really inspiring and fascinating.

Haha. Well, yes. It is. I’m more confused by Sawbenah’s response. Is it in agreement to your response, Arcane? Or is he saying that demons run on your energy while angels run on your thoughts? Or is Sawbenah explaining a difference in how to summon them, communicate with them…?

I haven’t seen Sawbenah in a long time - he might have left before I arrived - so perhaps someone who understood what he meant, or experienced the same UPG that he is referring to, can elucidate.

[quote=“Salpinx, post:10, topic:5134”]Haha. Well, yes. It is. I’m more confused by Sawbenah’s response. Is it in agreement to your response, Arcane? Or is he saying that demons run on your energy while angels run on your thoughts? Or is Sawbenah explaining a difference in how to summon them, communicate with them…?

I haven’t seen Sawbenah in a long time - he might have left before I arrived - so perhaps someone who understood what he meant, or experienced the same UPG that he is referring to, can elucidate.[/quote]

I have no idea,his post simply confused me.