Adapting a small home for magick work

I live in a one bedroom apartment and all the rooms are in use. I am at present reading E. A. Koetting’s “Evoking Eternity” and trying to follow his guidelines for creating a separate magick work place. Atm I am unable to move due to present circumstances i.e. the pandemic. Did anybody else have this similar obstacle and if so, what was your workaround?

2 Likes

Before the world went into one endless rerun of “Contagion” I had to travel a lot, living in hotel rooms for quite some time and stuff. I discovered that a “travel altar” did the job really well. I had a small wooden box with a sigil, a tea candle, herbs and crystals inside of it. At the end of each day I could prop up the box and used the box and its contents like a room. A very tiny and basic room. It helped me to stay in practice “on the run”

6 Likes

I have a two bedroom apartment. I just use my bedroom or my bathroom. For me it the whole apartment is for Magick though since I have a kitchen altar. It’s not the space it’s the dedication and intent.

3 Likes

This. Before I had my own altar room I had to do everything magick related in the living room, the same room my partner used as a music studio. My first altar was a wooden chest that I could close down if someone would visit us. I had no weaker results because of that shared/multi used room situation. Now I have an own room because I can, thats all.

2 Likes

Thank you @A_Pariah, @Angelb1083 for those words of advice. I agree that you can make it magickal regardless of not having a separate room for magick practice…now I have another goal to acheive. :call_me_hand:My apartment resonates with energy from performing various spells, meditation rituals and qigong. Again thanks for giving me options…stay safe and blessings to you both

1 Like

I use my back porch (townhouse). If I were in an apartment and had a balcony, I’d use that. Outside of not touching the ground, it’s not much different. Really, I only use a 3x3 area, if that. I do my stuff at night when my neighbors are mostly distracted by the television, don’t make a lot of noise, and haven’t had an incense complaint yet, outside of my wife.

1 Like

Thank you @anon39079500. The 3x3 space you reffer to, is that in metres or feet?

1 Like

I don’t really do altars, I just have a circle I made out of a sheet and paint. It folds up for travel and sometimes I lay it out in front of the fire downstairs just for the change of scenery.

Failing that, I just sit wherever and call in the directions, with no props at all. If you feel the lack, you could make an astral temple and visualse all the fun bits there, which is also nice as you can put things there that you don’t own or that don’t exist in the physical.

1 Like

Used to have my devotional altar on the middle shelf of my bookcase when I lived in a small apartment. My practicing altar was my mom’s old makeup selling briefcase and was big enough to hold my ritual supplies when not in use. Incense use however was somewhat…problematic…indoors, so I fairly often took my craft into the nearby woods.

2 Likes

That is an inetresting concept @Mulberry. I would like an altar as part of my persona aooreciates things of beauty and asthetics. I love your idea for performing with minimal tools, great for outdoor rituals

I have heard off different practitioner’s that they utilize 3 altars; an Ancstral Altar, A Personal Altar and a Working Altar. Is it possible they use these different altars for different types of magic?

Feet. I’m a minimalist with ritual, so I really don’t need a lot of space, nor a standing/fixed altar.

1 Like

If its studio adapt. I live in a bedrom sp usually kitchen isy main room. Or were i sleep.but rare.

…Everything is disguised as art
My altar is a small wooden board the size of a sheet of paper with sigils, and visual aides to get me into that state of mind fast…

The idea of a portable altar is awesome too (and there is a thread for it) , especially if u wish to always have your tools in possession (a simple messenger or book bag) to always have that connection…

2 Likes