A little help

I am writing a book, and I have shown some friends the idea and prologue and stuff and got their opinions, but I have some trust issues and don’t want my idea stolen by someone else, so what could i do? Magically AND non magically?

As I writer myself, I feel you, but I have to tell you that your ideas are most likely not original so don’t fear having your ideas stolen because it is never the idea that makes a book, but the way it is put together. There are a myriad of books out there about boy wizards, but the way Harry Potter was put together made it what it is (it also hit at the right time and was able to capture the zeitgeist but that’s a whole 'nother story).

The fact is, ideas germinate from what we read, what we hear, what we see, and how we interpret all of it. In science, researchers have the same ideas all the time, all over the world, but credit goes to whoever publishes first.

My advice would be not to worry about it. Professional writers don’t so why should you?

2 Likes

Yeah, your right, I’m probably being paranoid over nothing.

1 Like

Work on your book and don’t worry about your friends. Unless they are writers too, and are going to put in the effort to write their own book, I think you’re safe.

Professional authors get approached all the time by people who think their ideas are original and want to give them to the writer and share in the profits, which only goes to show that most people have no idea how hard it is to actually write a book. They think an idea alone entitles them to 50% of the profits when it is the writer that does 100% of the work.

2 Likes